• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cat food question

jld

Ok, I am looking for cat experts here....I don't have a cat, so I am looking for some advice for my good friend who has two. She would like to know the names of some high quality cat food. I could recommend dog food, but don't have a clue about cat food. I told her there are many members on this board who also own cats and would have a recommendation. So, please cat lovers, can you give me some ideas? Thanks in advance. Judy and Dixie PS food that would be available in the states.

I feed my cat Eukanuba. They have just recently come out with a more wholesome variety with chicken. She has been on this food since a kitten, and she is now 7 years old with absolutely no health problems thus far. :xfngr: it continues for many years to come.

My cats had always eaten Science Diet, they lived to be 17 and 15 yrs old, with no major health issues until they died from Kidney failure and cancer. So I believe it was the best food for them. But my new kitty eats Blue Buffalo Holistic formula. She is very healthy and happy! This is available at most pet stores, I get mine @ Petsmart. It can be expensive, but its worth it to keep them healthy!

Cat Food

As "Cathy Moon" said, some of the premium dog food companies do cat food also and these are def the ones I would go for.

Royal Canin
Hills Feline
Nutro

Most good pet stores sell decent cat foods, it might feel a bit pricey (doesn't everthing!) but it can be bought in bulk and stores quite well.

For dry, I mostly feed mine Royal Canin Fit 32 but always feed some wet food for one meal daily -- it is not good to feed cats only dry food, as most do not get enough water in their diets and dry food diets on their own make them prone to potentially very serious urinary tract problems -- this is particularly true for males who should never only be fed dry food. They get crystals at a much higher rate than females and a urethral blockage from crystals for a male is an emergency.

I feed a plate of wet food which the cats share in the am, then they are allowed to free feed on dry during the day (cat food kept on a high shelf only the cats can reach otherwise the dogs would eat it). Lots of fresh water replenished daily -- cats do not like water that sits for a long time as the chemicals rise to the surface.

I feed my cat Eukanuba. They have just recently come out with a more wholesome variety with chicken. She has been on this food since a kitten, and she is now 7 years old with absolutely no health problems thus far. :xfngr: it continues for many years to come.

Did u know Eukanuba is tested on animals, was feeding my lot on this till last week untill i found out. Have now changed back to RC

I feed my cats Wellness. I've also used Felidae and Iams with them (they are 11 and 15 1/2). I personally avoid anything with corn/corn gluten meal, because that seemed to be the cause of many of the food issues in recalls. They really like the Wellness, and I like that it is made in the US (actually a few towns over, as it is made in MA!). And I do give them a bit of wet food everyday, too, but it is more of a supplemental "treat" in addition to the dry food!

Last edited:
Fromm and Orijen are excellent premium brand names that also sell cat food. I'd prefer my cats eat this food but they were already used to Science Diet Oral Care and simply won't give it up for anything. Science Diet doesn't have the best reputation however, I do feed my cats a premium canned food once a day in the morning so I'm okay with the SD oral care in the evenings.

I strongly encourage you to have your cats on SOME canned food and then an oral care dry food. I had two persians that I had on dry food for about 9 years and they were never as healthy or nice looking until I started giving them some canned food. They were always so skinny looking and the male did have urinary tract problems. The wet food they went crazy for and they bulked up ..their hair was much nicer. In fact, the difference was so striking, I felt terrible for keeping them on stricly dry food for most of their lives. Also, most vitamins and minerals are water soluble so to me it makes sense to give our animals some wet food. Of course, we should also be taking measures to ensure their dental health as well.

My cats are both eating Fromm Duck (dry - free feed) and in the morning and everning they are fed either Tiki Cat or Weruva wet food (http://www.weruva.com/) - Weruva is actually tested by people :lol: They both have premium ingredients, whole pieces of fish and veggies. My cats LOVE every variety of these 2 brands. I mix their supplements in with their wet food and usually add a bit of water.

Thanks so much..... I knew I could count on this board. I let my friend read the replies and she wrote down some recommendations. Thank you all for responding. Judy :)

my mom had a cat live to 22 on purina cat chow and just lost on that was 16 or 17 that ate the same. I just thought it was funny. I would say any brand that we recommend for our dogs would be good for cats.

Back