• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The difference that two make!

FranklinFreckles

Hello everyone!

If you remember, we had our newest little baby girl come home a few weeks ago and began our life with TWO cavalier king charles spaniels!

I just wanted to share some of the amazing differences that having two cavaliers makes!

Housebreaking is SO much easier this time around! She has an accident every few days that is usually due to my wanting to sleep in or otherwise being lazy but she had basically nailed the concept her second day home! When I take them outside together, they tend to poop in unison! :rolleyes:

Franklin is such a good boy and will always go potty as soon as we go outside and he's definitely rubbed off on her to do the same, which is great in the morning before work!

I also just realized that climbing stairs is a tricky concept for puppies, reading someone else's thread about their four month old dog.

It was only a few days ago that little Penny was bolting up the stairs right after her big brother! She picked it up immediately just watching him go! She even runs up them with the same kind of "hop hop hop" that he does which is very funny! :lotsaluv:

They love playing together and are quite good at wearing eachother out. Plus, when those puppy teeth want to sink into something, nothing is better than a patient big brother! Sure is allot better than people fingers!

Of course, he taught her bad habits too, like picking up anything and everything we find on the ground while outside playing or walking, doh!

Getting a second cavalier was the best thing I could have done, and to think I was worried! :jump:

:):) I'm so glad you are enjoying having two!! They are so fun to watch together and you know they never get lonely when you're gone. I found the same thing with regards to housetraining. Shelby was so much easier than Jake. She just picked up right behind him. It was great!!

Can't wait to hear more!!

I must admit i thought it would be a little harder,but Alfs has been FANTASTIC.He has done alot of the work for me,bless him.I couldnt have done it without his patients and funness.

:rah: Wow, this is so great to hear. We will be picking up our new baby in 2 weeks, and I hope it works out for us like it did for you. :) I've never had two dogs at once before, and of course I'm a bit nervous about it. Jato is such a lover, and I know he will be so excited to have a little sister- we can't wait!

The second is a dream, I agree, although it took Holly AGES to get really used to Amber. They're great now and I'd never have only one Cavalier again, I think. This is a breed that really does love its own.

BTW, if I were you I'd check about the wisdom of allowing a young Cav pup to run up and down stairs, but I might be wrong.

Congrats on your new baby! :D

I agree having more than one is great..Gus basically taught Pippin to toilet outside as Pippin just copied him.

:confused: Are stairs off limits? I was not aware of this.

She was not allowed to even attempt to use the stairs until she was 14 weeks old and was never coaxed or encouraged, she just picked it up like a natural watching her brother. I still carry her most of the time, but at 14/15 weeks old, should stairs be a no-no still?

Yes stairs are of limits.They fall down easily,and the most scary thing is when they try to go through the railings.

Back