• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Back Pack Carrier

Jan Bell

Has anybody ever used one the doggie back-pack type carriers for their Cavalier?

My oldest Cavalier Toby is 11 and although he has always been a good walker he can no longer go as far as Rufus who is only a year old.

I've seen a Snoozer Large Roll Around Pet Carrier that adapts to be used as a backpack and carries dogs upto 30lb - Toby is about 22lb. I am thinking of buying one for our next holiday so Toby can rest his weary paws, so just wondered if anybody has used one.

I have several doggie backpacks by Fashion Pet. The small one, suitable for puppies or young dogs, is my favourite for shopping or going places where a dog on leash may not be allowed.

The large rolling doggie backpack has an expandable side. It's my least favourite since is fairly heavy and bulky. I doubt that a dog over 18 lbs would be very comfortable in it. They also have to remain in sitting position.

If you have large closets, or storage space, a doggie stroller seems the best solution for taking infirm oldies or to the vets, or accompanying others on walks. Have my eyes open for a jogging stroller which folds fairly easily.

Good luck.

That looks like a nice one - lots of visibility for your dog. It might be a bumpy ride, though, out of doors. Those are mainly for inside of airports I think?

If you can find a stroller it would most likely be more comfortable for your Toby.:flwr:

Thanks MaryBelle, I did wonder how comfortable something so rigid would be. Perhaps I would be better to look for a doggie stroller - I will check out the internet.

I just ordered a Pet Gear AT3 stroller from TiaBellas, so I can walk the beach boardwalk with Dottie in stealth mode. :cool: It should arrive sometime next week. Will let you know how we like it. I have read alot of good things on line.

I would think a doggie backpack for a 22lb dog would be difficult for you to carry for any extended amount of time, and also confining for your dog. I have seen 5 lb maltese and yorkies in them though.

We were at Kielder forest on Sunday and met a lady who had a backpack, carrying it on her front with a toy poodle in it, the dog seemed quite happy in it.

I have the AT3 stroller and it is fabulous. I have two small Cavaliers and it carries both easily - they really like it and try to jump into it as soon as I unfold it! It also opens and closes with minimum fuss - in fact, I was folding down the (empty) stroller to go on the train one day and a young mum said to me that she wished that her baby buggy folded down as easily as mine did ... you should have seen her face when I said it was actually for my dogs!

Thanks for all your replies.

I've had a look at the AT3 stroller Lisa, and I think it might fit the bill nicely!

I'm looking for a backpack myself -- Lucy cannot do huge distances on walks at age 9 so want something that I can wear on my back for the beach etc. Will have to poke around to see what is available. She is only 13 lbs so a bit easier than 22! :)

These don't look too bad. I might invest in one myself. Would be very handy to take on long walks, in case one of the doggies had an accident.

Back