PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy another one?

Sugar and Spice
3rd September 2008, 01:37 PM
With all the health problems that us owners have with our cavaliers, would you still buy another one, especially with all of the SM cases coming to light. My cavalier is 2 years old and healthy at the moment and I am looking for a second one, although I am beginning to feel that I have just been very lucky so far with the health of my dog with the more I read. Cavaliers are a wonderful breed and it would be hard to find another breed that comes anywhere close to them but are they worth the heartache and upset. Do the health problems put you off the breed?

sins
3rd September 2008, 02:00 PM
Yes I would! They're simply the most marvellous little dogs imaginable.I think if you're committed to taking any dog in the first instance you must be prepared to look after any medical issues that arise.There are plenty of medical worries in other breeds too.Plus it will be equally heartbreaking if they die at 12 or 6.
My cavalier seems healthy and will be scanned but even if she has SM she's asymptomatic and I'd hope she'd live a long and comfortable life.
I'd look back along the pedigree though and check the age at which a dog's parents/g parents were bred at and if they're still alive.Her sire is 12 and dam will be eight soon so I have every reason to expect that she'll do ok.
There's a few long lived cavaliers back along the lines too so that gives me hope to cling to in the interim.
Sins

Lani
3rd September 2008, 02:10 PM
I spoke with my vet about this very issue ...

I was thinking of going with another breed that I thought was relatively healthy and then my vet started listing all the genetic issues inherent with that breed ...

Cavaliers have their share of health issues, for sure, but for the second dog (which will be a rescue), I am just planning to get pet insurance and deal with anything that comes along.

WoodHaven
3rd September 2008, 02:21 PM
I am contemplating getting another right now. All breeds have health issues. Mixed breeds aren't immune to them either.
If I would have know all the health issues and diseases that children could get (way back when) I probably would have been scared to do that too.

Brian M
3rd September 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi

With my three girls all being under Two and with them being my first cavaliers I Pray that i never will experience any of the health issues that these beautiful animals seem so cursed to suffer from and so i hope in the future to certainly add to my little family as the impressions that they have bestowed upon me are so great i wonder how i never experienced them in my life before ,even though Daisy would not stop barking at 2.30 am this morning till she had been out to the toilet then upstairs to slumber in her cat radiator bed in our bedroom ,bless her.:D

shippers
3rd September 2008, 03:33 PM
I would definitely have another Cavalier :luv:. I'm trying to persuade the OH to let us have another. It is difficult to find reputable breeders though.

Alison_Leighfield
3rd September 2008, 03:56 PM
After having had four affected Cavaliers I wouldn't buy again unless on both sides (mum and dad) there were clear grade A MRI's and clear heart certificates within the year of the litter in question.
Also the parents would both have to be at least 4.5 or 5yrs when the litter was born with their parents still going strong and healthy. Also I would want to know if affected or symptomatic dogs had been in the family, and if so then to what degree. The same with heart history.
Some clear MRI'd close family like siblings or offspring to the parents would also be good to know about.

A grade A MRI scan would only allow for a mild malformation. Nothing else.
The enviroment in which the puppy was reared is also an important factor.
All paperwork and certificates related to all health to be openly shown by the breeder.

Even with all this I would still be a little nervous but more confident that I myself along with the breeder had done everything possible to give this little life it's best start.

Alison.

Cathy T
3rd September 2008, 04:20 PM
Absolutely!! I like to think that I will always have a Cavalier (or two, or three ;)) in my life.

Next time around though I will be extremely selective in who I deal with. I've learned so much in the past six years....and even more in the last several weeks! I know what to ask for and if I can't get it....I'll go to the next person on my list. Yep, I've already started making a list for use in 10 years!!:xfngr:

brotymo
3rd September 2008, 04:52 PM
I absolutely would! They are a joy. Like the others who posted, I have learned, and am still learning more of what to ask and look for. Pixie, I hadn't a clue, but because of the age at which, and the way she died, I never knew if there were health issues. My little Bandit's mom is 7 and was heart clear right up to her pregnancy. She was only bred once, I think, and that was the last litter for her. Bandit's Dad is only 3 but clear with clear parents. Of course, that can wind up meaning nothing.

