PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Star has all 29

frecklesmom
1st September 2008, 03:24 AM
Luck Star took all 29 Cavaliers from the WVa puppy mill and has pictures of some of them on the website including a mama pregnant. Their eyes are sad now but that will change

Have a look :)

http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org

Cathy T
1st September 2008, 03:26 AM
Way to go Lucky Star!!! I think it's wonderful how people from all across the country have jumped in and offered to help.

Karlin
8th September 2008, 12:02 AM
I missed this -- that's great they all went there -- boy that will be a lot to foster and get sorted for them though! If people are thinking about fostering now might be a good time to contact them. :)

JaneB
12th September 2008, 04:27 AM
Hello, All. I have a bit of info on the WV Cavaliers/ET's that I thought I'd share.

Yesterday I picked up 7 of the 29 for Transport from Ohio to Indiana. There were 5 lovely English Toy Spaniels and 2 gorgeous Cavaliers. This is the second group to go into our foster system.

Sadly, these are some of the skinniest dogs I have ever seen in my life. If you've ever watched any of the Animal Planet's "Cop" shows you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm fostering one of the Cavaliers, Maggie. I'll post some pictures soon. You'll be able to see quite clearly what these poor creatures have had to endure. All the dogs have been spayed/neutered, had their shots and a couple have had minor surgeries to remove tumors or repair hernias. I was surprised at how good looking they all were. Both Cavaliers are tiny but absolutely perfect (but skinny). The ET's are small as well and quite stunning (but skinny).

Once everyone is evaluated and fattened up a bit, we'll have all their photo's up on the LS website.

Thanks to all for your support and kind words. This is quite an undertaking both physically and financially for a volunteer organization. And, as always, we need foster homes and people to help with transportation. If you think you would like to help, please visit the Lucky Star website at www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org. Donations are always appreciated.

I'll attempt to keep you posted on Maggie's progress.

DJ and Cream
12th September 2008, 03:26 PM
Are you sure Lucky Star needs transportation volunteers?

I volunteered a week ago via the website and no one has contacted me yet.

WoodHaven
12th September 2008, 03:55 PM
Are you sure Lucky Star needs transportation volunteers?

I volunteered a week ago via the website and no one has contacted me yet.

Transportation of the rescues can be a big issue. The commercial breeding establishment was on the east coast state, so doing a home visit and getting a rescue to you could be difficult.

ppotterfield
12th September 2008, 09:59 PM
I have for the most part been a "backseat" participant with rescue,
giving money, helping others locate possible foster and forever
homes, working on education issues, mostly with my "other" breed (Clumber Spaniels). However, back in late August I had my first "hand-on" experience, working with Lucky Star and transporting eight Cavaliers from the puppy mill in Parkersburg, West Virginia, part of the way on their trip to be vetted and fostered in Michigan.

I did not have time to write then but seeing the posts yesterday and today, I thought I would share a little of my experience with you and encourage you if you have never done this to volunteer when you can. It was an eye-opening experience.

I will always remember the sight in the warehouse where the dogs were taken to await transport, the smell the dogs left on my clothes after I held them, the terrible mats and curled toenails, the fact that they had no
muscle tone in their back legs, the fact that many quivered when I held
them or cowered in the back of the crate, or that none of my little
charges had any beautiful Cavalier feathering on their tails. But I will also remember the spirit of cooperation and caring among the volunteers, and the fact that in the four to five hours I knew them, each one, as scared as most of them were, showed a distinct personality and an individual spirit. While some will have more permanent scars than others, I somehow know they will learn and grow in foster care and will eventually thrive, each in his or her own way, in their forever home.

We all have roles to play in Rescue. I am sure mine will continue to
mainly be support behind the scenes, but my experience with the "Michigan 8" has solidified my committment to educate people about puppy mills and about the importance of responsible breeding and the responsible purchase of pure bred dogs.

Cathy T
13th September 2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks for sharing that with us Phyllis. You gave me goosebumps as I read it. I appreciate hearing the good along with the bad. Job well done!!

Rumor
13th September 2008, 02:58 PM
Transportation of the rescues can be a big issue. The commercial breeding establishment was on the east coast state, so doing a home visit and getting a rescue to you could be difficult.

I live in Indianapolis and volunteered to transport months ago and never heard back from anyone. I do this for all breeds but never heard back from Lucky Star or Cavalier Rescue. :confused:

Karlin
13th September 2008, 03:33 PM
Speaking as a rescue I can say that you tend often not to contact people til you need them. And sometimes people's offers get forgotten. But also these rescues may not have many dogs coming through -- as people in Ireland will know I do get quite a few dogs annually; maybe between 50-60 a year depending. Often even if I post for transport it gets sorted on its own, or I do it because of timing. And while I would like to reply to every offer of help or application for a dog, and do if I can, I am constantly pressured for time and sometimes I just forget.

Thus it is worth renewing an offer if you don't hear back. I think Lucky Star has rarely needed transport help in California as it is based so far away and a lot of the raids that produce a lot of dogs happen in midwest mill states close to them or are in the south or east. Most dogs tend to be homed to someone near to the base of the foster as well. My folks were on the Lucky Star list in Calif. for a while and only a single dog came up for rehoming in a year in the region, and I was told there were close to 100 on the waiting list there. Also if there are big gaps in a possible transport journey -- eg they have nobody in intermediate states -- they aren't going to even try and move a dog many states away. hence lots of things go into whether people get called but it is very useful to know that people are potentially available. :thmbsup: