• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yearning For Two Cavaliers

Halina

Why is that once you have one cavalier that you yearn for another? and then part of me thinks that Hali is the exception and the other could be not as easy as Hali.... She is one now and is perfect in our routine.

I have heard many people say, "cavaliers are like potato chips, you can have just one". We used to have one or two dogs throughout my life, then I found cavaliers. The people who have one of my pups say in the future, they will be looking for another. hint hint... and three just happens to come along, then four isn't much more work than three. It can be a sickness-lol.

Yes, we had Toby for 10 years before getting Rufus when I lost my Welsh Springer Becky. I thought that no dog could be as wonderful as Toby, but Rufus has lived up to the challenge.

And I have never failed to find a Cavalier out and about that I could happily take home with me........... just as well the owner's always want to keep them.

I totally understand the feeling. Jato is only 9 months old, and he has me hooked around his little paw. :D We will be bringing home a little Ruby girl this weekend, and are so excited! I can only hope she will be as easy to train as he was. :xfngr: I agree with the statement that they are addicting!!!

I had Casey for several years before I considered getting another Cavalier, because we had other animals as well. As my oldest dog Precious became older we got another Cavalier. Now we're down to two dogs (both Cavaliers) and I find myself wanting another. The truth is, two are so much easier than three, but I would love to add a Blenheim! I may rescue one in the next year or two. We'll see.

I totally agree, I have Toby since February of this year and I would love another one but as you say Halina I feel that Toby is so laid back that another cavalier might be a lot harder work. But still, it be worth in the end ?? Decisions, decisions....

We will be bringing home a little Ruby girl this weekend, and are so excited!

Mom of Jato - I can't wait to see pictures of your little Ruby girl! Zoey, right? It might be overwhelming at first, and you might even second-guess yourself, but everything calms down soon and it's totally worth it!!! :lotsaluv:

Our 2 are quite close in age and I have to say it is the best thing we ever did!!

As strange as it sounds 2 is even easier than 1!!

They adore each other and are the best playmates:)

Funny, I never really enjoyed having two dogs before...but then I always had larger-sized ones and they were a lot of work. I had a Britanny spaniel and a Golden Retriever at one time and it made me just about nuts. I vowed never again to have two dogs.

When I opted to get our Cavalier Maggie before time was up with our Brittany, it was only because I thought the elder dog would help train the younger pup. Now my husband really wants another Cavalier and so do I. We will wait until our old boy goes to the bridge however, he no longer has patiences for the young'uns...he deserves to spend the rest of his twilight years in peace....

I agree, they're very addictive. I'd like to breed Jessica next year and keep one of the litter
Oh for crying out loud. :bang::bang: Please do not be this selfish.

Joanne, PLEASE do not breed your dog unless you get involved with the breed, join a club, get a mentor, study genetics and prpare to pay for extensive health testing including MRIs and you fully understand the genetic risks of everything you do. For God's sake, this board has an entire forum for owners of dogs with MVD and syringomyelia and endless posts from people who got dogs from backyard breeders who casually breed their poor dogs, introducing yet more long term problems in the breed. If you don't get this by this time, this isn't the board to be on. I also am not sure how or why this point was missed, but let me say it once again so it sinks in: I do not allow discussions of personal breeding plans!! -- you should be well aware of this as I have stated this in numerous threads and it is in the Getting Started section which you should have looked at before you started posting in the first place.

I hope for the sake of this poor breed that you will consider the breed itself and reconsider. The LAST thing the world needs is another backyard breeder, especially at this time, in this breed. :mad: Go look at the videos on www.smcavalier.com of cavaliers suffering in pain or come visit my two that have this condition and are on daily medication and look me in the eye then and tell me if you feel you personally can improve this breed's future -- if you have the extensive breeding and breed knowledge and one positive thing you could contribute to breeding these dogs at this time when they need committed, health focused breeders. Owning a pet is not a license to have litters. Don't become part of the problem!

When I saw this yesterday I was shocked. I did the sums myself and worked out that this dog was far too young. I havn't stopped thinking about it since and I'm pleased to see that Karlin has seen it also.

Please Joanne, listen and understand what Karlin has written. Cavaliers bring much joy into our lives but a Cavalier with health problems like SM and MVD cause us much worry, pain and heartache let alone what it can do to the dog in question.

Please be sensible and think about the dogs here and what damage you can very well do. I can't believe that you havn't seen all the posts about health on this board, it's everywhere for all to read so please don't ignore it. Learn from it today.

Have a serious re-think about your plans.

Alison.

Back