• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan has really sore eyes.

*Pauline*

Here we go again, I think I'll book in advance at the vets we have been going so regularly. Last time they didn't even charge me :rolleyes: We are going back at 2.45pm today as Dylan's eyes are very red and the pink skin in the corner of the eye has come across a bit.

He has been rubbing his face on the floor for longer than usual after food more recently so I assumed maybe another SM symptom. We are still waiting to be sure the ears have calmed down before we get a referral to a neurologist. I was asked to wait a week after ear drops and see if he is scratching his ears, well he never was scratching his ears really. He still air scratches while on his harness. I found a harness he scratches less with.

It's a case of the chicken and the egg! He might have got sore eyes from rubbing his face on the carpet or he might be rubbing on the carpet because his eyes are sore.

It could also be that I have a huge bunch of lilies that are smelling so strong you can almost taste them so he could be allergic to them, I just put them in my bedroom upstairs.

I forgot to say, he didn't want all his breakfast and threw up a little after his shower (maybe due to the after shower zoomies) and he just let me brush his ears, no fuss, so he must be feeling bad. I better make the most of it and brush his tail while he'll let me, I'm so mean.

Last edited:
Aw Pauline, sorry about Dylan. I guess you know lilies are toxic to dogs and have the lilies out of reach. Bandit scratched his eye last week, and he had that skin at the corner coming over his eye. It actually made him look like his eye was rolling back. Scared the crap out of me!

When I took him to the vet, she said it was actually a third eyelid that was partially closing to protect his eye. Go figure. I thought that was something dogs didn't have!

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Pauline, sorry to hear about Dylan's eye. I do think moving the LIllies is a good idea. I personally love them as flowers, but I do know of people who can't be in the same room as lillies as they are so sensitive to the pollen. :xfngr: it's just that and he'll cleas up soon. Please give the little angel a :hug: from me, while he's quiet and you can! :flwr:

I do know some lilies can kills cats after it paralyses them. I think I've posted about it here. I thought I read it didn't apply to dogs? I remove the pollen as the flower is only just opening so it doesn't stain anything and keep all vases out of Dylan's reach. They do smell strong though. I heard lots of people sneezing in town yesterday, enough to make me think the pollen count might be high.

I hope Bandit's eye is better now?

Thanks Tanya, one hug on the way to Dylan!

Here's a thread about lily pollen and cats.
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8943&highlight=lillies

It looks nicer if you pull off the anther (wrap in tissue) and leave the filament. Here's what an anther is:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/printouts/floweranatomy.shtml

Last edited:
Hope Dylan is feeling better soon and you can find out the cause of his sore eyes..poor little man.

Sorry to hear about Dylan :flwr: I hope he's feeling better soon. Give him a big :hug: from us.

Sometimes using artificial tears can help soothe the eyes when there is an outside irritant as pollen. I use Refresh Tears-ok'd by vet-when they're showing signs of too much "everything" and they all give me that "thanks" look.

Thanks everyone. The vet said he thinks it's allergic conjunctivitis due to a pollen allergy but probably not the lilies as they have been in the house for a week but you never know so he said put them in a room he doesn't go into. Lots of dogs have been coming in to the vets with sudden onset of allergic reactions. Dylan has to have drops 4 times a day.

He gave him an M.O.T. too. Heart good, weight good, ears perfect(y) Still air scratching so I guess we have to clear up the eyes before we see about a referral to the neurologist about SM. I have to go back in a week, I'll book with the Spanish lady as she knew about the free MRI. The Polish vet today was quite upset for Dylan when I told him about the air scratching.

Great news about the MOT. Hope his eyes clear up soon. Delighted to hear his ears are back to normal. Hopefully the Lady vet will be able to help re the MRI.

Oh, poor little Dylan. It certainly could be an allergy. Hopefully you will have some answers soon. :xfngr:

Hi Pauline, just catching up now on all these threads. How are Dylans eyes today? Have they improved at all?
:hug: from Us :flwr:

They are looking quite good now, a definate improvement. Still itching him but the drops are working. Thanks for asking.

Back