• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Digestive timing...

Jenny37

I am having a problem with my 18 month old cav. TinkerBell. She will always urinate outside, but she does not always go outside to have a bowel movement.

So after several accidents in the past month, I am regrouping. I am having all carpets cleaned to get rid of any scent, we are going to get strict with crate training again.

My question is on her digestive system, we feed her twice a day, half a cup in the morning and half a cup at night. I think that maybe we should go to a once a day feeding, as to keep her timing more regular for her bowel movements. How long does it take dry food to digest? Would it be better to feed her in the morning or at night?

The problem isn't how she is fed (once or twice really will not matter at all); the problem is, she isn't fully housetrained.

You need to go back to the very basics and work forward with her, using rewards, never punishment, and be sure she is under supervision 100% of the time and never, ever allowed to roam around the house. She should be at arm's length at all times and taken out at regular intervals for toileting. A walk is better for bowel movements than just letting the dog out into the back. Also -- she must be on lead and accompanied out just as when a puppy, not allowed to go out on her own.

I recommend getting Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining (get it from Amazon or any of the dog training books sites) as it goes into remedial training.

Every single time she goes inside means it cements the association with going inside so you must supervise to the extent that from now on, she NEVER has the opportunity to go inside.

Also: if in the past you punished her for going inside this may well be why she is pooping in the house. Punishment tnds to only teach a dog not to go when you are there, and many dogs start to go in other parts of the house. Close doors to other rooms too and start strict management. (y)

There are posts in the Library section on crate training which include info on housetraining and there are good training sites pinned at the top of the training section all of which have info on housetraining to avoid accidents.

I agree---we thought that she was potty trained, but its obvious, she is not. sigh

I have never scolded her when she has had an accident, so that is not a problem.

However, I cannot help but think that maybe feeding her once a day, would put her on more of schedule as far as bowel movements. Wouldn't she be more inclined to go at the same times, if she eats at a certain time and only once a day?

So there is nothing to that?

Back