PDA

View Full Version : Finn is deathly ill

rugbymom
11th September 2008, 05:49 PM
Finnigan my year old cavalier was fine all morning. He pooped normal twice on his walks, was active and happy. Later on while taking his nap, he is woke up writhing in pain. We rushed him to the vet. They did some tests on his spine, limbs and xrayed his belly. The only thing they saw was some gas. We took him home with some pain meds and he grew steadily worse over the next hour. He was walking hunched over and crying out with every step. We rushed him to the local er and they kept him. They called and said all blood work was normal and nothing really showed up on the xrays. He did not ingest anything that I know of. He really won't eat just anything. They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon. I am a wreck. It cost a thousand dollars just to leave him there. I don't have it. I put it on a credit card that must be paid in full every month. I will scrub toilets for eternity if it means saving my beloved pet. Prayer for him please.

sins
11th September 2008, 06:09 PM
I hope it's nothing serious,Please let us know when you have some more news.
Sins

Cathy T
11th September 2008, 06:10 PM
Praying for Finnigan. You already did the right thing in rushing him to the vet. Interesting that the x-rays and bloodwork are normal. Please let us know as soon as you hear anything on the ultrasound.

WoodHaven
11th September 2008, 06:14 PM
Finnigan my year old cavalier was fine all morning. He pooped normal twice on his walks, was active and happy. Later on while taking his nap, he is woke up writhing in pain. We rushed him to the vet. They did some tests on his spine, limbs and xrayed his belly. The only thing they saw was some gas. We took him home with some pain meds and he grew steadily worse over the next hour. He was walking hunched over and crying out with every step. We rushed him to the local er and they kept him. They called and said all blood work was normal and nothing really showed up on the xrays. He did not ingest anything that I know of. He really won't eat just anything. They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon. I am a wreck. It cost a thousand dollars just to leave him there. I don't have it. I put it on a credit card that must be paid in full every month. I will scrub toilets for eternity if it means saving my beloved pet. Prayer for him please.

Sounds almost like bloat. Gas, pain, blood fine--- I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.

rugbymom
11th September 2008, 06:29 PM
Sounds almost like bloat. Gas, pain, blood fine--- I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.
He no symptons of that. He pooped twice that day. I would expect that from my mastiff not a cavalier.

I am in agony waiting for the vet to call.

frecklesmom
11th September 2008, 06:45 PM
This probably has no relevance but I had the writhing symptoms and crying out with Freckles months after he came and after sending sample to U it came back positive for Giardia. It had flared up and couldn't be seen at local vets.

rugbymom
11th September 2008, 06:48 PM
This probably has no relevance but I had the writhing symptoms and crying out with Freckles months after he came and after sending sample to U it came back positive for Giardia. It had flared up and couldn't be seen at local vets.

Did he have trouble walking? Did he cry and was hunched over when he tried to walk?

*Pauline*
11th September 2008, 06:48 PM
Will say a prayer now :hug:

frecklesmom
11th September 2008, 07:09 PM
The first time it happened he was outside, he wouldn't move from the spot and it was easy to see by his posture where he had pain-hunched and crying and by then my neighbor and I were having tears. I had never been able to get a really firm stool with him-had formed but not firm. Had taken several stools to vet and this time took the stool in and said this needs to be sent and it came back positive for Giardia.

*Pauline*
11th September 2008, 07:38 PM
Site about Giardia.

http://priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

And a quote:

What are the clinical signs associated with infection?

The trophozoites divide to produce a large population, then they begin to interfere with the absorption of food, so faeces from affected animals are typically light coloured, greasy and soft. These signs, together with the beginning of cyst shedding, begin abou tone week post-infection. There may be additional signs of large intestinal irritation, such as straining and mucus in the faeces, even though the Giardia do not colonise the large intestine. Usually the blood picture of affected animals is normal, though occasionally there is a slight increase in the number of eosinophils (one of several types of white blood cells) and mild anaemia. Without treatment, the condition may continue, either chronically or intermittently, for weeks or months.

Elaine 2
11th September 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm sending Finnigan lot's of positive thoughts and good vibes l hope he's feeling better soon :xfngr:

cy1266
11th September 2008, 08:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Finn...he's in my thoughts and please keep us posted on how he's doing :hug: I know it's scary when you don't know what's wrong with them. Do you have pet insurance on him? If not, most vets will work with you to pay a bit at a time, if that helps...just a thought. I hope he's okay, stay strong for him :flwr:

brotymo
11th September 2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know what it could be, but I will be praying for you and your finances, too. As a single mom, I know how worrying it is when things happen unexpectedly. When this crisis is past, you might look into pet insurance. It sure saved my butt this summer. I had over $2,000 in vet bills. The lion's share of those were for my cav that was covered by an Embrace policy. I know that isn't what is on your mind right now, however.

I will be thinking of you and Finnigan.

pippa
11th September 2008, 09:31 PM
Thinking of you and Finn.

frecklesmom
11th September 2008, 10:02 PM
The thing about the greasy stools-Freckles had that one time and not at the time of pain. I scoured the web for weeks and Giardia seemed to fit the problems-the vet was not convinced until the report came back :bang:. After treatment, he has not had another episode :xfngr:.

MishathePooh
11th September 2008, 10:16 PM
Look into getting a carecredit credit card. They have a 12 month no interest plan you could look into. I hope he feels better soon!

hbmama
11th September 2008, 10:20 PM
Prayers and healing thoughts going up right now for little Finn, and you as you wait for a diagnosis! :hug:

Cathy T
12th September 2008, 12:10 AM
I surely don't want to minimize what is happening with Finn but I did have an incident when Jake was young. He was obviously in pain and walked kind of hunched up, wouldn't get down off the bed and didn't want to be touched. He had woken up several times crying and I ended up putting him in bed with us and ran him to the vet in the a.m. Turned out he had gas. I felt silly but my vet told me to remember how I feel when I have those horrible stabbing gas pains and that at least I know what they are....he's just a dog and has no idea.

Hoping you hear something positive today.

Shelli
12th September 2008, 12:32 AM
Thinking of you and Finn. I hope everything turns out ok :xfngr: Big :hug: for both of you.

rugbymom
12th September 2008, 02:47 AM
Thinking of you and Finn. I hope everything turns out ok :xfngr: Big :hug: for both of you.

Finn ingested something that was too big for his little intestines. It has finally made its way to his large intestine but hasn't passed yet even with the help of enemas. He is starting to squat like he has to go. If it doesn't pass soon,they are going to have to knock him out and try and massage it out. He developed aspriation pneumonia from retching. He is still quite ill. I will never pray so hard for a dog to poop.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. We still have aways to go.

brotymo
12th September 2008, 02:52 AM
oh my goodness! I worry about that all the time. I am constantly scouring for stuff on the floor, and still wind up having to pry things from Bandit's mouth. I do hope Finn passes it without having any major intervention, and it sounds like the pneumonia could be a bigger problem.

Here are hugs to you and wishes for a speedy recovery.:hug:

Chelle & Rex
12th September 2008, 03:13 AM
:hug: to you and Finn. hope he is better is soon and you can stop worrying about him :flwr::flwr:

Love my Cavaliers
12th September 2008, 03:27 AM
My then 2 year old blenheim swallowed a cat toy he found at the pet sitter's (you can bet we don't take our dogs there anymore!!). It became impacted and was unable to be passed. He was really ill and ended up with surgery, losing 2 feet of his intestines which had become gangrenous in a very short period of time. I'm not saying this to worry you, but to let you know that Oliver came out of this like a champ. He is now 7+ years old and has no digestive problems. He doesn't have to eat special food and his poops are perfectly normal. Hopefully Finn will be able to pass it on his own, or even with some massage help. It is so sad to see them so acutley ill. Your heart just breaks. Keeping my fingers crossed that he's able to pass it soon :xfngr:. I'll be thinking about you all night. Please keep us all posted.
Bev, :paw: Oliver (7 yr old blen), :paw: Riley (6 yr old bl & tan), :paw:Madison (5 yr old ruby) and :paw:Oz (1 yr old tri)

Cathy T
12th September 2008, 03:34 AM
Hoping Finn is able to pass his obstruction. My brother's golden ate an entire corn cob, she spent a couple of days at the vet's office under observation and eventually passed it on her (with a little bit of "help"). She went on to live a long healthy life.

Hoping we heard good news soon.:xfngr:

Cathy Moon
12th September 2008, 03:45 AM
Thinking of you and Finn. :hug::hug: I hope he's better soon. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

frecklesmom
12th September 2008, 05:13 AM
Thoughts and prayers for Finn that he is able to get rid of this ? :xfngr: And :flwr: for you for holding up this very long day

Jan Bell
12th September 2008, 09:28 AM
Finn's Mum,

It is good that they have found out what is wrong, and I hope for an update from you shortly with good news. Until then, we are all thinking of you and wish you and Finn the best.

ice-cavi
12th September 2008, 11:08 AM
:xfngr:Hope Finn is on his way to recovery .:hug:

Alison_Leighfield
12th September 2008, 11:21 AM
Keep us updated,

I hope he is a little better for you today? Finn we all send hugs your way ((x))

Alison x

Karlin
12th September 2008, 11:40 AM
This must be so frightening and worrying. I hope he has passed the item and will not need surgery. :xfngr::xfngr:

coconut
12th September 2008, 11:45 AM
So Sorry to hear this i will say a pray for ye and hope that ye will not have to operate on him!

pippa
12th September 2008, 12:02 PM
Fingers crossed for Finn!

Nicki
12th September 2008, 01:17 PM
Thinking of you from here too - I really hope he passes whatever is causing the obstruction.

Sadly many things do not show up on x-ray - one of the worst is baby's dummies, the rubber teat is easy to chew off and blocks the intestines, and doesn't show up...one reason to NEVER give a dummy to a dog.

I am also aware of a Cavalier who died afer ingesting a corn cob :(

We really hope for some good news for Finn today.

rugbymom
12th September 2008, 03:08 PM
Thinking of you from here too - I really hope he passes whatever is causing the obstruction.

Sadly many things do not show up on x-ray - one of the worst is baby's dummies, the rubber teat is easy to chew off and blocks the intestines, and doesn't show up...one reason to NEVER give a dummy to a dog.

I am also aware of a Cavalier who died afer ingesting a corn cob :(

We really hope for some good news for Finn today.
They did an ultrasound. They can see it clearly in the large intestine now. It has to clear the bend and go onto freedom. I won't find out till after 10 today if he passed it on his own or they have to help him. He has to stopp throwing up to come home. Please Please continue to pray for my beloved Finn. I haven't slept in 3 days because he is not here to sleep with me. He curls up in a little ball behind my knees to sleep.
He helped my hubby recover from a cardiac arrest and brain damage. My hubby is lost without him too. Even our other animals miss him. The rabbit keeps looking for him and so does the mastiff. We really love that little guy.

Cleo's Person
12th September 2008, 03:29 PM
RugbyMom both Finn and your family are in my thoughts. :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr:

rugbymom
12th September 2008, 04:31 PM
All Finn's vitals are good though he is still wretching and hasn't passed that horrible, nasty, obstruction yet. I am praying with all my heart and soul. I would give my left arm to have him home right now.

coconut
12th September 2008, 04:32 PM
my prays are with finn and u!!

sins
12th September 2008, 05:11 PM
He'll be home soon,they're not going to leave him in distress,they'll do everything to help things along.:xfngr:

rugbymom
12th September 2008, 05:57 PM
It has been 2 and a half long angonizing days. It is in the large intestine now. The wait is agonizing.

Margaret C
12th September 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm really praying for your little Finn.

Margaret C

Claire L
12th September 2008, 07:17 PM
Sending prayers and hugs to Finn :xfngr: he is able to pass the obstruction soon and that you get him back real soon :hug::hug::hug:

rugbymom
12th September 2008, 07:24 PM
Dear Margaret:

My daughter's name is Margaret too. She is very shaken up about this. Thank you for your prayers. Please ask everyone to pray for him.

frecklesmom
12th September 2008, 07:41 PM
Hope Finn is holding his own-praying for this little guy to be tough, I'm sure he's very tired of this misery. Be brave, Finn :hug:

MishathePooh
12th September 2008, 10:09 PM
Rooting for Finn to get well soon! I hope since it has passed this far, it will make it's way out without help. Poor little guy. They cannot give him an anti-nausea?

Shelli
12th September 2008, 10:29 PM
Hope Finn is on his way to recovery. Will be keeping you both in my prayers :)

Elaine 2
12th September 2008, 10:43 PM
Oh poor little Finn, I'm sending more good vibes for him, and keeping him in my thoughts and prayers,

inca
12th September 2008, 11:08 PM
any news on the little fella ?

Alison_Leighfield
12th September 2008, 11:08 PM
Thinking about you both, praying for some good news tomorrow, keep us updated please.

Alison.

brotymo
13th September 2008, 02:30 AM
here's hoping for some good news soon!

Lani
13th September 2008, 02:34 AM
prayers for Finn ...

Hope he gets all better soon. :xfngr:

rugbymom
13th September 2008, 03:44 AM
He is still in the hospital but showing small signs of improvement. He hasn't thrown up all day and all his vitals are normal including oxygen levels. They are going to introduce small amounts of food to see if that will help generate stool to help the object pass out. They can't be 100 per cent sure that it is a foreign object. It could be inflamation. I am praying the food will stay down and help him.

Thanks everyone for all the prayers. They give me hope, comfort and strength. I feel that Finn is surrounded by God's healing hands thanks to all of you.

Cathy T
13th September 2008, 03:48 AM
I'll keep up my prayers!!!

brotymo
13th September 2008, 06:17 AM
Here is hoping for a big, overnight stinky poo! guess you never thought that poop would become so interesting, even critical.

qwickkertje
13th September 2008, 12:27 PM
I just saw the thread and I really hope there will be a major improvement today.. We all keep our fingers and paws crossed!

Cathy Moon
13th September 2008, 02:37 PM
Sending prayers for Finn. :hug::flwr:

rugbymom
13th September 2008, 05:28 PM
Finn took a turn for the worst last night. He began vomiting alot. He is not getting any better the are doing another test today and then maybe surgery. They still can't figure out what is bothering him.

Cathy T
13th September 2008, 05:44 PM
Oh no.....I was so hoping for good news. Praying they can find out what is wrong and get him fixed up. I'm so sorry, this has been so rough on you. Praying so so hard for Finn.

sins
13th September 2008, 05:51 PM
This is not the news we were hoping for. Hang in there and hope for some improvement.
Sins

Arne
13th September 2008, 05:54 PM
We are thinking of you.

brotymo
13th September 2008, 06:17 PM
oh dear, I was hoping to hear he'd passed the obstruction and that he'd be home soon. I will be praying for the vets to figure this out quickly and do what is needed for him. :xfngr:

Daisy's Mom
13th September 2008, 06:41 PM
My prayers to you and Finn. I know how scary that must be. I really hope they figure things out -- and soon!

rugbymom
13th September 2008, 07:04 PM
The ultrasound today showed something new that has them rethinking an obstruction. His adrenal glands are too small and his hormone level is only 3 when it should be 2. They believe he may have Addison's disease instead. It can present like an intestinal obstruction. I am so confused. The good news is can be treated the bad news is Finn still can't keep any food down and is still quite ill. They are sending out the blood work today and we won't know until Monday. More agony. His intenstines could have been irriatated by the disease and that is why they thought he had an obstruction. They were really inflamed. Thanks to supplying me with the knowledge of giardia. They are going to treat him for that too. Lets hope that we finally know what is wrong with him.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support. Hopefully we are seeing light out of a very dark tunnel.

Margaret C
13th September 2008, 07:12 PM
Thinking of you

Margaret C

Jan Bell
13th September 2008, 07:40 PM
Lets hope that this is the start of a brighter patch for Finn. It must be better now that they have finally found out what the problem is.
Best wishes,

frecklesmom
13th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Thinking of you and your family. Hoping for good strength for Finn ( I love his name) :hug::hug::hug::hug:

Alison_Leighfield
13th September 2008, 08:08 PM
Come on Finn, we all love you xxx

Sending hugs for the little fella (((x)))

Alison.

Kimmisue
13th September 2008, 08:19 PM
I am sending pryaers and good wishes..

Finn ....hang in there.

leesanlucie
13th September 2008, 11:04 PM
Awww....bless the wee soul.
I will keep him in my prayers.

Cavvygirl
13th September 2008, 11:11 PM
Only just saw this thread, I am keeping my fingers crossed for your little sweetheart:xfngr:

Cathy T
13th September 2008, 11:44 PM
What an awful rollercoaster you are on! If it's any consolation I just assisted with rescue in placing a 3 year old female with Addison's. Her prognosis and life expectancy is great. She takes 1/2 prednisone daily and has a blood test and injection every 5 weeks. She's a very happy girl and doing great.

Here is the website I found when researching how Addison's would affect this girl http://www.addisondogs.com/

And WDJ had a great article on Addison's a while back.

If it turns out this is what it is and you are interested in the articles....please pm me.

Praying, hoping and wishing that Finn will be okay soon.

jld
14th September 2008, 12:17 AM
Thinking about you and Finn.....will be saying a prayer that all goes well this weekend and that Monday brings very good news.

WillowsMom
14th September 2008, 03:19 AM
Lots of positive vibes out to you and Finn - I can only imagine what you are going through - hopefully you'll get some good news soon!

Krista

cecily
16th September 2008, 10:57 PM
Just after seeing this thread.
So sorry to hear Finn has been so ill. How is he now? My thought are with you xxx