• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sleeping Advice Needed

Mom of Jato

We will be bringing home our puppy in a few days. Jato sleeps in a wire crate downstairs in the family room. I have a smaller veri-kennel that I will be using to train the new puppy in. Do I place her kennel next to Jato's crate in the family room, or place it upstairs in the bedroom with us so I can hear her better if she wakes? I've never had 2 dogs before, and was wondering what to do when she wakes in the middle of the night, if it wakes Jato up. She is only 11 weeks old. I hope when she gets bigger, and is potty trained, that they will sleep in the same crate together. Is this OK? Please advise.

I have only one cavalier, but I recall reading here that it is better if they both have their own space that they can retreat to if they wnat. There is no guarantee thay they will become best friends, although they may, and so each should have a place of their own. You may find after a while though, that they've completely bonded and that they sleep in the one bed and are inseperable. :flwr:

Just wanted to bump this up- was hoping for advice soon, will bring home the new puppy in 2 more days!!! :rah:

I have 4 cavaliers, so I have some experience with this. Each time we brought a new one home we put them in their own crate in the same room as the other dog(s). We never had any crying ever. Our puppy is now 14 months old and I have just started letting him out of his crate at night. I have a huge bed for all of them in my laundry room, so they can all sleep together if they want. I still have Oz's crate in the same room, but just leave the door open in case any of them want some private space. I have one female that pees at night - never during the day (she has been totally worked up by an internist with ultrasounds, bloodwork, urinalysis, etc., different medications and she is totally fine) so she is in her own crate every night. But the others can sleep in a pack.

Fortunately my laundry room is huge and it is right next to my bedroom (hubbie doesn't like to have the dogs sleep with us because they snore) so if the puppy needed to go out at night, I could hear him. But I do have to say - we took him home at 11 weeks old and he has never once needed to go out at night and has never peed in his crate. I'm sure though that if one of them needed to go out at night, that all of them would go out too.

During the day, I still leave him in a crate when I leave but I keep one in my family room so he can be near the other dogs. They sleep on the family room sofa or chairs when I'm gone. I think it comforts Oz to see them and be in the same room. It's funny, but I've noticed that Oliver (7+ years old) has started hanging out in the crate when we are watching t.v. in the family room at night. We leave the door open and he just goes in and goes to sleep.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful. It's so much fun - and so much work - with a little puppy. Two of mine took to Oz right away, Madison is still not so sure. Surprisingly, he has totally invigorated Oliver. Oz can always get him to play. Riley can't play yet because she is recovering from SM surgery in June, and Madison will only play if Oz is extremely persistent - and then it's only chase for a minute or two. It's still fun. I don't think I will ever have just one dog again. Good luck.

Bev, :paw: Oliver (7 yr old blen), :paw: Riley (6 yr old bl & tan), :paw: Madison (5 yr old ruby), and Oz (14 months old tri)

Hi,we got Archie at 10 weeks,we keep them seperate at nite,Alfs needs a break.We dont want Archie waking in the nite and playfighting poor Alfs.The pups dont sleep all nite they wake and have plays.Its good for them to get a break from each other.Alfs sleeps in the kitchen and himself in the utilty room.We will put them together when he is older and you know that we know major punch ups wont happen.

sleeping arrangements

Both of my boys share my bed. Prior to getting them (they were 4 months old when I got them), they slepy in an x-pen together with the other younger pups at the breeders. I know some people like to crate their dogs, others let them go where they may. Because your new pup is so young and may need to go out in the middle of the night, you may want to start her in her crate in your room (that way you can let her out when she has to wee in the night and she will not wake the other dog) and as she is able to hold it longer throughout the nioght, and gets used to her new home, you can place his crate next to her sibling's crate.

Our boys have slept in our bed for a long time...I know it's not the "right" thing to do, but we brought them in bed fairly soon afer we got them. We did get up in the middle of the night to let them out for the first several months, but now they sleep through the night. We have one wire crate in the living room that they share when we need to crate them. They also share a Vari Kennel crate when we travel in the car. I think they like being in there together, especially on car rides. If Jato is crated at night I would try placing the new puppy's crate next to his, assuming that's where you'll eventually want it...unless they end up sharing a crate at night. My 2 always sleep in a pile on top of each other even when they're not crated, so I'm sure they don't mind sharing a crate/travel kennel since it's not too often ;) I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby! My breeder just had a litter, and they're SO cute! Makes me want a third...I need to stop looking at those pictures, they're just irresistable!

Back