PDA

View Full Version : Cavalier Back Pack Carrier

Jan Bell
6th September 2008, 04:48 PM
Has anybody ever used one the doggie back-pack type carriers for their Cavalier?

My oldest Cavalier Toby is 11 and although he has always been a good walker he can no longer go as far as Rufus who is only a year old.

I've seen a Snoozer Large Roll Around Pet Carrier that adapts to be used as a backpack and carries dogs upto 30lb - Toby is about 22lb. I am thinking of buying one for our next holiday so Toby can rest his weary paws, so just wondered if anybody has used one.

Pansy
6th September 2008, 05:11 PM
I have several doggie backpacks by Fashion Pet. The small one, suitable for puppies or young dogs, is my favourite for shopping or going places where a dog on leash may not be allowed.

The large rolling doggie backpack has an expandable side. It's my least favourite since is fairly heavy and bulky. I doubt that a dog over 18 lbs would be very comfortable in it. They also have to remain in sitting position.

If you have large closets, or storage space, a doggie stroller seems the best solution for taking infirm oldies or to the vets, or accompanying others on walks. Have my eyes open for a jogging stroller which folds fairly easily.

Good luck.

Cathy Moon
6th September 2008, 05:19 PM
That looks like a nice one - lots of visibility for your dog. It might be a bumpy ride, though, out of doors. Those are mainly for inside of airports I think?

If you can find a stroller it would most likely be more comfortable for your Toby.:flwr:

Jan Bell
6th September 2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks MaryBelle, I did wonder how comfortable something so rigid would be. Perhaps I would be better to look for a doggie stroller - I will check out the internet.

hbmama
6th September 2008, 06:28 PM
I just ordered a Pet Gear AT3 stroller from TiaBellas, so I can walk the beach boardwalk with Dottie in stealth mode. :cool: It should arrive sometime next week. Will let you know how we like it. I have read alot of good things on line.

I would think a doggie backpack for a 22lb dog would be difficult for you to carry for any extended amount of time, and also confining for your dog. I have seen 5 lb maltese and yorkies in them though.

freesia
7th September 2008, 08:24 AM
We were at Kielder forest on Sunday and met a lady who had a backpack, carrying it on her front with a toy poodle in it, the dog seemed quite happy in it.

Lisa_T
7th September 2008, 10:07 PM
I have the AT3 stroller and it is fabulous. I have two small Cavaliers and it carries both easily - they really like it and try to jump into it as soon as I unfold it! It also opens and closes with minimum fuss - in fact, I was folding down the (empty) stroller to go on the train one day and a young mum said to me that she wished that her baby buggy folded down as easily as mine did ... you should have seen her face when I said it was actually for my dogs!

Jan Bell
8th September 2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all your replies.

I've had a look at the AT3 stroller Lisa, and I think it might fit the bill nicely!

Karlin
8th September 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm looking for a backpack myself -- Lucy cannot do huge distances on walks at age 9 so want something that I can wear on my back for the beach etc. Will have to poke around to see what is available. She is only 13 lbs so a bit easier than 22! :)

Claire L
8th September 2008, 01:47 PM
These (http://www.nextag.com/backpack-pet-carrier/search-html) don't look too bad. I might invest in one myself. Would be very handy to take on long walks, in case one of the doggies had an accident.