• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coming To Ireland

Kimmisue

All in Ireland,

Please let me know some of the spots that you think a tourist shouldn't miss.
Janeen and I planned this trip for last year but found Janeen had Breast Cancer and I ended up having to have surgery so we postponed our trip until this year.

This may not be the right place to post this but I would love to possibly meet up with some of you when we are there ...and we would hate to missout on any special sites.

Our plans are :
Oct 21...fly into dublin rent a car ...drive the ring of Kerry for 5 days...stopping where we want.
Then on the 21 we begin our equestrian tour of the Haunted Castles of Ireland.
Leaving on Nov 2.

Please let me know your favorite spots.

I am trying to think,but we had a program here called Ballykissangel,apparently its lovely there to.I cant remember the actual village.Belfast is lovely as well,thats in the North.

I think Ballykissangel was filmed in the valley of Avoca, in wicklow. I could be completely wrong though :rolleyes: I love courtown in wexford, great beaches there. Killarney is always lively, no matter what time if year you go there.

Cliffs of Mohir in Clare. Some lovely spots along the West coast. Come to Cork for the last weekend in October as the Jazz festival will be on.

Thank you so much Please keep the suggestions coming.

Do you have any suggestions on lodgings? We were planning on staying at B&B's?
Are there special ones?

Thanks again

Glens of Sligo, Glens of Antrim, Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Carrickfergus Castle...

Stately houses - we have many, many of 'em. If you're up North then try Castleward, if only because it's an eternal testimony to the row between the Lord Bangor who built it and his wife. He liked good plain simple classical architecture. She liked the gothic style that was fashionable at the time. The house is a compromise - classical one side, and gothic on the other. :D Lovely grounds and if you don't mind looking like a kid, dressing up opportunities - you know, crinolines et al.

Don't forget to do Dublin Castle if you're there, although the anti-British guff there never fails to make me laugh. I was amused the last time when the tour guy told us that the person who had made the statue of Justice in the 18th c deliberately did not put a hole on one of her scales. Thus when it rained, the scales became imbalanced - supposedly demonstrating the injustice of British rule in Ireland. Trust me, Anglo-Irish people in 18th Dublin were unlikely to put it quite that way.

Wonderful...I am sharing each of these posts with my friend.

Please keep them coming.

I heard that Blarney Castle isn't what everyone makes it to be that there is a Blarney stone at almost every village.

Is that true?

Kilkee in Clare (lovely clifftop walks)
Kinsale nr Cork (food and peace)
Beara Penisula
Connemara
Donnegal

When in Dublin - take DART or Car to Howth, Dalkey,killiney

Wicklow is a really beautiful county. Powerscourt house and gardens is worth a visit and is great for lunch and shopping . Grafton street is your best bet for shopping . St Stephens green is a nice park in the city centre . The west coast of Ireland is really scenic . west cork is definitely my favourite place . .......fabulous scenery and very good restaurants .Connemara is also beautiful. hopefully the weather wont be too bad . We have just had the worst summer in living memory ! Be prepared for high prices but you can get fantastic bed and breakfast accomodation at really reasonable rates .......particularly off peak season . The book 100 BEST PLACES TO STAY IN IRELAND might be useful for you .I hope you and your friend have a positive experience and that Ireland lives up to your expectations . We go to west cork as often as we can .......to me it has just about everything , including friendly people which makes such a difference. Best of luck ..Hilary:rah:

Everyone...you won't believe this.

CCI Cross Country International equestrian tours has closed thier doors and kept our money .
2249.00 us . Since it was paid by check we are out the monies.
Luckily it is just the last 5 days of our trip. It is just hard to believe.

I hope no one else on this site has a trip planned with them.

It doesn't look like it ... I have sent the story to our local tv station ..they have a problem resolution and fraud group... and to Dr. phil ..( would love to see him rip them up) ...and my friend sent it to 20/20 channel 22 news and Oprah.

Hopefully one of these will be able to contact them and help us get our money back.

Everyone...you won't believe this.

CCI Cross Country International equestrian tours has closed thier doors and kept our money .
2249.00 us . Since it was paid by check we are out the monies.
Luckily it is just the last 5 days of our trip. It is just hard to believe.

I hope no one else on this site has a trip planned with them.
Oh, I'm so very sorry this has happened to you!!! :eek: What a bummer! If there is anything we can do to help just let us know. Can you start a class action lawsuit, or is it too late for that?

Kim, check to see if they were members of ASTA or ASTA Tour Operator Program (TOP), or NTA (National Tour Association). If so you may be able to recoup your money if they were members, they were insured against closure.

Jane

Oh, goodness, I hope you get some resolution! Don't lay down and take that without a good fight!

Dingle...

Don't let it ruin your stay in Ireland, and since you're doing Ring of Kerry anyway, just pop in Dingle, it's just few miles above and the coast is amazing here. I live here for 4 years now and still don't have enough;)

Oh we intend on fighting... Hopefully someone will help us get our money back...before our trip so we can afford to do everything we would like.

Dingle ..hmmmm that would be great... would you be willing to have lunch?or dinner?...or maybe join us for a afternoon?

Back