• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lucy miserable

hilary

I had Lucy spayed today ........finally. I could'nt bring myself to get it done before now even though I know it's for the best etc . She really HATES the cone collar and cant seem to get comfortable in her bed . The vet said she will have to keep it on for two weeks . Can anyone give me any advice about how to make things easier for her during this this time ? I feel so sorry for her . She looks so miserable . I know spaying is necessary but it seems so hard for the dog . I would really appreciate any advice .........Hilary

I am sure she is fine, most dogs hate those plastic cone collars and it takes them a day or so to get used to wearing it but it is best to keep it on to avoid her licking or picking at her stitches. They have a great way of making us feel guilty don't they:rolleyes:

:hug: for you

Most dogs do not need the cone and those who do generally don't need it after the first 2-3 days. They do get used to it pretty quickly though. It is easier though to get her a babygro/onesie, cut a hole for her tail and that should work fine. There are several threads that discuss this -- try searching on 'babygro' or 'onesie'. (y) I get them at charity shops. Make sure it is long enough for her body.

The babygros seem a great idea. I only heard about this after Sally was spayed so we had to put up with the cone. It only lasted a day and Sally managed to get it off. Also don't let your girl come down the stairs with it on because there's the risk she'll fall. They can't see where they are going with them on. Quite dangerous if you ask me. I'd try the babygro. Let us know how you get on. Hope she is recovered soon.

the babyros are a great idea, i got both my dogs done and i used babygros for the both of them and they kept them away from there stitches!

I thought that perhaps a babygrow would stop the air getting at the wound . Could this perhaps slow down the healing process ?

they sound great, much better than the cone. I would agree with what someone else said about the stairs:)

Daisy didn't have to wear a collar at all. The vet told me to watch her and if she started licking the stitches then we might have to use one, but she never did. The main thing was to keep her from jumping up/down from the furniture and not to do stairs for a few days. I can't imagine 2 weeks in an e-collar would be necessary for most dogs!

After Dottie was spayed 2 months ago, she walked out of the vet's office wearing the dreaded cone and I took it off as soon as we got home. I put her into her baby "onesie" and she never paid any mind to her stitches. We went back in 9 days and stitches were removed. We had no problems whatsoever.

I got the idea here on this board, and I am so glad I did. When it is time to go out for potty, just unsnap the back end, roll it up to the shoulder area so she can do "her business" then roll down and re-snap when she is done.

She should be feeling better soon with lots of attention, snuggles and TLC. :)

Thank you so much for all your help . Its so good to talk to like-minded people . The good news is that Lucy is in fantastic form this morning . You would never think that she had had any kind of operation . Even the collar does not seem to bother her . She is totally herself and eating and drinking normally . What a relief !! If only it were as easy for humans. !:):):rah::rah:

When Qwebble got spayed a few months ago she didn't need a collar either.. We had to watch her, but she never touched or licked the wound at all.. We had to keep her from jumping, but that was really the worst thing.. After 2 days, no matter what we tried, she jumped..
Everything healed very good though.. No complications and after 10 days she was pronounced completely healthy again :)

It's shocking how well they recover. Amber was watched very carefully after hers, but I was less experienced with Holly - only three days after her surgery we brought her for a walk on the beach and kept her on the wet bit to keep sand away. She enjoyed her run as usual, but did tire faster - that was the only thing we noticed. Amber was a nightmare because she's naturally so much more active. By day three she was all for bouncing and jumping and she couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed!

Hilary, I hope Lucy is doing well (only catching up on this thread now!) Lucy is such a softy and we all love when she visits us! :luv:

She will be over this in no time and I'm glad to hear she is getting back to her lovable self. Both LouLou and Ginger bounced back in no time, as they all do!

Give her a big love from all of us here. :hug:

Cream was spayed a few months ago. Our vet used some sort of new style stitches that were internal and didn't need to be removed. She didn't have to wear a cone or anything else during her recovery. She was up and bouncing around the next day, back to normal in about 5 days.

What is really upsetting is that her scar is barely noticeable, while I still have scars from stitches from 4 years ago that are as noticeable as can be :mad:. I think my vet is a better surgeon than the doctor that did my surgery!

What is really upsetting is that her scar is barely noticeable, while I still have scars from stitches from 4 years ago that are as noticeable as can be :mad:. I think my vet is a better surgeon than the doctor that did my surgery!

I hear ya! When Kaya was spayed, she had a little trouble healing and had to be kept extra quiet for longer, but even so, you can't see the scar now! Wish I could say the same for my c-sections!

Thanks Thelma ! Lucy doing great now. So glad its all over and not nearly so traumatic as I had anticipated. She really enjoyed her stay with you ......looks forward to her next visit! Hope all is well with you . :):)

Anyone remember the thread where Cathryn posted one of her spayed dogs stitches. You couldn't even see them. I asked for his number to sew me up some curtains!!

Here it is, boy was this hard to find! The picture is of one of her dogs two days after being spayed.

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=20059&highlight=curtains

I think Alfs will get one of them after his op,i was dreading it.

DOn't worry about the cone Justine, Alfs will adjust to it in no time. Cleo did, and she had to spend about three weeks in it as she turned out to be allergic to her stitches and so they had to be replaced. Once she ceased to feel sorry for herself - after about 2 days - she was bounding around as usual, the cone absoltely no impediment at all. You might need shin guards though as the cone caused unmerciful bruises on my legs where she kept running up excitedly to me! :rolleyes:

Hows Alfs doing at the moment?

Hilary - I'm delighted to hear that Lucy is doing well after her op. :flwr:

Back