PDA

View Full Version : Problems with little Clancy

Siani
30th August 2008, 11:31 AM
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I brought little Clancy, now named Alfie, home on Tuesday. Apart from urinating indoors a few times, he's been as good as gold. He's adorable. However, I have a major problem, and it's looking like I will have to return him to the RSPCA, which I really, really do not want to do, as he's adorable, and doesn't deserve it one little bit.

The problem I have is this. He has very itchy skin, for which he is currently receiving vet treatment. But he scratches a lot, especially in the night. His feet and leg joints bang really loudly on my floor. No big deal for me, but it's driving my elderly, downstairs neighbour insane, as she's been kept awake every night since he's been here. She came out screaming and yelling at me this morning, as we came back from our walk, and told me she's complaining to our landlord, a local housing trust. If she does this, I will be made to return/rehome Alfie, aka Clancy, or face eviction.

As far as I'm concerned, she's being utterly unreasonable. I can understand her being annoyed at being woken, I really can. But she knows he's had a hard time and needs to settle. She also knows he's receiving regular treatment for his itchiness (next vet visit is on Monday), so that the problem will one day be resolved. But I think this is just the start of problems to come with her. I've just found out that she had some previous occupants of my flat thrown out for keeping a dog, and she's also complained about my lovely little lad walking around and playing with a ball. I just don't know what to do, and the thought of giving him up is heart-breaking.

If the worse comes to the worse, is there anyone in and around the Swansea or wider south-west Wales area who could please give this sweet little man a home? He takes a little bit of caring for, mainly eye care, but he's very easy to handle, and so gentle. He also enjoys three or four 20-25 minute walks every day. I feel obliged, if I can't keep him, to find him a good home, rather than just returning him to the shelter, where he was never happy. I'm absolutely devastated, as I'm sure he's happy here. Due to financial constraints, I'm in no position to move house, so it really looks like my sweet little dog cannot stay.

Louisma
30th August 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi

Please let me know if I can help - I am in Essex but as you may have seen have fostered before for Many Tears Rescue - so if I can help out I would be more than happy to.

However, as for the itching and banging on the floor - would it help if you used an exercise pen/crate with a large floor cushion in it so that the banging wouldnt be loud?

Good luck and please let me know if I can help,

Maxine

misty
30th August 2008, 01:25 PM
I have pm'd you.

Is the night-time scratching associated with his areas of bad skin?

(( Hugs )), I'm so sorry you're neighbour's being like that. It's hard when all you're trying to do is help a needy little soul, but your neighbour sounds pretty determined :(.

Fifer
30th August 2008, 02:40 PM
Can I ask a few questions?
Have you actually heard for yourself how noisy this "banging" is? The cushioned cage (perhaps by your bed?) is an excellent idea.

How elderly is this neighbour?
Has she met Clancy :dgwlk: and does she know how old he is? If so, could you suggest how horrible it would be for animal or human not to spend the last few months/years with people who care about you or if you were old being turfed out of the only home you'd ever had?

Or could you even suggest perhaps she isn't sleeping very deeply which is often true as we get older? :slp:

Perhaps just an apology and a bunch of flowers? :flwr:

Perhaps she doesn't get out much, if so perhaps a shopping trip could be arranged :drivecar:.

Sadly some people need little excuse to be nasty often it is purely because they do not feel valued or are just plain jealous, occasionally however there are people who like to have some kind of control over others and complaining about their kids/dogs/cats/music/housework :v*cuum: is a way of getting you to obey their wishes and giving them control over your life. If she is the former rather than the latter, then perhaps if you said "I had been really hoping you might help me look after him and perhaps babysit Clancy for me once in a while" :dogwlk: she might feel more involved.

If she is the latter, get your oar in first :blabla: and approach the housing trust, be very polite and explain about her abusive complaint to you, what you are doing to alleviate the noise and that she is being unreasonable, just because the housing trust listened to her first complaint against her previous neighbours does NOT mean they will permit her to ride roughshod over other residents lifestyles.

Good Luck! :thmbsup:

shippers
30th August 2008, 03:51 PM
What has your vet said about Clancy's skin problems? Is it a problem that can be treated and in time the scratching will stop? Can your vet give you something to alleviate the itching? This may only be a temporary problem and hopefully will resolve in time and then your neighbour can not complain. Another idea may be to walk Clancy for a longer period in the evening to tire him out so that he will sleep through the night? I really think the idea of cushioning his sleeping area so the noise won't be loud is worthwhile. I'm sure if you discuss this problem with your vet they will be able to prescribe a drug for itching whilst he is being treated for the problem. Good luck with this little boy

frecklesmom
30th August 2008, 04:33 PM
This is a sad situation but may be fixable with thick bedding and if you have a fan handy you could try cooling the room. They always get so warm at night and that does make the itching worse. I would try the approaches to your neighbor and, if she's not too sleep deprived, maybe she'll listen. Is the area where Clancy sleeps directly above her sleeping area? You could pull on her heartstrings and include his history and upcoming vet visit. I would think she would relate to an older, abandoned dog. :xfngr:

Jasperxxgabby
30th August 2008, 11:58 PM
First of all you should contact your Housing Trust and ask them are you allowed a dog as part of your tenants agreement. I really hope you are allowed a dog as its a flat, and the fact the previous tenants were evicted for owning a dog.

:xfngr: Clancy is allowed to live there then I would log all abusive rants you take off this neighbour, and follow all the advice from above posts:flwr:. You shouldn't have to put up with being "screamed and yelled at", you did well staying calm she does'nt sound the ideal neighbour but remember she is at fault, not you for owning a rescue dog with skin problems.

