• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"BBC pedigree expose is a dog's dinner"

Lisa_T

(headline)

In "Letters" in the Daily Mail today a Cav breeder Dennis Homes complained that the programme 'failed to show the vast inroads made in recent years'. He claims that the life expectancy of Cavs has 'increased by two years in the past two decades'. He complains that Passionate Productions 'ignored the positive points put to it by the Kennel Club and some individual breeders, and gave only a negative impression, making what amounted to a sensationalist "tabloid TV" programme.' [Grrr!]

Another correspondent states she was 'horrified' to 'learn how unregulated inbreeding has condemned thousands of pedigree dogs to unhealthy and often painful lives' and says that the 'Kennel Club committee and most breeders shown were so full of self-importance they refused to act, even to follow the example of Sweden, which now has regulations protecting these animals.'

Couldn't find a link, thus the quotes.

I find it interesting to read the varied and passionate (and sometimes defensive) responses to this documentary.

There was no obligation for the documentary makers to point out the "things being done right". It should be a given that breeders are doing right. Most of us pet owners are well aware most are. The fact that some aren't and the KC has no structure to deal with them is the reason a documentary of this nature was so badly needed.

The expose was of the ingrained culture within the dog world. Some are apparently upset that dirty laundry was aired, and the KC was definately caught unprepared.

I personally believe any organization which has the power of the KC should be open to scrutiny.

Arlene and her three: J P - Alaskan Husky, Missie - Cavalier x Tibetan Spaniel mix, Rocky - All Sporty Cavalier:)

The Kennel Club's new website is stating that there is only a 2% rate of SM in cavaliers and that it only became apparent in dogs 5 years ago. First published papers on SM in dogs were from 1996, first published work on SM in cavaliers cavaliers is from 1997, *11* years ago, reflecting research ongoing before then, and I have seen the correspondence with the club from 1996-97 raising the issue of SM directly with the main club.

So if the KC is complaining that no on is getting the facts right on the side of the film, they certainly show a major lack of awareness of the many international studies, conference presentations, published papers etc done since 1996.

Earliest papers:

Occipital dysplasia and associated cranial spinal cord abnormalities in two dogs. Rodney S. Bagley, Michael L. Harrington, Russell L. Tucker, Ronald D. Sande, Charles R. Root, Robert W. Kramer. Vet. Rad. & Ultra. Sept 1996; 37(5): 359.

Persistent scratching in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Rusbridge C. Vet Rec. Aug 1997;141(7):179.

A syndrome of syringomyelia in the cavalier King Charles spaniel, and its treatment by syringo-subarachnoid shunting. Skerritt GC, Hughes D: In Proceedings from the 12th Annual Symposium of the European Society of Veterinary Neurology, Vienna, 23: 1998.

Syringohydromyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Rusbridge C, MacSweeny JE, Davies JV, Chandler K, Fitzmaurice SN, Dennis R, Cappello R, Wheeler SJ. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2000 Jan-Feb;36(1):34-41.

Chiari 1/syringomyelia complex in a King Charles Spaniel. Churcher RK, Child G. Aust Vet J. 2000 Feb;78(2):92-5.

Cavaliers skull shape has changed so much since the 80s and 90s .i wish people would health screen there dogs.

Hello,

I am very interested in any concrete evience reagrding the shape of the skull.
In Germany I hear again and again from some that you can see if a dog has SM just by looking at his head - despite the experience we have scanning here that shows no correlation at all!

kind regards,

katehrine

Back