• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toy's, she still won't play

Ciren

apart from her kong or treat ball she still turns away from any toy. if i wave something at her she just moves her face away.

earlier i got her chasing kibble down the garden path which was nice. thing is i would LOVE to play fetch or catch or something with her. it was something i looked forward to doing.

is there any toys food related we could play together? i had thought about soaking her chew rope in water which has some of her chappie in? i did worry that she might get the rope and get it stuck.

any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Hi Amy

I wouldn't worry too much that she doesn't play with toys. Rosie, who is nearly 4, looks at me in disgust if I even try to tempt her with a toy!!! However, once every few months, she will let me throw her rawhide chew around the garden, which she will chase and return to me. But this will usually only last a few minutes until she gets bored!

Some dogs just aren't natural players.

I know it is frustrating because you only want what's best for her, but if she is happy in all other respects, don't worry. She may eventually come round like Rosie has and will occasionally let you play with her :xfngr:

okay she will chase it and a few times i got her to come to me then i gave her a kibble. what she was actually trying to do was take it in the house to eat. i am pleased she let me take it back without growling or anything. maybe if i keep persisting with it she will learn what i want.

Well done Amy!

Rosie tries to get past me into the house as well, but I've learnt to shut the door so she can't get in! Even when she did get in, she would run into the hallway and hide the chew under her feet so I couldn't get it off her!

i can't wait to show hubby :D

on the same subject if anyone can think of any other games we could play together please say.

When Hali was a small pup we say on the floor, my husband and I and threw a ball between us.... she loved that game. She too doesn't play so much, much more of a cuddler but has her times when she wants to play which is really a short period of time considering there is 24 hours in the day.

Maybe there's a play/cuddle divide?

Amber is a player. She adores playing and can fetch and seek impeccably. My uncle's wife commented last week that she could be a good little gun dog. She's not so fond of cuddling - or rather, she likes cuddles, but only when she feels like it.

Holly on the other hand will play if you make the effort, but she will rarely initiate play. She lives to cuddle and just wants to be held!

Anyone have a dog who both loves to play AND is a dedicated cuddler?

Sounds like J! He is a cuddler in the morning and would happily sit with me all day if i didn't move but as soon as he has had his tea time meal he will go to his toy bed and get out his squeaky bone or yellow ball to play chase for a while before settling back down for cuddles. He never does this after his morning meal. My doggie is such a creature of habit bless him

That would be my Mika. She loves fetch and will play for hours. She brings her toys and drops them on my lap or foot when she wants to play. If I don't respond, she just keeps repeatedly picking it up and dropping it on me until I play.

Whenever she isn't playing, she wants to be on my lap or at least lying so she is touching me.

She loves both.

Some dogs simply don't care to play with toys -- mine don't care much for them so I don't buy them any more. They like chews and kongs and all will play fetch to some degree. Fetch is generally something you, the owner, have to teach. I'd really recommend doing an obedience class so you get a more structured relationship perhaps and can build on that to train her to do some things like play fetch? (y) But keep in mind she may just have no interest in such things and pushing her to do them probably won't get anywhere. Our pyrenees had no interest in toys or balls or anything like that. Jaspar is obsessed with balls but could care less about toys unless it is to catch or fetch them. They are all different just like people.

Back