• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

anyone want to save me from puppy crying problems.. ;(

laura85

i only got ollie yesterday so i know everything is early days.. but he just constantly cries when we put him in the play pen and if hes out he just wants to chew us - weve tried distracting him with toys but it doenst last long..

also his toilet training isnt really going to plan.. when he got uo this morning i took him outside for about 5 mins but he just constantly jumps up wanting me cos the grass is wet and cold. 2 mins after we get in he does a poo next to him bed :( i just cant get him to associate outside with going to the toilet, i cant exactly wait for better weather!

just feelin a bit upset about it all, im on my own too as my boyfriend is working today... any words of advice would be greatly appreciated x

This is totally normal. Puppies are VERY hard work -- this is like a human baby in workload -- and it is really important to be realistic in your approach and understanding of the situation. Housetraining will take many *weeks to months* -- you won't get a puppy who knows to go outside right away.

Do you have a good book on raising a puppy and on housetraining? I'd immediately order (from Amazon.co.uk) Dr Ian Dunbar's books on raising a puppy ("After you get your Puppy") and Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining. Also if you go to the training section, pinned at the top are loads of good training sites and they will all have recommendations on these questions. Also, if you do a search on this site, you will find many, many useful threads as these are two very common questions. Go have a search and I am sure you will get some good starting information. :)

Thanks Karlin.. id ordered that book, just waiting for it to arrive.. Guess I just need the reassurance as im new to all this and worry too much. hes just fell asleep so gonna use the time to read some more stuff on here.

x

Definitely normal puppy behaviour. I worried too but it all passed quickly. It's nice here in Essex, if you're having good weather, spend some more time outside and have high value rewards like little scraps of chicken to reward wees and poos outside.

The first few weeks are the hardest..after having Three children and Three puppys! I can tell you the first few days with a new puppy are as stressful if not more stressful as the first few days with a new baby!

It will all come together in time. You will get to know your puppy's ways and he will get to know your routine.

Karlin and pauline have given excellent advice, don't worry you'll get there,we were all there at some stage.

Pop on here for advice anytime,there's always someone to listen and answer.

Thanks Pippa.. its all so overwhelming right now and i feel like im getting it all wrong, its upsetting me.. thanks for your kind words x

Try not to get upset,enjoy your time with ollie, the cute puppy stage can be so enjoyable.

Ollie

HI Laura

It does take time to get the toilet training right. The puppy books are great but also try to find out where your local puppy class is. These are a great puppy social event and you will get a lot of good advice and support plus your puppy will love it :dogwlk:

Good luck and remember you're just like any new mummy

Team Bella

Ollie is still very young at 8 weeks so will not be able to control his weeing or pooing! While the weather is nice today spend lots of time in the garden. When he does his business have your treats ready in your pocket and make a really big fuss of him and give him the treat immediately after his business. Only take him inside once he has done it. Then take him out every hour. Take a ball out to entertain him whilst your in the garden to stop him jumping up at you. Also with the chewing behaviour we just said 'no biting' and pulled our hand away so we didn't encourage it. Believe me you'll get there it just takes time he is still very young. Make sure you choose a high quality food not from the supermarket as this will make it easier to train. Food such as James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin are good. As for the puppy pen we didn't use one and we were lucky that Sally didn't chew anything and learned very fast. Good luck

I do sympathise with you, its perfectly normal hun, ermm not sure if what i am about to say is going to help or not, but my Tia is now 6 months old, and if it is wet outside she will use the conservatory as her toilet...urggg i can put her outside but she will just hold it until she has a dry warm place to squat, all my cavvies have done this, the others all go outside now, but it did take months, if i catch her, and if i see her do it, i will pick her up and say very sternly NO and then pop her outside if i dont see her i just pick it up and mop the floor over ,and not make a big deal out of it, however i do reward her still for going out side even if i have to pick her up as soon as she squats down i place outside wait for her to go and give her a nice bit of a hotdog sausage, she is however getting better and the pooping in the conseravorty is getting less and less now, but it is very hard work with a puppy, hang in there hun this will soon pass, they are not pups for long :)

Remember he is only 8 weeks old. He is VERY young yet to be able to understand what you expect of him. From what I know, that is why breeders usually wait until 10-12 weeks to send pups to their new homes. They actually need more time with their mom to mature. That being said, just have patience with him, and reward him with a yummy snack each time he does what you like. Cavaliers are very smart and food motivated, so they catch on quickly. Best of luck! (y)

Archie did that,he would jump up when we took him out,just ignore it and keep moving,just keep walking around saying wee wee,Arhcie soon got fed up.It takes a good 15 mins before he went,it only took a couple of weeks.I found taking him out at the beginning every 10 to 15 mins,build up after a week to about 20 mins etc etc.it should only take about 4 to 6 weeks.

Don't worry, this too shall pass! There is a reason mother nature made little puppies and babies so adorable - so we would put up with them weeing all over our things! :rolleyes:

8 weeks is VERY young, and I seem to recall that puppies at that age don't even associate the feeling of going potty with something about to happen yet?

I am very thankful that my new baby girl was 12 weeks old before she came home. I mean, she is brilliant and perfect and I adore her (and having another older cav helps) but I have to admit it is probably so easy with her because she is older.

Just be consistent, and try to predict when he's going to go potty. Take him out after EVERY nap, after eating and after drinking excessively. I think it is really important if you can catch them in the act, interrupt them, and make them finish outside!

Crate training worked wonders with my older cavalier, but my new little girl needed a more hands on approach.

Good luck!

As for the crying, I've found that if you turn out the lights in the room where he is in, or put a light towel or sheet over the kennel so that the puppy can't see out, they tend to take a little nap and are generally quieter. :luv:

You've gotten some really great advice from above. I'll just add that I can completely relate to your frustration. Jake was my first dog in over 20 years and I was completely overwhelmed. I had read all of the books but still wasn't nearly prepared for what was needed from me. I spent the first couple of weeks in a fog and in tears. It does get better....I promise. As everyone has said before he's still very much a baby and if you are patient and gentle with him he will catch on. I still have to remind myself of that even though mine are now 5 and 6!!!:rolleyes:

Back