PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Cavalier in pub in Cheshire

Steffers
29th September 2008, 03:02 PM
Hey everyone,

I have no idea whether this is the right place to post this, but i wanted some advice !!

This weekend i went away for a few days on a canal boat with my husband and a couple of friends, and on saturday we moored up at a pub [name removed by admin]. So we wandered in to get drinks, complete with Louis in his spiderman suit.

The Landlady says 'Oh, you don't want another one do you? We've got one of those, he was a rescue dog and we've had him for about 13 months but he's too clingy and doing our head in'

So i went outside and they brought out this beautiful ruby male, bigger than Louis (who is a runt!). And i would have taken him there and then, but the problem is that Bubbles (which is what the pub-cavvie was called) was an uncastrated male. And Louis, who is also an uncastrated male, took umbridge to him almost instantly!

So we had to leave him there, and i have been thinking about him ever since. Apparently he needs a lot of love and attention, and likes to be with people all of the time, which is essentially why they are keen to get rid of him. Louis was exactly the same when we first got him - he had major abandonment issues and needed a lot of love!!

So is there anything we can do for Bubbles? I can't get it out of my head, poor lad

chloe92us
29th September 2008, 03:29 PM
There are probably some people on this board that could go talk the people into handing him over to rescue. Did she want money for him?

Steffers
29th September 2008, 03:34 PM
No no, - no money, they just wanted someone to take him. Obviously they would have been happy for him to go with me and my husband as Louis was there with us and they could see we were responsible dog owners.

They were really nice people, but i don't think a cavalier was the right dog for them, thats all. I think they wanted a self-sufficient guard dog type, and instead they got a soft clingy cute cuddle-holic

He was lovely, i wish i had took a photo

pcfarrar
29th September 2008, 03:43 PM
They were really nice people,

They sound like the sort of people that should be banned from owning dogs for life.

Steffers
29th September 2008, 03:46 PM
They sound like the sort of people that should be banned from owning dogs for life.

I am trying very hard to be balanced and nice . . . .

(but i kind of agree with you pcfarrar)

Karlin
29th September 2008, 03:48 PM
If you want him, why would you not just neuter at least one of the males? Keeping two intact males together generally isn't a good idea anyway, and neutering one might resolve the issue. Keep in mind you may have problems ever taking any second dog, while you own an intact male that is aggressive to other males however (obviously he couldn't be around an intact female either).

If she got him from rescue it is her responsibility to contact the rescue they got him from (assuming that is where he was obtained). Most rescues home dogs with the requirement that dogs come back to them during their lifetime if they need to be rehomed. Also almost all rescues neuter before homing or require adopting families to neuter so maybe he didn't actually come from a rescue. Alternatively have them contact breed rescue or a nearby friendly general rescue. Any general rescue would take such a dog and easily rehome. :)

I have removed the name of the pub as this is the owner's private matter and unless they gave permission for the details to go up on the internet, this is too specific. :thmbsup:

Steffers
29th September 2008, 04:08 PM
Most rescues home dogs with the requirement that dogs come back to them during their lifetime if they need to be rehomed. Also almost all rescues neuter before homing or require adopting families to neuter so maybe he didn't actually come from a rescue.

You see, i was aware of both of those facts, and was VERY suprised when i discovered their dog hadn't been neutered when it was a rescue dog. Having had several other rescue dogs in my life, they have all been neutered/spayed, with no exceptions.

Perhaps i have been a little naive, and perhaps they weren't telling me the whole truth.

My friend who was on holiday with us, is a vet nurse, and she too demonstrated suprise at the situation.

And neutering the pub-cavvie is maybe an option long term i hadn't considered. Obviously at the time we were on a narrowboat, all living a a very confined space for the next 48 hours so we really really couldn't take him as it threw Louis completely and that wouldn't have been pleasant for anyone!! He is proven to be perfectly happy with castrated males and all females though . . .

Am gonna text my vet nurse mate for an opinion!!

*Pauline*
29th September 2008, 04:32 PM
I hope you take him. ;):D

Steffers
29th September 2008, 05:48 PM
its looking difficult because there is no-one who can take him in the meantime . . . .

I am going to keep trying though.

Elaine 2
29th September 2008, 07:58 PM
Steffers, I'm just wondering if you might have been better if you and your husband had took them both for a long walk together one on either side of you both and let them mingle slowly and tired out, sometimes my collie can be funny meeting dogs head on like that..... just a thought :)

Karlin
29th September 2008, 09:15 PM
Well the other option is to simply take him and then work with a rescue to rehome properly. An intact cavalier can quickly end up in a very bad situation if he is rehomed without having the home carefully checked. It dosn;t sound like the best situation if the woman is offring ther dog to casual visitors! :eek: Also what she describs as a problem is simply the normal breed behaviour -- thes are the possible 'cons' to a cavalier and I always make sure people know how closely bonded and velcro-like this breed generally is. For most of us that love cavaliers, that is whatwe like baout them -- but flip the situation around and that behaviour can be a ral turnoff for some. It is funny thoughh that peopl describe it as a problem! :cool:

coconut
29th September 2008, 09:18 PM
never a problem in our house i love that they wanna sit with u or on top of ur head in some of my cases!!!!

Steffers
30th September 2008, 12:25 AM
Everyone has made very valid points, and it has given me a lot to think about.

My friend who is the nurse has said she will be quite happy to book him in to be neutered, but the issue is obviously what to do in the meantime.

Also, as it has already been stated, i was just a casual visitor, passing through on a canal boat, and it IS worrying that they were so keen to palm him off on me. I think, in retropspect if we had taken Louis off the lead and not been watching them with quite the intensity that we did, things may have turned out better.

See, my problems are these:-

1. I don't actually KNOW these people. They own a pub, and they aren't fussed on their cavalier, and thats the extent of it. I could probably get a phone number for the pub, but then what do i say?? Hello, i'm the lass you tried to give you're dog to at the weekend ??? How do i go about anything without putting their back up?

2. I don't live near the pub, its a good 100 miles away at least, so i don't have the option of just popping in regularly and keeping an eye on things

3. If i actually manage to get him, what do i do with him until he has been snipped?

It is a very good point about working with a rescue, but i wouldn't have a clue where to start - would i call the pub people, would i call the rescue?? I am not an expert by any stretch; i am just your basic common-garden variety dog-lover.

And i too found it heartbreaking that the reason they didn't want him is because he is so loving. The landlord said to me 'Oh you should see the back door. Its all scratched where he has tried to get in when we're all in the other room' . . . I think he wanted me to reassure him that it was behaviour that would gradually stop as the dog got acclimatised, but sadly i couldn't . . . The door to our basement actually looks like part of it has been sanded from occasions when my husband has been in his workshop for an afternoon !!!

I really appreciate all the advice guys, cheers xxxxx

*Pauline*
30th September 2008, 12:36 AM
Re question number one. I would simply say, "I have given your offer a lot of thought and would like to take you up on it please."

You can have the neuter booked for the day of collection. Buy an ex pen so they have some space. I got a nice big one for £26.

Lani
30th September 2008, 12:51 AM
I would agree with Pauline. I am sure they don't offer their dog to just everyone, so they probably do remember you. I'd probably start with something like "I am not sure if you'll remember me or not, but we were talking about your dog Bubbles and I have not been able to stop thinking about him since the weekend. I wondered if your offer for me to adopt him was still open? If so, I'd like to take you up on it please"

I think that woudl work. ;)

Good Luck!!! I hope it turns out well. He sounds like a very sweet Cavalier, and let me just tell you that 2 beautiful male ruby Cavaliers sounds like heaven (though I may be a bit biased since I just got a 2nd ruby myself from rescue... :roll:)

Brian M
30th September 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi

Has anybody contacted CKCS North rescue about the little fella.

Ciren
30th September 2008, 09:13 AM
this might have alredy been mentioned, usually rescue dogs by agreement need to be returned to the shelter if they become unwanted?

Steffers
30th September 2008, 10:03 AM
Hi

Has anybody contacted CKCS North rescue about the little fella.

No i haven't contacted them, would that be a good thing to do??

Like i say, i am not an expert, just a cavalier-lover, and i value the wealth of experience on here very highly

Jan Bell
30th September 2008, 10:10 AM
Seems like a good idea to me. Hopefully they would have somebody more local who could check out the situation.

Steffers
30th September 2008, 10:11 AM
Oh and i have asked my friend who was with me on sat to discuss it with the vet she works with today and see what he says. He is a lovely man, and he and his wife live on a farm with a massive menagerie of animals as he will give a loving home to any unwanted creature that comes to his surgery!!

As an animal lover he will definately have an opinion and perhaps some way of helping

Louisma
30th September 2008, 12:59 PM
It is possible he isnt even there any more... have you checked?

Steffers
30th September 2008, 02:10 PM
It is possible he isnt even there any more... have you checked?

Yes it IS possible - i guess i am relying on the apathy of the folk that own him to ensure he is still there . . . But you are right, its been 3 days so a lot can happen

Mark
30th September 2008, 07:01 PM
I have two young entire males who are completely fine together, I would see how they get on before you have one neutered. I wouldn't go on that first meeting at all, walk them together and let them get to know one another first.