• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Furminator - what size??

metime

Good morning
Have been looking at getting a furminator for Brady who is shedding big time at the minute. No matter how many times I hoover or sweep there is still hair all over the place :rolleyes:

I see there are different sizes of furminators and wondering which size best suits a cavalier.

He is straight haired.

TIA

I don't know, do these damage the coat on a cav? I use one on my malamute mix when she is shedding, but not on my cav.

Well, I got my girl from her breeder when she was about 6 months old. For the first month, very little shedding, and then, about a month later it looked like a snow storm in my house with hair EVERYWHERE! I brushed and brushed her and it didn't help much.

I then got a small furminator and yes, it took mounds of hair off of her. Problem was, her coat was so thin when I finished I realized it was taking too much of her beautiful coat. I could see pink skin underneath!:eek: Oh, by the way, she was still shedding what was left of her coat after being furminated.

After she was spayed, (at about a year), she shed alot for about a month, then, it settled down. Dottie doesn't have a thick or boufy coat, just soft and straight. Now, three months after the spay, she is hardly shedding at all. I think she was first shedding her puppy coat when we got her, then the other shed was a combo of the twice yearly shed and hormones from being spayed.

I understand these dogs (and many other breeds) will "blow" their coats twice a year, then settle down. I wouldn't personally use a furminator again on her because I think it was cutting her coat as well as removing dead hair.

Maybe if your dog has a very, very thick and foofy coat it might be a good idea if you want it thinned down, otherwise, I won't be using it again. Just my two cents worth. :)

Oh, Tia...also, isn't Brady about a year old ??? He is probably blowing his coat just like Dottie did at that age. I swear during those times I was sweeping up enough hair daily to knit sweaters for the entire family, and should have bought stock in the sticky roller company!

I am just thrilled that her shedding is now minimal, and hopefully, if you stick it out, Brady will also settle down. Some of it is genetics and some just the twice yearly heavy sheds. (y)

If you do get the furminator, just go really light with it, and maybe it will work for you.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes Brady is almost a year so maybe I will persevere with the brushing for the mo. He has also just been neutered so good to know that it could also be related.

Spent all morning hooovering everywhere including all his bedding (big bed and small bed) and the car and am sure the hoover bag is full. Got the bedding washed and treated in the launderette.

But certainly don't want him to end up like Dottie. :(

Ferminator

As far as I know, the ferminator was designed for dogs with a heavy undercoat (Huskys, St. Bernards etc.). Because Cavaliers don't have this undercoat, I personally wouldn't use it on one. And after reading about Dottie I don't think I would use one at all!

I have the small one (blue handle)
I light brush my dogs almost daily with no problem.
it should only takes out the fuzzy/shedding coat.
Its a good product, i recommended it highly to dogs with fuller coat. However, you need to brush your dog gently since the blade is made of metal. :dogwlk:

It's a stripping blade and it has worked well on my neutered male who has a woolly bear coat in the winter! In the summer he's shaved so I obviously don't use it them. I got the largest one, but I would prefer a smaller one. I would probably get a small if I were to get another.

They have a medium size now that I really like . I got a good buy on ebay. I use it the most on my wooly boy. I can't take off enough fur on him!

Back