• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Snails !!!!

karenc

Ive just took a snail from my puppy :eek: it was still in its shell but Im worried as to what harm it can do to her. Can anyone advise me, she is fine and playing. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

No immediate concern, but you should ring your vet next week and see if they advise a round of worming or other action. I don't know if the pup would need to eat and swallow the snail or could possibly pick up something just from carrying a snail around. They can cause lungworm.

Hi

Daisy is the one i have to watch full time in the garden today i caught her twice just as she starting nosing two very lethargic bees which were crawling on the ground ,after getting Daisy away i carefully let the bees onto my hand then popped some on some bushes in and area not available to the girls,its also wasp season though there doesn't seem as many about as normal about for some reason.

I used to work in a veterinary diagnostic lab in the 1980's and lungworm are not my favourite parasite!As long as you have a decent worming regime with a product bought from a vet(not supermarket wormers) you have little to worry about.
On a positive note snails are high in protein and low in fat and dogs don't seem to mind that they're not served in garlic butter.:p:p
Sins

Hmm .. don't seem to have these problems with my Rufus.. I think he must be a bit of a wimp. I found him in the garden backing away from a snail when he was a puppy and he hasn't got any braver since. Toby just ignores them.

I always know when there is some kind of bug in the house by Rufus staring in horror and backing away everytime it moves. Still, better than my old Welsh Springer Becky, who used to try and eat everything, and liked nothing better than "big game hunting" with a house fly.

Thanks all for your help. Katie has been wormed with pancur up to date. I thought t was a pebble she had a till I saw it foaming yuk!!! I havent encountered snails in the garden before but my sister in law has them by the thousands. Her husband collected 600 in one night ! when they get up the next day theres as many again. I dont want my garden overrun with them so Im picking them up and bagging them ,then in the bin they go. Ive only had 1/2 dozen ( 1/2 doz too many for me) I do have a frog in the same part of the garden so hopefully it eats the ones I miss.There are a few empty shells. My other dogs dont bother with them at all but puppies will be puppies and are very curious.:rolleyes:

...only half a dozen snails? I wish I lived where you do - from the gardening point of view anyway.

Best wishes,

Back