PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Mitch
30th September 2008, 02:43 PM
Hi eveyone.
I have a six month old King Charles Cavalier called Benji. He is a dote and we are all getting on so well. He is with us since May. I have a few questions for anyone who can help me. Benji is on Royal Canin food which is suiting him really well but to give him a bit of variety I have started putting little bites of chicken or meat in his evening meal but now he is refusing to eat his food unless there is some extra "treat" in it. Should I stop giving him "human" food or not? Also I am finding it hard to keep his eyes and fur around his eyes clean, any tips?
Thanks,
Michele:dogwlk:

Brian M
30th September 2008, 03:12 PM
Hi

And welcome to you and Benji i am sure you will find this forum very informing and totally fascinating and addictive.

But please keep Benji on his R C not human food i have been down that very long road and as all our experts will advise put his food down and if not eaten pick it up after 10 Min's and let him wait till his next meal ,its not easy i am totally soft with my three buts thats the correct way .Try Burns as well thats a good alternative food . :thmbsup:

Mitch
30th September 2008, 04:56 PM
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the advice. I did think it's better to just keep him on his RC and he really is thriving on it. I have just heard so many mixed pieces of advice am never sure whats the best thing to do. I will stop giving him bits of human food and stick with his own stuff. Michele

Lani
30th September 2008, 05:36 PM
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the advice. I did think it's better to just keep him on his RC and he really is thriving on it. I have just heard so many mixed pieces of advice am never sure whats the best thing to do. I will stop giving him bits of human food and stick with his own stuff. Michele

I think it is great you want to make the food special for Benji. and you are definitely right ... you'll find very mixed schools of thought on the idea of adding additional "treats". Some people home cook for their dogs, and it works for them. It may be human food, but as long as it is food that is suitable (not toxic) for dogs, and you don't feed it for the table, frankly I see nothing wrong with adding those bits.

That said, I think it can contribute to a picky eater. I used to give Lucky canned food with his kibble and then he got fussy. Now he just gets kibble and he loves it.

Elaine 2
30th September 2008, 07:50 PM
icon_welcomeHi Michelle and welcome,
I always add things in with Cody's dinner and once a week l like to give her fish

Jan Bell
1st October 2008, 08:43 AM
Welcome to the forum Michelle.

I don't add anything to Toby and Rufus' food as it is a complete dry dog food and doesn't need anything else.

They are such scroungers that if they had the chance they would be eating all the time, but I try to resist giving them extras. Toby will just keep eating, but Rufus does get full and then doesn't want his dog food - but will always have room for something nice!

I do give them treats though, when we are doing training exercises - nothing amazing, just sit, down and stay and recalls. So I try to make them work for their extras! I also keep the best treats for when we are out on a walk, as Rufus is easily distracted and needs something really good to encourage his recall.

As Brian said, there is quite a long thread he started on feeding, so have a look at that.

Best wishes,

Shelli
1st October 2008, 10:48 AM
Hi & icon_welcome to you and Benji.

I dont add anything to Ollie's meals but I do give him some veggies as treats when we're doing training exercises.

Steffers
1st October 2008, 11:08 AM
icon_welcome:dgwlk:

I can't comment on feeding regimes as my dog is spoilt rotten and barely eats any dogfood. . . . my husband tends to cook for him :oicon_nwunsure

He only eats properly when we stay at my mothers and he copies her dog !!!

But a big welcome to the board!!