• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ian Dunbar training seminar: this weekend, Dublin!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Famed trainer Dr Ian Dunbar will be in Dublin this weekend to give a training seminar.

Dr Dunbar, regularly recommended here for his training manuals and puppy books, is one of the pioneers of positive methods training and his books and videos and training methods have gained international recognition.

You can book for either day or both. This is a real once in a lifetime chance to learn directly from a major training guru! More info and booking.

Dog Training Ireland is delighted to host a seminar by Dr.Ian Dunbar.

SATURDAY: BEHAVIOR & TEMPERAMENT PROBLEMS
Learn simple and effective solutions for common behaviour problems including:

House-soiling, Destructive chewing, Excessive barking, Digging, Escaping, Separation Anxiety, and Obsessive-Compulsive disorders.
Causes of dogfights and dog bites
Assessment of the severity of fighting problems based on Fight/Bite ratios and of the severity of biting problems based on an objective evaluation of wound pathology
Training techniques for the prevention, treatment, and control of dog-dog and dog-human aggression
Socialization, classical conditioning, and progressive desensitization techniques for handling food guarding
Four stages of bite inhibition during early development and puppy play

SUNDAY: HOW TO MOTIVATE DOGS TO WANT TO DO WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO
Five stages of lure/reward training to increase speed of learning, reliability, precision and motivation and to solidify retention

Pros and cons of different dog-friendly dog training techniques:
lure/reward training
all-or-none reward training
shaping (with or without clickers)
autoshaping
physical prompting.

Using praise, food, toys, and games as lures, rewards, motivators and distractions instead of bribes.

Learn how to empower kibble (and other low-grade primary reinforcers) as the most powerful secondary reinforcer and the very best training reward.

Learn how tricks and games resolve behavior problems, increase owner compliance, ruthlessly and objectively test (and improve) the reliability of the dogs’ (and owners’) performance, and above all, add a little sparkle and razzle dazzle to the training game for dogs, owners, trainers, and onlookers!
About Ian Dunbar
Dr.Ian Dunbar is a veterinarian, animal behaviorist, and dog trainer. He received his veterinary degree and a Special Honors degree in Physiology & Biochemistry from the Royal Veterinary College (London University) and a doctorate in animal behavior from the Psychology Department at the University of California in Berkeley, where he spent ten years researching olfactory communication, the development of hierarchical social behavior, and aggression in domestic dogs.

Over the past 35 years, Dr. Dunbar has given over 850 one-day seminars and workshops for dog trainers and veterinarians in an effort to popularize off-leash puppy socialization classes, temperament modification, and owner-friendly and dog-friendly dog training. Dr. Dunbar is the Founder of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers in the US — the largest and most influential association of pet dog trainers in the world. Additionally, he has helped establish APDTs in other countries, including Australia, Canada, France, Japan, Mexico and Spain.

Dr.Dunbar has written numerous books, produced many videos about puppy/dog behavior and training, and hosted his own television show in the UK — Dogs With Dunbar. He taught the world’s first off-leash puppy classes (SIRIUS® Puppy Training), developed and wrote the American Kennel Club Gazette’s Behavior Column, and created the ultimate dog show — the K9 GAMES®, an annual event in Japan.

Dr.Dunbar is currently Director of the Center for Applied Animal Behavior in Berkeley, California, where he lives with his wife Kelly, along with dogs Claude, Dune and Hugo and kitties Ugly and Mayhem. Kelly and Ian’s current project is www.dogstardaily.com — a multi-media daily magazine for dog people.

To find out more about Dr.Ian Dunbar, go to www.dogstardaily.com/blogger/4.

Interesting article on Dunbar:

http://dogtime.com/cesar-millan-and-ian-dunbar.html

Just a reminder that this is at the Aer Lingus Athletic Centre out by the airport, NOT at DTI's training centre. Registrations I think are also possible on the day. I'll be there for Saturday.

Oh I am so going to HAVE to MOVE to Dublin. All the exciting things are always on there. I hope you have a great time at the workshop Karlin. Is it an owner only type thing or will you be bringing one of your gang with you?

Just the people! That means I have to drive home at lunch, walk my crew and my elderly neighbour's dog, then fly back for the second half of the day.

Back