• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Amie is now almost 5 months old

daveoirl

Hard to believe really, it is only when you look at the pictures when she is really little that you realise how much she had grown!
Here she is when we got her:
2604220963_d8e69a7869.jpg

And here she is now
2796900529_110be719a1.jpg

She sure likes sleeping
2797744498_f9cc209fcd.jpg

On a side note, I started teaching her to lie down last night...and she got it in roughly 3 minutes. They are such clever little dogs!

She so much resembles our Qnotje :)
If I now look at her baby pics she was such a fat little baby I just love it :D

We're wishing ours slept a little more.

May I ask how you taught the "down" thing? Binne is a real jumper and is getting ready to clear her 3x3 foot pen. She's started using it as a ladder. We've got sit down but are just working on lie down. She's about the same age as yours (will be Sept. 11 so she's still a couple weeks out from 5mos.)

Thanks!

No problem, here is how I did it:

1. I made a fist with my hand an put a treat kind of in the "hole" (if that makes sense) and the top of the fist. Basically so Amie would be able to smell it when I put it up to her nose, but she couldn't get to it.
2. I then told her to sit
3. When she sat down I put my hand with the treat up to her nose and then slowly brought it to the ground and towards me as I said "Lie Down". So basically I was getting her to follow my hand down and towards me
4. After a few attempts she lay down in order to get to the treat. I then said "Lie Down" again and gave her the reward
5. I repeated this a number of times, until she was doing it everytime

At this point she would always lie down whenever I commanded, and also pointed at the ground in front of her. But I wanted her to do it on command, without any visual clues. So what I did was:

1. Same as before, told her to sit
2. Then I said Lie Down
3. If she didn't lie down I said "no" gently and ignored her for a few moments
4. Then I would say lie down again

Repeated the above until she eventually lay down with the visual clues and she got a treat and lots of petting and praise.

There was a problem afterwards though, in that whenever I said SIT she would just lie down. She was probably predicting the same sequence I used above (ie: he is telling me to sit, and he will then tell me to lie down, so I will go one step ahead!!). So I took some time to remove this behaviour:

1. Told her to sit
2. If she then lay down I would say no and ignore her for a few moments and move away
3. Then call her again and say sit. If she sat down and did nothing else I rewarded her
4. I then would tell her to sit. When she did so, I waited a few moments and said Lie Down. If she then lay down once again she got lots of praise!

Hope this helps!

Back