• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Training weekend for small dogs

Kate H

Oliver and I do competition obedience and train once a month with Maria Carter, who lives near Cheltenham and works her corgis in Novice, A, B and C. Twice a year I organise a competition training weekend for small dogs at Maria's home. The next one is 4-5 October and we have had a couple of cancellations, so if anyone would like to join us, please get in touch with me. Maria is a brilliant teacher, numbers are kept small so that everyone gets lots of one-to-one help, and the cost is very reasonable. Some people come in every day, some stay at local B & Bs, and Oliver and I and a few others put up our tents in the orchard! We have all sorts - cavaliers, toy poodles, bichons, terriers, corgis, lowchens - learn a lot and have a lot of fun. If it's too short notice for this year, the next one will be 18-19 April.

All the best

Kate and Oliver

Next year would be possible...my two Shelties would enjoy it and living in Swindon the travelling isn't that far from you, what level are you working at? there are a few members from our training club that would be interested as well with smaller dogs. Sounds good fun :)

Alison.

is it just basic training? i have never done any obedience and i will be honest she isnt the most trained dog.

is it just basic training? i have never done any obedience and i will be honest she isnt the most trained dog.
If she's eager to please you and enjoys the attention, she may be competition worthy in a very short time.

Chocolate passed her therapy dog test with me shortly after she came to live with us. We had never taken obedience together, and she barely knew any commands (outside of what a show dog knows), but she is such a sweetie and so eager to please that she passed on our first try! (y)

oh she's eager to please if i have chicken in my hand. i just concerned about my agoraphobia. where exactly will it be held? is there a charge?

plus i wouldnt want to compete anywhere i just think it would be fun, so if there is anyone else who wants to go let them.

Small dog training weekend

The weekend is intended primarily for people who want to compete - even if they haven't actually started yet! The course covers Pre-Beginners to A so lots of heelwork, recall, retrieve and stays, but also advice on how to start training A recall, sendaway, scent etc. Cost is £40 for one dog, £60 for two. Maria has a grass training area (with a ring set up), a tarmaced car park for when it's wet underfoot, and an indoor hall - plus a field to give the dogs a run when training's over.

Maria also runs a monthly training day - a Wednesday during the summer, Sundays in the winter; Oliver and I go, getting a lift with a friend, and really look forward to it. He loves training - trouble is, when he gets into a ring everything outside is more interesting than me! But he does win a few rosettes, and all the judges say (being more used to obsessive collies than happy Cavaliers) 'But his tail never stops wagging!' My avatar picture is Oliver practising sendaway at the last training weekend.

Kate and Oliver

Back