• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

abcess

rocky

my poor baby has a abcess at the side of his anal gland again any ideas what causes this and the best way to treat

Abcess

That thing needs to be drained! A vet will do it for you and then, because it is an infection site, should put the dog on some antibiotics. It will probably clear up with no major problems.

I had a nursing bitch who got an abcess on her breast, very painful for the poor thing. Putting a hot (but not so hot that you can't touch it) flannel or towel up to it, this can help with the disconfort and also aid the draining of it. If it pops on its own this is a great method to help getting all the goo out of it, pushing gently on it with the towel over it. I would head to the vet though, jsut to make sure everything goes ok.

Pippin had one of these before and because he didn't complain I didn't realise and it burst, very messy and sore. Best to pay a visit to the vet, it probably needs draining and antibiotics.

he had one a few months ago and it burst but unfortunately it healed over but must have still had a bit of infection it it went to vet and she gave him an pain killer injection and antibiotics which it has healed fine but this is one on his other side which has now burst i am puting antiseptic spray on it and hopefully he'll be fine he certainly seems to be a lot better but will keep a close eye on it and will deffo take him to the vet if it doesnt heel.

Maybe call the vet just to check if you need to go in. As I said Pippins had burst but I still needed to take him in for antibiotic treatment and it needed to be bathed everyday for a week with a solution of salt water.

An abscessed anal gland is quite serious, painful and should be treated by a vet.

Some cavaliers need to have their anal glands emptied by the vet regularly, and should be watched closely for symptoms in order to prevent abscesses from forming. Getting to the vet in time after seeing your dog scoot will prevent future abscesses.

I regularly check my dogs by feeling around that area - if they try to 'protect' that area from me, that usually means they need a trip to the vet, unless it turns out to be a little matted hair on the back of their legs which is painful as well.

Last edited:
You MUST see a vet.

The fact that this is recurring is a serious problem and you need to talk to a vet. It also is extremely painful and you should not rely only on a spray to help -- he needs painkillers and antibiotics or he could have serious additional problems.

Believe me this is not something to ignore -- my Leo who has syringomyelia was in MORE obvious pain from an anal gland abcess and rupture than he ever has been from his SM!

Recurring anal gland problems can be a sign of a tumour, according to my vet -- they may want to do a blood test to check for this -- and the recurrence alone indicates he has problems with this now and needs to be properly cared for. Please, PLEASE get your dog in for proper veterinary care.

It is cruel to ignore this and hope it will heal at home. :(

i have an appointment this afternoon, thanx for advive did'nt realise it could be so serious

Back