• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking -? separation anxiety

lesjoanne

We have just found out from a neighbour that Tanner (10mths) has started barking a fair bit when we are not in. He doesn't bark much at other times, so we don't really know how to stop it. He has a confined area during the day, and also has kongs and treat balls, as well as our 6mth old for company. We do have a dog flap so he can go out if needs be, and the barking seems to be out in the garden.
Obviously we are keen to sort, as we don't want to upset the neighbours.Any help greatly appreciated

How long are you out for? If it isn't long, I'd lock the dog flap and make him hold it. I personally really worry about dog flaps as someone could steal your dog from the garden, it happens. If this is becoming an issue for your neighbors, and if you are out all day, I'd ask someone to come in to let them out for toileting. This way they get a little company, don't risk being stolen and keep the neighbors happy:) I hope it's just playful barking and not separation anxiety.

That's a tough question to answer really.One of the biggest problems of being a dog owner is trying to stay out of trouble with neighbours. I would start by closing the dog flap.There are probably neighbours further away who work nights and need sleep by day and might hear him.
It mightn't even be separation anxiety,he could just be stimulated by the sounds of other dogs or from passing cats and birds.Give him a good walk before going out in the morning( not too long as he's young),then he might sleep for a while indoors.If he has access out of doors then he may possibly escape or be stolen.A ten month old pup could even be killed by a large male cat or a dog who strays in.I was very lucky to save Daisy from a massive Tom cat who had tossed her effortlessly into the air.
Good luck with it all and I think you're a very good neighbour to be concerned and making an effort to deal with it.
Sins

Last edited:
I always keep mine in when I am out. Mostly in case they are stolen.

Dj is a barker when he is outside, but it's because of all the smells on the air etc.

Maybe try leaving the flap closed the next time you go out and ask your neighbour would she/he kindly let you know if Tanner is barking inside when your not there.

Hope this helps.

I agree with whats been said so far.
As much as the space available is confined.. its not really if he has access to the garden, so aside from the safety reasons then i think making him 'hold' the toilet is the way to go with that one too. It could very well be that he is just barking at noises that he can hear outside!
Try restricting him further, and see how that goes. You've got nothing to lose :)

It must be really frustrating for you though.:confused:

Another side issue, but thought it my be useful; I dog sit a Scottie dog occasionally, she has a dog flap at her house and because she isn't used to asking to go out, she has accidents in my house. Now I take her out a lot and if it's warm I leave the back door open (only if I'm in the kitchen or lounge where I can see the garden). I find a dog flap doesn't fully house train a dog.

I like the idea of asking the neighbor to get involved by listening out on a day you lock Tanner in. That way they know you are trying to sort the problem, they may be more patient with him.

woody barks in the mornings for you to come and keep him company!!! the only time my dogs bark is when i come home in the evenings and they can hear me!!!

i think the dog flap is a good idea!!!

Thanks for all the posts - we covered up the dog flap this am, so will see how that goes.

My hubby forgot to lock an internal door this am , so when I returned a while ago, I found Tanner sitting on top of my dining table!! Mischeievous but lovable little imp

Back