• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

kennel cough

rocky

vegas is 1 years old now and was wondering if he should get a vaccination for kennel cough i dont exactly now what it is but the vet has never mentioned it to me, it's just that i have noticed a few threads about it and would not like him to catch anything.

Kennel Cough

There are many different forms of kennel cough and the vax only covers a certain number of these. I have all my dogs done every year when they are getting their booster. I foster dogs that come directly from the pound and they have brought various forms into the house (and my own have picked it up) but as far as I am concerned any immunuty you can give a dog the better than not giving it. I know that on at least one (if not more) occasion my lot have avoided it because they are vaxed.

The vet didn't mention it because it is not a standard vax (like the 7 in 1) but if you ever want to put your dog into kennels you are required to have them vaxed for kennel cough. I reccomend getting it done, but that is simpley my opinion.

I fully agree with lorebringer :)

All mine are KC vacc'd every year. Mainly because we have alot of contact with other dogs/fosters and through our clubs etc.
Three out of my five have just had KC :( but there are mainy strains and obviously this time they didn't get their full protection (two did) BUT I'm sure through the course of the year with all the contact that we have had including other out breaks of KC they have been protected against other strains.
Any protection however small is better than nothing.

Kennel Cough is not nice for your dog or you.

Alison.

Just thought I should say, this vaccine doesn't last a year. Some vets will have different opinions, I've heard 6 or 10 months.

Kennel Cough

I heard this too (6 - 10 mth) - you can get ones that last this long but as far as I know my vet gives one to cover a year. Bit like to flu vax in people!

thanks for replies, i dont think vegas needs it just now but will keep in mind.

Back