• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about patella surgery...

nursejess80

For those of you who've had dogs with subluxating patella surgery, how long do they typically limp? Ruby had it about 6 weeks ago now, and she's putting weight on it, but not her full weight. She doesn't limp much once she gets going, but she's really stiff after getting up from naps. I was just wondering if this was normal for the recovery process or if I should be expecting more from her. I thought about putting her on glucosamine to help with her joints, but I'm going to talk to the vet first before doing it.

Pippin barely had a limp at 3 mo. after surgery. Now at 10 months post-surgery he is doing great. He runs full speed and does quick turns and no limp. I keep him on Cosequin.

I've only ever had experience with this once with one of my IGs, but hers as so severe that I don't think her case is normal, but it took her a good 4 months before she had full use of the leg, and she was so use to having a bad leg that even though she CAN use that leg normally now, alot of time she'll choose to hold it up out of habit, and it's been about 8 months now since it was repaired.

Back