PDA

View Full Version : Free To Good Home;Two Ladies

Brian M
9th October 2008, 12:49 PM
Hi

Just browsing and this came up ,see link

Tks

Brian

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1031566549/50e59496.html

rosiesmum
9th October 2008, 01:46 PM
Ooooh, I wish I still lived in Portsmouth :(

Alison_Leighfield
9th October 2008, 01:48 PM
Oh no, two un-spayed girls looking for homes, just hope they don't end up being bought and put in a Puppy Farm and used for breeding.

The very least they could do is put them into Cavalier Rescue, that way they would get spayed, health checked and placed into vetted/checked homes.

Think I will ring them.

Alison.

*Pauline*
9th October 2008, 02:00 PM
Let us know how the call went please Alison.:thmbsup:

Alison_Leighfield
9th October 2008, 02:36 PM
The add is a new add and my membership is a basic membership so it needs someone with Premium membership to access the advert to get the number or an e-mail ASAP. If anyone can do this and pass the number to me through a PM I will gladly make contact and offer to take the two into CKCS club rescue, as long as they are K.C registered with all vacc's up to date including Kennel Cough this isn't a problem. Good vetted homes are always waiting!

If they don't wish to hand them over they could gently be made aware of the situation that these two could possibly find themselves in if put in the wrong hands.

Alison.

Brian M
9th October 2008, 02:43 PM
Hi Alison

I will join and pay whats needed and will pm you the number ,best wishes i am sorry in one way i looked at the website there seems to be an awful lot of Cavs ,so sad.:(

Alison_Leighfield
9th October 2008, 02:51 PM
Thank you Brian,

it's heartbreaking some of the sites and the things that go on, I was on one U.K site the other day and there was an add for a K.C registered CKCS stud dog....20 months old, good at his job with over 15 litters behind him... no mention of any health checks etc...and all for £100 :( he wasn't the only one there, when does it ever end.

Alison.

rosiesmum
9th October 2008, 03:06 PM
it's heartbreaking some of the sites and the things that go on, I was on one U.K site the other day and there was an add for a K.C registered CKCS stud dog....20 months old, good at his job with over 15 litters behind him... no mention of any health checks etc...and all for £100 :( he wasn't the only one there, when does it ever end.

Alison.

I think I saw that same ad myself last week - I really was disgusted. And the sad thing is, there were loads more with very young 'proven' studs with no mention of health checks etc .... sickening.

Alison_Leighfield
9th October 2008, 04:35 PM
Rosiesmum,

When I see adds like these I always like to get in touch and ask about health checks and if they have any knowledge about Hearts and SM and health testing....9/10 don't so they get plenty of info sent....and direction to a few Cavalier lists to read more :)

These are the people that worry me. Many club breeders choose not to scan but are given the health information and what they then do with it comes down to themselves and their own conscience but what about these folk that continue to breed in all ignorance...the non club members, the pet owners etc that simply don't receive the information...how on earth do we educate all of them?

Between these people and the Puppy Farms I'm sure they sell more Cavaliers to pet owners than just CKCS club members alone...and the damage then just continues litter after litter....:(

Alison.

misty
10th October 2008, 11:54 AM
The Spaniel Trust are working on this case and already have a home-vetted family ready for the 2 girls :).

Brian M
10th October 2008, 01:16 PM
Hi

And Hurray i must have sent 20 emails and no reply ,also noticed though another Cav looking for a home due to the family emigrating have also emailed this as well but also no reply and this is on the same website.

misty
10th October 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Brian

We've also e-mailed the people with the black & tan :).

We have a waiting list of people for Cavaliers at the moment - although of course we only ever place a dog into the perfect home.

Karlin
10th October 2008, 01:57 PM
Go Spaniel Trust!!

K.

Alison_Leighfield
10th October 2008, 02:46 PM
Excellent news Fran, we have alot to pick up at the moment down here as well, what's the matter with some people. Some of the excuses to re-home are just beyond me.

Alison.

rosiesmum
10th October 2008, 04:12 PM
That's great to hear :rah:

Aileen
11th October 2008, 12:04 AM
if I was emigrating my dogs would go with me my son and family did go to San DIengo? USA not only did the dog go so did the hamster
--Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Fifer
11th October 2008, 10:06 AM
if I was emigrating my dogs would go with me my son and family did go to San DIengo? USA not only did the dog go so did the hamster
--Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

So would I Aileen! :flwr:

On a more serious note the owner of the two girls has now moved the goal posts.

