• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vanity Fur! A bakery, boutique, cafe and spa for dogs.

*Pauline*

Vanity Fur is a Bakery, café, boutique and spa for dogs and it's about 5 miles from where I live :rah: I haven't been yet but what's nice about it is you can take your dog to the café and they can try a menu of organic treats. Here's the web site.

http://www.vanityfur.co.uk/

And here's an article by BBC Essex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/content/articles/2008/07/09/stephanie_mehanna_feature.shtml

There is also a recipe book called Pupcakes.

http://www.vanityfur.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=49

Ok I'm sold! I wish we had something like that here! I'l definitely be ordering some of their stuff online though. You absolutely have to go and check it out and report back what it is like! Please, then those of us far away can visit vicariously though you! :):)

Oh this looks fun! Wish it was a bit closer but they do mail order so..... nice for some Christmas presents for my doggy friends.

My brother and sister in law, Steve and Karen, live in New Hope, Pennsylvania. When I visited them Karen took me to a wonderful "dog stuff" shop in New Hope and I came home with all sorts of stuff, including a small painted slate wall plaque which says "no outfit is complete without dog hairs". I just loved it, though my husband was pulling faces!

I watched a documentary the other night about a little boy aged 9 in Belarus who had to have his tonsils taken out without an anaesthetic because the hospital couldn't afford the necessary drugs and machinery . It was by far the most upsetting thing I have ever seen on television ....particularly as I have a little boy of around the same age . This child was an orphan and there was nobody to even give him a hug when the indescribable ordeal was over . When I see websites such as this one I really worry about what kind of world we are living in . I LOVE dogs but I honestly feel we sometimes go a bit too far in the way we try to humanize them . Am I alone in thinking that this kind of website is a bit obscene ?? Surely all a dog wants is loads of company ,affection and exercise. I don't want to sound like a crank . Maybe that documentary is still haunting me . Did anybody else see it ?

Yes, there are many terrible things in the world and lots of people go too far with their dogs. But shops like these as far as I am concerned are a bit of fun, and we all need that at times.

I'll do buy some bits and pieces for my doggy loving friends as presents and they never fail to make them laugh - we don't take it too seriously. There are enough sad and serious things out there in the world.

I do my bit toward them by regular contributions to the charities I contribute to every month (including the Red Cross, Marie Curie - not all animal ones I should add) - but I also like a bit of fun!

Last edited:
I didn't see the documentary. Thanks you for pointing this out, you're quite right.

I wouldn't be spending my money on expensive treats and the dog spa I must say. I just thought it would be nice to go somewhere where I can take my dog in while I have a cuppa instead of trying to find a café with seats outside and I love being round other dogs.

Pauline thanks for those links, I would love the bark cake, as its Gabby and Jaspers birthday Nov and Dec, and I'm hopeless at baking myself:eek: I'm sure they would enjoy it:D.
I'd love a fun shop like this near me and if I go on shopping trips I'm always drawn to pet shops etc. a bit of retail therapy for our dogs does us the world of good:D.

Pauline , I hope you didn't think I was criticising you personally .......I wasn't . I agree we all have to have a bit of fun and retail therapy . I guess I still feel a little raw after seeing documentary . It just made me so sad and angry to think that a child had to suffer like that due to lack of funding . Please don't feel I being "Holier than thou"........Hilary

Pauline, thanks for the link, it looks fab and i wish we had something like this near us.
Unfortunetly there is lots of suffering in the world that is out of our control but in no way do i think harmless and fun shops for our pets are obscene. It is after all just fun and there is obviously a market for it. Personally, J is my baby, i don't dress him up as he does not like it but i admit to going out of my way to get the treats he likes, giving him a day at the groomers getting a wash and blow dry and trying him with new things that i come across as i know that these things, along with plenty exercise, love and attention, make him happy.
Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to have a family and maybe their dogs (expecially this wonderful breed) do become child substitutes. its not hurting anybody.

Pauline , I hope you didn't think I was criticising you personally .......I wasn't . I agree we all have to have a bit of fun and retail therapy . I guess I still feel a little raw after seeing documentary . It just made me so sad and angry to think that a child had to suffer like that due to lack of funding . Please don't feel I being "Holier than thou"........Hilary

I do understand how you feel. I'm pretty careful with my money and often look at the web sites with lovely harnesses and cute dog beds but I'd never spend that kind of money. I remember feeling the same way when I heard of little dog jumpers for hundreds of pounds.

Watch this space ...............................not:rotfl:
But then again I may surprise myselficon_nwunsure, but on second thoughts vet bills are expensive:rotfl:

I didn't see the documentary. Thanks you for pointing this out, you're quite right.

I wouldn't be spending my money on expensive treats and the dog spa I must say. I just thought it would be nice to go somewhere where I can take my dog in while I have a cuppa instead of trying to find a café with seats outside and I love being round other dogs.
That's exactly what I would do! I like the idea of taking my dog(s) with me to go out for a cuppa. Any cafe that allows dogs would appeal to me, and this looks like an extra welcoming one. :)

Actually the site wasn't as bad as I thought, most of what it sells you can find in your local pet store anyway.It's just the way the stuff is marketed really that makes it seem ostentatious.It's obviously aimed at a more upmarket clientele,but most people would need the basic collar/lead/basket/shampoo/grooming kit anyway.
I believe in treating my dog very very well, but she's still a dog!
I would draw the line at doggy paw balm, it'd be a waste anyway especially when she's standing six inches deep in muck in the woods!
And as for vet bills - I should ask my employers to set up a monthly standing order into my vet's account.
I sometimes feel guilty that my dog lives in the lap of luxury when there are people who don't have running water or food for a day.But dogs must be treated well too and not suffer neglect.We can only do our best for human beings and dogs.sadly as a society we fail on both scores.
Sins

Back