• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

pet transort

Love my Cavaliers

I have 4 cavaliers, ranging in age from 14 months to 7 years. We are considering spending the winter in Arizona but I will only go if we can bring all 4 dogs with us. Oliver (7+ years old) is too big to go in the plane cabin with us. He's a strapping 26 pounds - just big with long legs, not overweight. I was wondering if anyone in the states has had any experience with pet transportation companies that will drive your pets to a new destination. Or has anyone had experience with putting dogs in cargo on the plane. We can take 1 or 2 on the plane in the cabin with us, but I hate the thought of putting 2 of them in cargo. It's a more than 3 hour flight from Chicago to Arizona, plus they would be in cargo for longer than that. Do dogs do fine in cargo without being traumatized? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Interesting question...I'm wondering if you've totally ruled out driving out there. While it's a pain, I can't imagine bringing everything you need for 4 dogs and yourselves for all winter on a plane, and would think that you'd really want a car there. I had one of my dogs flown in cargo to me, it wasn't that bad, and a lot of breeders do it quite regularly, for shows or breeding. La Quinta motels are really good about accepting dogs overnight too.

I think it has to do with your dogs ability to cope. How well they do in their crate and how they respond to new environment.
3~4 hour is really not that bad. I'd fly them cargo if they are healthy . But of course, you know your dogs the best.

I'd drive and turn the trip into a road trip.

I have flown my dogs several times in cargo including transatlantic (where the dog definitely got top notch service, better than me!! :)). They do very well in cargo in my experience -- for some dogs it is likely far LESS stressful to go in cargo then be forced under a seat in a small bag in the cabin, especially if they have never been trained to sleep inside a bag.

I have flown with two but would think four would be a nightmare, especially managing them at the arrivals end. I would definitely drive if you are considering this -- less stressful to everyone, dog and human.

Back