The girls are not to be homed outwith a reasonable area as the owners wish to keep contact, to ensure the dogs are in a safe environment and the new owner is responsible and complies with the agreement!!!! That will be why Primmy and Missy have not yet been spayed at 7 & 8 years old - will it?

I know of no reputable rescue who will allow the previous owner direct contact with the dogs they have surrendered or their new owner. Talk about having your cake and eating it!!

The home we had checked was an excellent one, an older chap in sheltered complex who had actually enquired from the LA if it was ok for him to have 2 dogs! It was he who spotted and alerted us to the fact that the present owners were placing new ads all over the internet. I believe they think they will place these two older girls together in one home and within a relatively small area easily; I feel they are in for a shock! Puppy farms and dealers have a "normal" face they can present to the unwary .

The only place these two unspayed older girls are likely to end up is somewhere we on this forum fear .......... :( :(

Aileen
11th October 2008, 11:45 AM
So would I Aileen! :flwr:

On a more serious note the owner of the two girls has now moved the goal posts.

The girls are not to be homed outwith a reasonable area as the owners wish to keep contact, to ensure the dogs are in a safe environment and the new owner is responsible and complies with the agreement!!!! That will be why Primmy and Missy have not yet been spayed at 7 & 8 years old - will it?

I know of no reputable rescue who will allow the previous owner direct contact with the dogs they have surrendered or their new owner. Talk about having your cake and eating it!!

The home we had checked was an excellent one, an older chap in sheltered complex who had actually enquired from the LA if it was ok for him to have 2 dogs! It was he who spotted and alerted us to the fact that the present owners were placing new ads all over the internet. I believe they think they will place these two older girls together in one home and within a relatively small area easily; I feel they are in for a shock! Puppy farms and dealers have a "normal" face they can present to the unwary .

The only place these two unspayed older girls are likely to end up is somewhere we on this forum fear .......... :( :(
I hope not were are they?
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Fifer
11th October 2008, 12:15 PM
They are in Portsmouth if anyone in that area can step in - Great!

misty
12th October 2008, 11:19 AM
* bump *

Does anyone have any Southern Cavalier Rescue contacts at all, before I e-mail the owner back tomorrow morning?

I'm temporarily offline at home, so will check again tomorrow from work.

The Spaniel Trust wouldn't wish to place these dogs directly into a new home so far away, without first assessing them for health and temperament, which is why we're asking if Cav Rescue could help them.

Many thanks
Fran, The Spaniel Trust

emsley
12th October 2008, 01:18 PM
notice that the two 'free' girls in portsmouth are a new advert this morning on Freeads

sigh

Barbara
12th October 2008, 05:47 PM
You would probably be best contacting the West of England Club as this is their area. Contact is Miss Gillian Greenall tel 01548 580369. No email

The Southern Club is Jay Forsythe Tel 01798 812254 email jay.forsythe@virgin.net

ps Hi all, haven't posted for a long time but still here listening !!!!

Best Barbara

Karlin
12th October 2008, 05:50 PM
Club rescue almost certainly will require the dogs be signed over though too. The issue is really that the people want to retain contact with the dogs. Maybe breed rescue will have some ideas though.

Alison_Leighfield
12th October 2008, 08:31 PM
The club will require all vacs, frontlined, wormed, to be up to date before collecting along with Kennel cough, I mentioned this earlier.
The South region rescue has it's dogs stay mainly at Gillians for their spay etc at her vets. Gillian has her own boarding kennels, it is for that reason that the dogs will need these items/ vacs to be completed, they will also need to be fully signed over. I have spoken with Gillian this evening and clarified all this.
I have spoken with the owner and he is not interested in the CKCS rescue taking them, he was more than rude and hung up on the phone, he refused to take other calls and answer e-mails. I guess he knows best :(

Alison.

Karlin
12th October 2008, 08:46 PM
What a weirdo. He'll have a hard time placing dogs where people will want the former owners visiting all the time, especially when these are older dogs and it would be an act of generosity for anyone to take them, especially as the new owner clearly will need to get them looked after medically, spayed etc. :bang:

I rehomed a rescue dog whose owner tried to rehome under the same stipulations (though at least she was spayed) -- a younger dog than this! -- and after months of no success as no one wanted the owner stopping by every month, she finally signed her over to me in rescue.

Cathy T
13th October 2008, 01:48 AM

icon_blshing I have done this on a couple of occasions.

Jay
13th October 2008, 06:59 AM
Although, it is really not the same.....but in some cases, you may need to think of it as the same as getting a dog from a breeder....some breeders (the good ones, at least) want to keep in contact with the new owners. I know that if something horribly drastic happened in my life and there was no other choice but giving up my dogs, I would want to know who they went to and would like to know that things were going well for them. I don't think I could stand not knowing if they were ok.
J.

diddy
13th October 2008, 11:41 AM
notice that the two 'free' girls in portsmouth are a new advert this morning on Freeads

Not sure whats going on here. Yesterday pm the so called owner said "we are sick of rescue,breed clubs, etc contacting us, and we've decided they are not going anywhere now".

I would have thought that was exactly the best place for these girls to go, so why they advertising on the free ads??

p.s. I have a relative who got 5 dogs in 7 months from that site. All were bought as pups, all sold on within a few months.:-

First was Border Collie - at 5 months it "jumped up too much"

Next came 2 litter sister Veimariners, a 'buy one, get one free'. They apparently argued, so one sold off in a few weeks, the other soon followed as it "messed in the kitchen".

They were followed by a Japanese Akita who lasted 2 months "Shed too much fur all over the kitchen".

After much naggiing she bought a properly health tested pedigree Standard Poodle from a reputable breeder in July which is still there ....as she's hoping to recoup the cost later by breeding her and selling the pups.!!

Shes just acquired a Border Collie for use in Obedience.

Sadly the mentality of some people leaves a lot to be desired.

Karlin
13th October 2008, 12:18 PM
I understand the sentiment, but the problem with maintaining contact even in what seems the nicest circumstances is it can introduce serious, costly, long running legal problems and the rescue can end up right in the middle of them. Simply signing a contract does not necessarily prevent the rescue from ending up in court, at its expense, and what might start by sounding like a nice idea can become a catastrophe on one side or the other if the surrendering family decides they really want their dogs back, and begin to pester the adopting family; or if the adopting family decides they want the surrendering family to cover health costs down the line etc.

Most contracts for surrender or adoption are not done by a legal expert )rescues just make them up) and there is simply no guarantee they would stand up in court -- and they also do not prevent taking the issue to court or someone who seems very nice from doing unexpected things to get their dog back. I know there is little ability to enforce my own homing contracts for example but I still do give them out. For example it is very hard to actually go reclaim a dog because you think the home improper after the fact -- though you can make life difficult for the adopting family and can report abuse etc.

If people want help from rescue to home their dog -- which will usually involve expense on rescue's end, not theirs! -- the deal is they sign over the dog. I will of course go back and let people know generally the kind of home the dog went to and will happily pass along a letter and update. But I no longer allow people direct contact on either side. At one time I wouldn't have considered this an issue but having heard some horrific stories and also seen some problems arise, thankfully not all the way to court -- and having taken good legal advice -- there's no way I will let adopting families ever have contact with surrendering families.

misty
13th October 2008, 01:44 PM
You have to be so careful these days. :(

I don't know what will happen to these lovely ladies, but everyone tried their best. Cavalier Talk working as a team as usual!

Brian M
13th October 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi

What a shame for the two it ended up this way ,poor girls I do so hope they have a good life wherever they end up:(

Jay
14th October 2008, 03:03 AM
But I no longer allow people direct contact on either side. At one time I wouldn't have considered this an issue but having heard some horrific stories and also seen some problems arise, thankfully not all the way to court -- and having taken good legal advice -- there's no way I will let adopting families ever have contact with surrendering families.

I TOTALLY agree and understand where you are coming from. I have two rescues and I really wouldn't want to have to deal with the woman that they were confiscated from. But it would totally break my heart to give up my dogs and not know what happens to them. I pray that this will never happen to me! I will have to be homeless and totally broke (or dead) before giving up my pups.

I hope these little ladies find a wonderful home soon.

J.