I will say, my malamute, shepherd, husky mix has more health issues than any of my purebreds. I wish I had health insurance on her, but all her problems would be preexisting! She has so many skin issues, I am constantly battling them. I spend probably between $500.00 and $1000.00 a year treating and managing her skin issues. Watching her walk, I suspect I might deal with hips in the future, too. She is 5 1/2 years old and walks "weird", always has. Being a big dog, 100 lbs, I worry about that.

Karlin
3rd September 2008, 05:12 PM
I likely would, yes, either a rescue or from a breeder I knew did the testing I'd want to see at the right ages and had a strong sense of the health picture around their own dogs (not just the sire and dam but actual families -- we all will know how often it is with people, that whether a grandparent, sister or aunt has a problem -- eg breast cancer -- is as relevant as whether a parent has ever had it. Parents are only a small slice of the picture).

On the flip side -- I think most people who are saying 'yes I would' are those who have not yet dealt with a dog dying from advanced MVD or living with the pain of syringomyelia. I think many more would be unsure about owning a cavalier, were they dealing with either of those problems, or had to put down dogs, especially young dogs, with those afflictions. Many I know who have gone thorugh this cannot stand to risk it again, no matter how much they love the breed. I question this myself.

I now have two dogs with syringomyelia, both experiencing pain, in Lily's case bad enough that she has suddenly started attacking her own hind legs and tears out pieces of fur in frustration from her sides (this is why I never homed her when she came in as a rescue. She had the pattern of occasional extensive scratching, especially when excited, that made me suspect she had SM from the very first day I had her in my own house. Unfortunately, I seem to have been right).

I think when you have had to hold a dog to try and calm them from a frenzy of attacking their own legs -- or had to remove harnesses with great tenderness to keep a dog from yelping in pain at being touched under the arm as is the case with Leo -- when you've had to ask your vet and neurologist to up the dosage of painkillers because what you were giving doesn't help any longer -- and when you've seen the MRI that shows the brain of your dog being squeezed like toothpaste down into its own spinal cord because its skull is too small to contain it -- and you know nothing will ever cure that pain, and what you are doing gradually stops working -- it does make you very seriously question whether you want to go through this all again. Especially when those dogs are only 3 and 5.

So I can only answer probably. I haven't dealt with nearly as much as some SM and MVD dog owners yet, and I don't know what capacity I will have for potentially doing it all again. There are a lot of other breed genetic problems I would rather deal with than syringomyelia.

Cathy T
3rd September 2008, 05:26 PM
I think most people who are saying 'yes I would' are those who have not yet dealt with a dog dying from advanced MVD or living with the pain of syringomyelia

Very good point. I've had a luxating patella with Shelby (nowhere near as difficult as SM or MVD) and oral squamous cell carcinoma with Jake (not a breed specific disease). My two are 5 and 6 years old at this point. At this point in time I can answer "yes". Hoping I am able to give the same answer in 5 more years.

WoodHaven
3rd September 2008, 05:26 PM
No, none of my rather large cavalier group is sick or in pain.
But I've had a britney (from a byb) put down at 2 1/2 (autoimmune issues) and a rescue cocker that had to be put down at 3 (epilepsy, protein issues) and a rescue collie that was put down at 7.
There are NO guarantees and I will give my crew the best life possible for whatever years they have. I will stack the cards in their favor(for health) and play the hand they we are dealt.

Lozzy100
3rd September 2008, 05:27 PM
Yes i would also buy another one. also like it has already been mentioned i would only buy from clear heart and eye parents who have been tested within the twelve months of the pups being born. i would also steer clear of websites such as epupz etc etc etc. But i am sure you all know this x

Karlin
3rd September 2008, 05:41 PM
By 2010 you probably will not need MRIs -- Sarah Blott has already done estimated breeding values for all pedigree cavaliers in the UK (not yet available) and hopefully, hopefully by 2010 there will be results from the Canadian genome scan project that will link genetic values to the EBVs making them highly accurate. Information from scans will still be important but not essential to a giving mating. The other advantage of gEBVs is they would give a much broader picture of a dog -- as they take into account all the dogs that went into producing that dog, not simply a scan result.

pippa
3rd September 2008, 05:50 PM
I think I would always like to have cavaliers in the future... but although I was very careful in contacting the right people when getting my two I would be even more careful next time.

I would actually prefer to rescue from now on.