Thinking of you and Clancy/Alfie.:)

*Pauline*
31st August 2008, 12:14 AM
I believe if you adopted the dog from the RSPCA you are bound to give back to them "IF you give him up. But, I wouldn't give him up :) you obviously love him.

I would give some flowers to the old lady and say sorry and you will try putting him in another room. Give her your telephone number and tell her she can call you if she is disturbed. Is your bathroom or kitchen floor more solid? Maybe Clancy can sleep in these rooms.

I definitely wouldn't have him in your bedroom assuming her bedroom is directly below.

I think the best way to keep her sweet is to befriend her. Ask her is there anything you can do for her to make up for this temporary situation, maybe give her a knock and ask if she needs any thing if you are going shopping.

Siani
31st August 2008, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your kind responses and advice. I was a bit distraught when I posted my message yesterday, but I've had a chance to think clearly now. I have the housing trust's permission to keep a dog. The RSPCA will not release a pet to rented accommodation without seeing proof of permission to keep the animal. I also asked my neighbour, in advance, if she had any objections to the dog coming here. She said she didn't.

She's about 68, and is highly intolerant of any noise or disruption whatsoever. In an ideal world, none of us would have to endure either, but it's unrealistic to expect 100% peace 100% of the time. She has a reputation for being a bit of a Tartar and a moaner, which the housing trust is aware of. I've lived above her for ten and a half years, and never so much as held a party or blasted music, or anything nasty like that, as I have respect for the fact that she's almost 30 years older than me. This is the first time she has heard any kind of overnight noise from my flat, in more than ten years.

She doesn't go out much, but then, she never has, and she was only in her late fifties when I first moved here. I've got along pretty well with her during this time, simply because I've always respected her right to peace and quiet, often at the expense of my own social life. But this episode over Alfie/Clancy, is the final straw for me. She's met him, seemed to like him, and now this. The dog's only been here five days!

My only concern is that the housing trust has usually given in to her when she's made complaints about other neighbours, just to shut her up. The neighbours each side are private owners, and she has persecuted everyone to ever live in the adjoining house, simply because their children made a noise playing, or they banged the front door, or they had late night visitors. I'm determined this sweet little dog is staying here, so I'm afraid she's got a fight on her hands, if she doesn't start to behave more reasonably.

The good news is, the little fellow happily slept at the rear of the flat last night, as far away from my neighbour as possible. I'm a light sleeper, and heard nothing. Hopefully, our housing officer, who knows us both well, will see the situation for what it is. I really don't want this poor little dog to have to be re-homed again.

Once again, thanks for the responses, and all the advice. I truly appreciate it.

Siani :lotsaluv:

Karlin
31st August 2008, 04:56 PM
Hey that's great news! :dogwlk:

frecklesmom
31st August 2008, 05:45 PM
Way to go, Siani :rah:

Louisma
31st August 2008, 05:49 PM
Well done Siani I'm glad a good nights sleep has enabled you to see this situation for what it is - hope things work out okay for you.:rah:

karenc
31st August 2008, 06:15 PM
Stand your ground Siani. Your neighbour sounds a right tyrant. I think you have been more than fair with her, you have been quiet for the last 10 years if she doesnt like it let her lump it !!! I dont know if you have children but if not she should be grateful for 10 years of peace, you cant keep bairns quiet 24/7. I hope little Alfie gets better soon, not for your neighbours sake, but for his. I hope you do keep him he needs your love more than your neighbour needs quiet . Good luck.:)

misty
31st August 2008, 07:12 PM
:) :)

Well done Siani, and Clancy for sleeping in his new 'bedroom'. x

Jasperxxgabby
2nd September 2008, 01:31 AM
Siani, I think this lady is lucky to have you as a neighbour, your patience and consideration stands out, Clancy is a lucky pup that you found him, and he'll repay you back with his love and loyalty.:)
I truly hope this lady leaves you alone, so you can enjoy Alfie with peace of mind.:):flwr:

emsley
4th September 2008, 07:13 PM
Well done, Alfie, and what a relief, Siani !
Chloe has short legs, and when she has a good scratch, she can make a noise on the wooden floors!
I am in the Cardiff area, so if you ever need a 'port in a storm' I can always help out - hopefully little Alfie will be with you forever

ice-cavi
4th September 2008, 07:24 PM
that´s good news I hope it will continue to work out this way:xfngr:

Gem
4th September 2008, 08:27 PM
thats great news:)
just to reassure you, I work for a housing association and it is not that easy to ask owners to get rid of their pets if they have been granted permission. If she keeps complaining, to have proper evidence of the noise she would need to get enviromental health involved to monitor the noise levels, they would not be able to just ask you to get rid of him because a neighbour has made a complaint.
hope things settle down soon

Maxxs_Mummy
5th September 2008, 12:22 AM
Oh my word my heart goes out to you. This woman sounds just like my mother :rolleyes:
I'm glad little Clancy settled into his new room and I'm sure he'll have a long and happy life with you. When you see the woman just smile sweetle and be polite - nothing winds miserable moaning people up more! :devlish: <grin>

As for his skin problems, given time and a good diet then hopefully he will be fine. when my Charlie came to me he was a real mess. In fact, he scratched so much that I had him MRI'd and was convinced he's have to be PTS with severe SM.... 2 years down the line he's a different dog.

He had scratched so much that he was almost bald but covered in weeping excema, cysts that kept bursting :yuk: & had gungy ears and eyes. After having immuno suppressants and then allergy jabs (that we finished last week) he is absolutely fine. He just has 1/4 of a 5mg prednisone a day to keep the itching at bay and no other allergy problems at all.

I do however feed him on a hypoallergenic food. So if I can be of any help at all or a shoulder then don't hesitate to PM me.

Big hugs for you both - the neighbour sounds like my worst nightmare!

Take care

Donna, Maxx :paw: and Charlie :paw: