• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crate training queries

buddy2008

Hi, I am starting to crate train buddy as my other methods dont seem to be working), he is not defacting where he sleeeps / kitchen but is peeing every chance he gets all over the place. I need to know how big the crate should be, should it be big enough for just his bed, i read and article that says it should only be big enough for him ( fully grown) to stand up, turn around etc. My question is if i need to leave the house shouldnt the crate be big enough to hold his water bowl etc/ I am back to the outside every 15 muns rule on a leash. He will only be 14 weeks on Monday so I know not expect miracles:)

any advice greatly appreciated(y)

Hiya,

I bought a crate big enough for Jessica when she's fully grown. The adult sized bed I've got for when she's fully grown takes up just over half of the floor space in the cage and there's enough room for a puppy training pad with her food & water bowls and a couple of toys :D

I got a massive one for Barney, approx 36". When we first got him we blocked it off with cardboard so it would just hold his bed and water, he was in a tiny bed then. As he grew we moved the cardboard always so he only had his bed space. He has never had an accident in his cage. I thought a bigger one would be better, so that he has more room to play and move about when he is left alone. He also has a smaller cage for the car, which when we bring it in the house he actually prefers it.
Congratulations on your new puppy, it will take time but he will get there eventually.:D

Back