There is something special about the bond shared with a rescue dog...that's what I myself have found with DJ. Most rescue dogs have some issues but it is so rewarding to see how they come on and learn to trust day by day.

Ruth M
3rd September 2008, 05:54 PM
Tilly is not even 2 yet - she has already had luxating patella surgery and has pretty chronic SM - it is hearbreaking for all of us to watch our adored pet slowly deteriorate. So definitely NO at present I would not risk buying another cavi :( !! They ARE the most adorable, affectionate pets - which makes watching them cope with SM etc even harder!

inca
3rd September 2008, 06:11 PM
I will of course show all the certs i have to hand, and can recommend you dont buy from anyone who has not MRI'd just because their dog shows no sign means nothing

all breeding stock should be scanned and i reckon the buying public have the right to good health any dog thats used for breeding that shows no signs isn't enough these days ( and never really was ) your right and certs are def the way to go :)

Love my Cavaliers
3rd September 2008, 06:14 PM
I can't say whether I would buy another cavalier. Of my four, Riley has severe and advanced SM and had decompression surgery in June. Oz, my baby, was diagnosed with a grade 1 murmer and intermittent 2nd degree heart block at 4 months of age - unfortunately not just a puppy flow murmer. He also has had what I think is EFS and has a mild malformation without syrinxes (at present) verified by MRI. My fear is that he will develop SM down the road. Because I am dealing with that right now with one severely affected dog, I think I am paranoid about that possibility. I probably will also have to deal with worsening MVD at some point. My other 2 seem fine.

I just love this breed, but don't know if I'd get another. On the other hand, I can't see living the rest of my life without a cavalier! Maybe I would consider rescuing a cavalier.

Bev, along with :paw:Oliver (7 yr old blen), :paw: Riley (6 yr old bl & tan),
:paw: Madison (4 yr old ruby) and :paw: Oz (1 yr old tri)

Ciren
3rd September 2008, 06:50 PM
yes i would have another.

Even if i found out that she had a horrible heart sm etc etc ok i didnt buy i rescued but she has given me so much joy that any price is worth paying.

WoodHaven
3rd September 2008, 06:58 PM
yes i would have another.

Even if i found out that she had a horrible heart sm etc etc ok i didnt buy i rescued but she has given me so much joy that any price is worth paying.

"Any price is worth paying"-- I couldn't agree more.

Being loved by cavalier(s) has changed my life. It is the reason I first volunteered for rescue over 7 years ago. I want all cavaliers to have the best families I can find.

Mom of Jato
3rd September 2008, 07:07 PM
YES- I am actually getting another Cavalier in less than 2 weeks. :rah: I have made sure to purchase her through a very reputable breeder, one that other breeders have highly recommended to me. There are no guarantees in life, but I think if we go about it the right way, we stand a good chance of having a healthy dog. I would have never dreamed that I'd be the owner of two dogs prior to getting Jato. He has come into my world, and brought me so much joy, love, and laughter. :lotsaluv: I can't wait to have double the fun soon!!!

estalea
3rd September 2008, 07:38 PM
yes 100% i would have another 2moro. they are easy dogs live with my rottweilers without any problems. cant ever see me being without a c.k.c.s

Jasperxxgabby
3rd September 2008, 07:58 PM
I would have another cavalier, although the next time I would go through a reputable breeder. I would now know what questions to ask and what health certificates to see, and to walk away if things don't seem right. I hope and pray my two will be healthy and live a long life, (although Gabby has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia). Or maybe I would adopt a rescue cav in the future, either way a cavalier king charles spaniel is my choice:)

hbmama
3rd September 2008, 08:42 PM
We have already been through an MRI w/PSOM before the age of one. Our girl has mild CM with no herniation, no syrinxes, so "no evidence of SM at this time."

I am hanging on the relatively good news for now, but there are no guarantees that she won't get it when she is older. I am so head over heels in love with this otherwise perfect companion, that I will handle whatever comes as it may. I am also trying to enjoy her and not dwell on the world of what if, but it is difficult to say the least.

So....I would say that until there is further research resulting in breeding protocols that drastically reduce the malformation which can result in SM, I will just enjoy the one dog, and not look to get another any time soon. :(

cosmic81
3rd September 2008, 09:01 PM
I would love to have more cavaliers in my life!
i think its easy for me to say YES at this moment as I've not yet see my pets in pain. However, I'd make a conscious choice to take care of them to the best of my ability if they are ever diagnosed with any type of disease.

Elaine 2
4th September 2008, 01:19 AM
Yes I'm always going to have a cavalier or 2 in my fur family :thmbsup:

luv my wiggle butts
4th September 2008, 01:46 AM
Yes I would! They're simply the most marvellous little dogs imaginable.

Exactly what I was going to say! After having my two I would never even consider another breed.

Cathy Moon
4th September 2008, 01:56 PM
Absolutely! But I will use this information in Karlin's post when I'm looking for a new puppy: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=26676

*Pauline*
4th September 2008, 03:20 PM
I have been put off but then it's easy to say whilst I have one. If anything happened to Dylan I'd be very sad without a Cavalier. I am thinking seriously about fostering. And you know how soppy I am, I may well end up a failed foster :rolleyes:;)

Alison_Leighfield
4th September 2008, 03:57 PM
Pauline,

There is nothing wrong with being a failed foster mummy, go for it :) :) :)

Alison.

Carolina
5th September 2008, 12:05 AM
:confused: My eldest darling Totti has confirmed SM. I have cried my heart out. When you see how fast the decease takes over and all the side effects of the medicines, you understand just how awfull this particular decease is. In just three months since his SM was confirmed and he has received treatment, he is not himself. Totally worn down. I dont think he is in pain but nevertheless he cannot lead the same happy life as he did before. We still decided to get a new puppy and he started showing symptoms (scratching) MRI'd which showed a hernia in the cerebellum which could develop into SM. I could have left him back and get refunded but we were already in love with him so we will just wait and enjoy him for as long as we can. If Totti continues getting worse we will put him to sleep since we don't want him to suffer. The thought breaks my heart.

So, no I don't think I would get another one. And I do truly love the Cavalier's :(

cosmic81
5th September 2008, 06:15 AM
:confused: My eldest darling Totti has confirmed SM. I have cried my heart out. When you see how fast the decease takes over and all the side effects of the medicines, you understand just how awfull this particular decease is. In just three months since his SM was confirmed and he has received treatment, he is not himself. Totally worn down. I dont think he is in pain but nevertheless he cannot lead the same happy life as he did before. We still decided to get a new puppy and he started showing symptoms (scratching) MRI'd which showed a hernia in the cerebellum which could develop into SM. I could have left him back and get refunded but we were already in love with him so we will just wait and enjoy him for as long as we can. If Totti continues getting worse we will put him to sleep since we don't want him to suffer. The thought breaks my heart.

So, no I don't think I would get another one. And I do truly love the Cavalier's :(

Carolina, I am so sorry for your Totti. I hope he's symptom gets better

eyesurgeon
5th September 2008, 07:33 AM
With much respect for those with sick dogs, keep in mind that the internet is an echo chamber for problems. There is a great deal of focus on potential health problems online. The reality is that most people have healthy dogs.

Alison_Leighfield
5th September 2008, 08:43 AM
With all respect eyesurgeon,

can you please explain how I have have owned four affected Cavaliers with SM, a question mark on another until scanned and one with progression towards SM if most people have healthy Cavaliers? and that not one Cavalier that I have taken or assisted somehow for MRI scans for other owners have ever scanned totally clear either?
Having been concerned and involved with Cavaliers and pet owners for just about 6 yrs thats a good number of Cavaliers going for MRI scans, not to mention the owners that phone for information and help when concerned about their dogs when over and over vets dismiss or do not know enough about the condition.

SM is a very serious condition in Cavaliers with a high percentage of Cavaliers being affected. It isn't a "potential" problem it is with us now and a huge one at that. This is the harsh reality.

You say many people have healthy dogs, perhaps of other breeds perhaps then, but Cavaliers seem to be a breed on their own regarding health problems, they have far to many.

If the internet is an echo chamber for information regarding health concerns including those about SM, then may it echo loud and clear worldwide.

Alison.

Karlin
5th September 2008, 10:55 AM
The reality is that most people have healthy dogs.

I am afraid that the reality is that half of us will have cavaliers with heart murmurs by age 5. If you are in the medical field yourself you will understand how wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong this is, especially as breeders have simple tools in their hands to address this problem. It is an absolutely shocking incidence of a serious health problem.

If at a conservative estimate, nearly one in three cavaliers will eventually get SM, and 9 in 10 have a skull too small for their brain, placing constant pressure on the hindbrain and in a considerable number, forcing part of the brain out into the spinal cord, how can this be said to be a normal, healthy dog leading a normal, healthy life? Humans with this condition endure ongoing headaches. Dogs cannot explain they have chronic headaches.

The majority of my rescue dogs coming in -- total random sample, will have heart murmurs if they are around 5-6. Every dog older that 6 has had a murmur. I have many friends and acquaintances who do general rescue or rescue for other breeds who never see this level of heart problems in young dogs. Most of my rescues do not come in as neglected pound or puppy farm dogs. They are people's pets that they need to rehome. I now see about 50-70 dogs annually (depending on the year) -- more than many of the US regional breed rescues -- so I think I see a pretty good random sample.

One of the reasons that I set up this site, with an MVD/SM forum, was because there were so few places people with this breed and these problems could go to share information and get support. On many sites, mention SM and you are practically banned -- having worked for two national AIDS foundations in the US then in Ireland in the 1990s (San Francisco AIDS Foundation, then Aidswise in Dublin), it reminded me a lot of how nobody wanted to know about the problem. People had few places to go if they found they had it, where conversation about the condition was OK.

If anyone has problems with this site's support for dogs with these conditions and owners whose dogs have this condition, believe me, you will find that the majority of the sites and email lists are quite happy to focus almost entirely on discussions about the cuteness of their dogs, buying leash accessories, and the latest TV or film appearance of a cavalier. Those topics are welcome here too but I will not pretend that there are not serious issues with this breed and will always work to get that health info out to people. People also need to understand these problems exist before they decide on this breed, both to identify problems if they arise and keep suffering to a minimum, and because at least with MVD, almost every cavalier owner is going to deal with this, most of the *sooner* rather than *later* -- those are the statistics. I have never found that knowing about the health issues has put a single person off taking one of my rescue dogs. In addition, contrary to all the dire predictions voiced by some clubs in the UK, in Ireland, which also gets the BBC, we have not had a single cavalier come into any of the rescue or pounds that I know of due to the BBC programme (and I work with all the major rescues and several of the large and smaller pounds and SPCAs. The people involved in the programme were told by several breeders that due to the programme, there would be floods of rescue dogs dumped by owners. Hasn't happened going by the UK rescue listings, or for us in Ireland). Since the programme I have had two cavaliers come in -- one due to its owner going into care, and a second due to the arrival of a baby. In other words, the normal rate at which I get cavaliers, and the common reasons. People generally don't abandon their cavaliers due to the possibility of a future health issue and only very rarely when they have them. Likewise most people who own them will likely get them again I think though if you have dealt with a hard health problem -- especially something as distressing as SM or say curly coat or EFS -- many may feel differently.

Aileen
5th September 2008, 01:08 PM
Yes I would have another cavalier I know what the risk are
---Aileen and (Barney--Jazzie)

Alison_Leighfield
5th September 2008, 02:10 PM
Carolina,

I am so sorry, what can I say to make you feel any better, sending you a huge hug though ((x)) thinking about you all.

Keep positive.

Alison.

AHM
5th September 2008, 02:24 PM
Karlin,

I really appreciate your candidness on this site. As I think many of you know, I run a similar forum (Slippertalk) that discusses Ladyslipper orchids and, believe it or not, we have a lot of controversy over that subject too. I started the forum because there was another slipper orchid forum that wasn't allowing free speech and often banned members whenever anyone mentioned something controversial.

This information you are providing here is SO important for us new Cav. owners.
I've been thinking, if I were to get a pup myself, I might get a Cav., even knowing the risks. Right now we're still dealing with the Binster as our first at about 5 months. I think she is exhibiting signs of SM, but my mom doesn't want to hear about it.
I have read so much here so I am aware, but I am scared that mom isn't going to admit there is a problem because we've both bonded so quickly with Binne. I also have days when I have to tell myself to STOP reading here because I get so worried. :(

We have a fair amount of tail chasing going on, a little foot chewing (while making a funny, but not pain oriented, noise), and a lot of scratching around her collar. Again, no yelping or whining or anything really painful sounding but I'm still concerned. We also know more about the mom than the dad (though we do know he was younger than he should have been but we'd already fallen in love...grrr.)

Anyway, thank you Karlin, and everyone else here, for all of your information! It's invaluable.

Carolina
8th September 2008, 03:39 AM
:lotsaluv:Thank you again with all my heart for all your kind words and support. This forum is helping so many people to live through the pain and stress to which we unfortunately are victims of.
AHM I can understand that you are worried. We had our little Chili scanned because of similar symptoms. The scratching mainly, which is getting worse. Since he is still so young the vet doesn't want to give him medications. I think they may simply not know what to do. It is not usual for a little 8 week old puppy to start showing symptoms. Now he is 3 and a half months and I will continue contacting several specialists to see if anything can be done. He is happy but I do wonder how he feels. Scratching can be a sign for pain or at least uncomfort. I really don't know what to do.

It is necesary to ventilate all infomation on this decease and I admire Karlin who wisely understand that the only way to protect and ensure a future for the cavaliers is in fact by openly ventilating the problem and sharing information. This will hopefully make breeders aware of how widely spread SM is and lead to taking meassures to prevent further spreading of it.

Alison I am so sorry for what you have been through. It must be so distressing for you. :( Big hug to you :lotsaluv:

Alison_Leighfield
8th September 2008, 07:42 AM
Carolina,

If your little one is in discomfort your vet must give meds to give some pain relief and calm the scratching down, go back and ask to see a neurologist ASAP if you think the vet is out of his depth in dealing with this, don't leave such a small puppy in this way please. Scratching can drive us all mad!

Alison.

misty
8th September 2008, 10:04 AM
Yes I would have another cavalier I know what the risk are
---Aileen and (Barney--Jazzie)

(( Aileen )), what a lovely attitude; I'm nearly in tears here.

Would I BUY a cavalier puppy? A few months ago I would have said no, but now I know of at least one place I'd be comfortable getting a cav from, that may change things in the future.

For the moment, I'd say I will be involved in spaniel rescue for as long as practicably possible. I have 4 oldies, so I'm sure I'll be having further cavaliers, but the probability is that the majority will be dogs that need rehab, such as ex-breeding dogs or poundies.

Spencer'sMom
8th September 2008, 04:26 PM
Without question I would have another Cavalier and we've been afflicted with no less than five ailments (and Spencer is only 3 1/2)- CM, hydrocephalus, luxating patella, grade 2 murmur and allergies. But like, Cathy, I've been compiling a list of breeders and lines that I may want to stay away from.

Steffers
8th September 2008, 10:38 PM
i have been dealing with MVD in my puppy for the last 4 years. And yes its awful when he coughs, and its upsetting when he cries to be carried on walks because he gets out of breath so easily. . . . but could i honestly say i wouldn't go through it all again? I love him SO MUCH i couldn't imagine being without him. . . . I think i am sold on Cavvies forever. They are the most loving, loyal, good-natured, beautiful dogs in the world and yes, yes i think i would get another.

At least now i have found this site, i feel that when i am ready to adopt another puppy i will be able to make an informed and balanced choice, and pick a conscientious breeder . . . it is by 'putting our money' with the breeders who care about the future of Cavvies that we will help to force a change. If the less scrupulous breeders fail to make so much of a profit, they may find it beneficial to change their practices. . .

So the answer is YES! :dogwlk::dogwlk::dogwlk:

Carolina
8th September 2008, 11:39 PM
Yes I know Alison, that is why I am now going to get second, third and fourth opinions. The doctor that has taken care of him so far is supposed to be Swedens biggest authority in SM. But I will nevertheless get more help, rest assured.:thmbsup:

jld
9th September 2008, 01:30 AM
I love Dixie with all my heart, but if she was in pain I would be devastated!!!!!! I don't think I would ever take the chance again even though this is by far the BEST breed of dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with. I am the kind of person who turns off the TV, or any news ,whenever a story comes on about an animal who has had some misfortune..... I just don't think I could personally cope with the suffering another time.....

Jen
10th September 2008, 04:24 AM
I'm doubtful that I'd get another Cavalier after going through what we have with Abbey's CM. It's awful to not be able to help her more than we can---every time she scratches, rubs her face, or quivers when I put her harness on/off her, my stomach turns.:(

Carolina
10th September 2008, 07:51 PM
Jen, I really understand you. I feel the same. The way our Totti has gained weight because of the steroids... he is so heavy, has difficulties moving etc. I think it is impossible for people that dont have a dog with this decease to understand just how davastating it is. :(

Louise1823
10th September 2008, 11:17 PM
I can't honestly see a time where I wouldn't be a Cavalier owner, so I would have to say that no I wouldnt be put off getting another.

Our first girl Millie is being treated for epilepsy and our second boy Jack died at only 18 months old of heart failure. Our third and fourth (Chloe and Rex) fingers crossed and touch wood are both in great health so far but are still very young.

I think I would lean more towards fostering and rescue dogs in the future and just be prepared to deal with whatever health issues may arise.

It is so very difficult to see them in distress with an ilness and also to cope with their (unfortunately in most cases, untimely) death - but they are such bundles of love and give you so much back that I will most definitely always have to have them around me..

Lani
11th September 2008, 02:00 AM
I would, and I think my next one will actually be a rescue. (and I'll immediately get vet insurance, of course).

maneumann
11th September 2008, 07:37 PM
We have one who has SM, it is heartbreaking and extremely expensive condition. But, we did get a second one and I just pray that he is fine, although I do watch him like a hawk for symptoms. My $.02 is that this is a wonderful breed, and growing up with a multitude of other purebreds the CKCS do have more health issues than most (but most purebreds seem to have something). SM is just very dramatic.

That said, I would just be very careful who you get your dog from, make sure it is a ethical breeder, one who fully acknowledges the health issues of the breed and is actively trying to better the health of the breed. That and I educate every person I can about the dogs. They are so adorable that everyone wants to pet them and know all about them, so there is plenty of oppertunity. Finally, just be prepared to foot the bill if you need to. It is a risk and by buying one an obligation you commit to. All and all, these little dogs are my babies and I have a hard time imagining them not being an integral part of my life as they bring so much joy and love.

varja
14th September 2008, 02:59 PM
Annie has 1. grade MVD and SM.:(
But I will have another cavalier (hopefully next year or in 2010).

And I will be very careful where to get my next cavalier girl from.

Indy
30th November 2008, 05:25 PM
Whom did you buy Annie from?I'm thinking of one more Cav,but I'm scared,nobody gives any normal chance to ask questions.Not to say many breeders don't even reply to requests.Even if they do,there's no mention about health.Just show results count!I'm very disappointed.
Lots of talk about health,very little information about HEALTHY lines and dogs.All of them are breeding before 2.5 years of age.

Karlin
30th November 2008, 06:16 PM
Please get the information on this breeder privately through a PM, please. :thmbsup:

Indy
30th November 2008, 11:09 PM
OK,nomina sunt odiosa.I understand reasons.

Oliver Trollope
12th December 2008, 04:27 AM
I want to have another Cavalier one day but am terrified. Oliver was only diagnosed with SM on Sept. 18 by MRI and he will be 5 on the 22nd of this month. I had never even heard of this disease until I had to rush him to an emergency clinic on Labour Day. I am brand new to this forum and hope I am posting in the correct area.

This past Monday we had another visit with Oliver's neurologist at the OVC in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Oliver is participating in a study, as his dam. Oliver's breeder, who mostly used UK bloodlines is having all of her bitches tested and is also partcipating in the study. I feel so lost in all of this. I don't think he's in pain, yet, but I know he's been in discomfort. We have changed his meds and so far so good, but it's only been since Monday.

I am so glad that another Cavalier owner suggested this site to me as there is a wealth of information which is hard to find on the internet.

Karlin, I thank you for your tips on future acquisitions of a Cavalier. At the time Oliver came into my life, his heart, eyes, and patella's were "guaranteed" to be clear. I've enjoyed the companionship of many other breeds throughout my life, but there is just something extra special about Oliver and I can't imagine my life without a Cavalier in it. Wonderful site!

Deborah, Oliver's Mum

ourfurbabies5
12th December 2008, 06:40 AM
This is my first Cavalier and I pray that we do not experience the health problems that I have read about. I do believe that you take a risk with any breed including a mix "pund puppy". My 13 year old mix has seizures & has been on meds for the past 10 years. My cocker mix had cronic mange that would get so bad she had to be carried outside for potty. If I were to answer right now today, I would have to answer that yes, I would have another for sure.