View Full Version : MRI scans...

22nd August 2008, 12:05 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot since seeing the programme....

Would it be wise, or useful to just take the dogs and get an MRI done even if there are no symptoms as yet... but just incase there is anything abnormal, it can be caught quickly? Is it possible to do that? Would there be a point to it?

Am I just overreacting here? I'm not sure I am. Holly is 1 year old now, and Murphy is between 2.5 and 3 years (he's my wee rescue boy so not sure exactly how old).

I know it may mean we need to get them MRI'd again at a later stage as well.

I know everyone is a bit panicky etc at the moment, and I'm not sure if I am just getting myself all worked up here. But I feel like I am completely watching the dogs a lot more closely than I had done previously!

I'm a real worry wart!

22nd August 2008, 01:01 PM
I'd not put a dog through an MRI -- which requires general anaesthesia -- unless there's a reason to do so. A good reason might be

concern about potential symptoms and referral by a vet
scanning breeding dogs
scanning for research if there's pedigree information
feeling strongly that you need to know status

Given that a large number of asymptomatic dogs will show a syrinx, it comes down to whether you feel you want to know this is the case. In my own case, as a pet owner I would -- and have -- MRI my dogs for research and/or out of concern at possible symptoms. That is how I learned Leo had SM and I was able to start him on frusemide long before he was symptomatic. That may or may not have been helpful to him in allowing him now to reach age 5 with a very good quality of life, just on gabapentin for some scratching and some pain. Most people would never guess he has SM.

On the other hand I have not scanned my other two. If I again went over to the UK for low cost scanning on my boys, I would probably have Lily done as well. But that is a different context to just deciding to scan.

It really comes down to personal choice and what you would do with the information.

22nd August 2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Karlin. I'm not making any rash decisions or anything, but had been thinking about it and wondered if it was something to be considered.

26th August 2008, 08:36 PM
I presume that an insurance company wouldn't pay out to MRI scan an asymptomatic dog. Would that be right?

26th August 2008, 10:46 PM
No I don't think they would pay out Fran. You would struggle to get your vet to refer you anyway.

The only way you could do it would be to have one done at a low cost MRI centre


Cavalier Health
Reduced Cost MRI Scanning Scheme & Centres

Chestergates is now about £270

HTH :flwr: