• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

16 week old male Blenheim, PETLAND

Halina

I just wanted someone who may know how to "rescue" a cavalier to go to the Petland in Mentor, OH? I visit regularly and they have a male who has been there over 4 weeks. I would love to adopt him but I am unable to but I feel so bad leaving him there.

Please, please don't 'rescue' him. The petstore will replace him with another as soon as you 'create' a market for them. It is very difficult to leave him. I usually go into to petland and make sure all the pups don't look ill. Last time a couple of kittens looked sick-- icky eyes, running nose and shivering.

Isn't there an organization to save him. This one is ACA and parents are from out of the country?????? do you think they will kill him? I am so very sad. I know I could not take him. Hali enjoys being a one and only princess.

They will slowly reduce his fee until someone breaks down and buys him. The faster that happens, the more cavaliers they will stock. The last petland cavalier I found started at 2200. I went in and played with him for a while, but I knew that I'd never buy him.

I just wanted someone who may know how to "rescue" a cavalier to go to the Petland in Mentor, OH? I visit regularly and they have a male who has been there over 4 weeks. I would love to adopt him but I am unable to but I feel so bad leaving him there.

This is one of the hardest choices to make -- if you take the puppy at near full price, then Petland thinks they can be sold for a good profit and they go get more and the cycle continues -- if you do not get the puppy he stays at Petland without socialization and is perhaps returned to the puppy miller who sold him to Petland (probably through a broker). What I would do if yoiu cannot get him out of your mind (and lots of us have been there with a dog), is to visit frequently, take him out to play, make sure he seems healthy and his cage clean and if not, complain to the staff and if necessary complain up the ladder -- in other words, be his guardian angel. If he is not sold soon, they will start dropping the price and at some point, if you have someone who is willing to adopt him, you may be able to get him for just a couple hundred dollars, low enough that the store does not really profit.

I would also write to Petland and tell them you will not shop in their store until they stop buying and selling dogs. It seems to have little impact on them but it does make you feel better.

Hope the little fellow finds a good home soon.

I know it's incredibly hard to leave the puppy at Petland, but please picture his parents who are most likely in a deplorable mill situation -- one that would make Petland look good. If we can resist buying just one generation of ALL PUPPIES FROM PET STORES, then there goes the demand. Pet stores will stop selling puppies because it's not a profitable enterprise and the need for mills will diminish drastically. We could then rescue all the breeding slaves in the mills and put an end to this nasty cycle for good. Okay, off my soap box now:eek:

I know it's incredibly hard to leave the puppy at Petland, but please picture his parents who are most likely in a deplorable mill situation -- one that would make Petland look good. If we can resist buying just one generation of ALL PUPPIES FROM PET STORES, then there goes the demand. Pet stores will stop selling puppies because it's not a profitable enterprise and the need for mills will diminish drastically. We could then rescue all the breeding slaves in the mills and put an end to this nasty cycle for good. Okay, off my soap box now:eek:

No Tara, that was perfect.. I really wish NO ONE would buy another dog of any breed from a pet store again.

Yes, I wish there could be a campaign with something similar to the famous slogan, don't buy one, until there are none. I don't have a problem with people taking the puppies that are so reduced that they have to be losing money on them, I don't believe the mills will take unsold puppies back. And just thinking of that , a puppy that goes from horrid to bad , back to horrid. I wish the AR activists would do something like that instead of trying to shut down breeding entirely.

Agree with all the above; and just adding that there is no organisation that I know of that rescues by buying puppies from petshops.

Back