PDA

View Full Version : Broken pelvis and hip...

Andy's mum
12th October 2008, 12:23 AM
Hi, I have some bad news.. Three days ago Andy got hit by car, he had really bad cut above his eye, it's already fixed, bud the main problem is that he has got broken pelvis in three places, and broken hip... On x-rays it looks very bad, there is about 5 cm movement from where the bone and hip should be, so it seems Andy will need a surgery to put it back in place with some plates or wires. He will never be the same, but as far he is happy and isn't in pain, I don't mind, if he's limping or can't run marathon... But there is another worry, and it's actually the reason why the vet is waiting with the surgery. They don't know yet if Andy can control his bladder. He can urinate, but they not sure if it's controled or "leak". And he still didn't do poo, it's big problem too. If he can't control his bladder, it means that the nerves are damaged and there is no hope:( I think it must be hurting him, because of the broken bones and he's just keeping it in, at least that's what I hope... Any of you had similar experience? Anything I should know? I'm really worried about my baby...

sins
12th October 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm so sorry, I'm shocked to hear this. I really hope he's ok, it must be so difficult for you.
My only experience was with a labrador many years ago who had pins and plates put in his shoulder and femur. He made a good recovery and survived until the ripe old age of 12.
Is he at the vets or at home with you?
Sins

Elaine 2
12th October 2008, 12:38 AM
Just to let you know.... you and Andy are in my thoughts and I'm praying he makes a full recovery :xfngr: poor little lad

brotymo
12th October 2008, 02:07 AM
I have no experience or knowledge to share, but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. This must be very hard for you. My advice would be to get more than one opinion before you make any large decision about whether or not he is going to be unable to have bladder or bowel control.

Cathy T
12th October 2008, 02:30 AM
Oh that's terrible!! I'm so sorry. I do know of someone who's Cavalier was hit by a car and in very very bad condition.....she was able to completely recover (although a long and difficult recovery) and she is still with us today. I'm hoping and praying Andy is going to be okay. I can only imagine how worried you are. Please know I'm out here praying for Andy.

pippa
12th October 2008, 08:24 AM
So shocked and sad to hear about poor Andy:(

You must be so upset and worried,sorry I have no advice to give or experience of this.

Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and Andy and wish him a full recovery:xfngr:

*Pauline*
12th October 2008, 08:28 AM
I'm so sorry. I hope you know more soon and he can have his operation. Will be thinking of you both.:hug:

Shelli
12th October 2008, 10:45 AM
So sorry to hear about Andy. I have no advice to offer but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you at this difficult time and praying that Andy will make a full recovery :xfngr:

inca
12th October 2008, 10:45 AM
am so sorry to hear the sad news i hope Andy makes a full recovery sending healing vibes your way xx

binnie
12th October 2008, 11:10 AM
Thinking of you & Andy http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/love/love0028.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php) and wishing him a full & speedy recovery :xfngr:

Andy's mum
12th October 2008, 11:31 AM
Andy is staying in hospital, he needs to stay calm and not moving and it's really difficult to do it at home, because he just wants to be held and walk and run... We bought him a cage, just for nights and time we won't be at home. The vet called this morning, there is no change, but he seems to be in good mood and had some ham and cheese for breakfast. But still no poo:( The decision about the surgery will be made tomorrow morning by the surgeon. I had recommendation for this guy from three vets, he's the best around, 80 km from where we live, so it's long drive to see Andy. But only the best for him... Thank you all for your support, it means a lot!

ice-cavi
12th October 2008, 12:56 PM
Ohh,I only just saw this thread..I´m so sorry to hear about Andy.:(
My best wishes for you & Andy.:flwr::hug:

murphy's mum
12th October 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Andy.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you:flwr:

ourempire
12th October 2008, 01:37 PM
So sorry to hear that. I hope that Andy will be cured. :hug:

arasara
12th October 2008, 02:50 PM
I am SOO sorry to hear about Andy :hug::hug:

I hope he will make a full recovery and his bowels and bladder will be working well soon.

I haven't had any kind of experience with this, so I can't offer advice, but I do wish you well :flwr: :hug:

Please keep us updated@!

Aileen
12th October 2008, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry :hug::hug:hope you have some good news soon
---Aileen and the gang (Batney---Jazzie---Jake)

Rj Mac
12th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Just wanted to let you know, we are thinking of you :flwr:

Dublin
13th October 2008, 08:48 AM
Thinking of you today - hope the outcome is good with the vet today.

Big hugs to you & gentle hugs for Andy :hug::hug::hug:

Shelli
13th October 2008, 08:51 AM
Hope all goes well today :xfngr::flwr::flwr:

diddy
13th October 2008, 09:57 AM
Thinking of you and poor Andy today. Hoping that the consultation later today will bring better news for you both.

pippa
13th October 2008, 11:10 AM
Hope you get some good news for Andy today.

Alison_Leighfield
13th October 2008, 11:23 AM
Thinking about you both x

Alison.

Sandrac
13th October 2008, 02:11 PM
So sorry to hear about poor Andy's accident. Thinking about you both:flwr:

shippers
13th October 2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear about Andy's terrible accident. Hope you get some good news soon. I'm definitely no expert but I could imagine it to be painful for him to poo or cock his leg with a fractured pelvis. They seem to tilt their pelvis when pooing which is probably painful for him at the moment. Not that he has lost control - just too sore. Wishing Andy the best of luck with his recovery :hug:

Jasperxxgabby
13th October 2008, 04:08 PM
Thinking of you and Andy, poor little fella.
Sending Andy:luv: and wishing him a very speedy recovery after this awful accident:flwr::flwr::flwr:.

Andy's mum
13th October 2008, 08:57 PM
So, Andy had his surgery today. The big news started to come in the morning, vet called, said that Andy made a poo (huray!!!) and the nerves controling the bladder functions seem to be alright, but there is still possibility of damage of the nerves in leg, which would efect the movement. The surgery was scheduled for afternoon, so I was really nervous all day, keeping my fingers crosed even though I was working... It was finish around 5, the vet was happy with the way it went, they didn't find any more problems, just the pelvis and hip, so they've put in some plates and it should keep the bone together. I'm so hoping there will be no more complication, like rejection or infection... And the best news is that if everything will be alright, we can take Andy home on wednesday!!! I can't wait to have him here...
This is picture of Andy after the accident...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07603.jpg

And this is from saturday, when we went for visit. There is a ham in front of him:)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC00143.jpg

Andy's mum
13th October 2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry for the huge pictures, but photobucket somehow dosn't work...

Aileen
13th October 2008, 09:08 PM
At least he got though the op
poor little boy in the photos hope he is home on wednesday
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

sins
13th October 2008, 09:14 PM
This is fabulous news, I've been watching the site all day for news!!
If I recall when our Bruce was run over he was doing well after 8 weeks and almost 100% recovered shortly after that.He did need physio for a short while though.(That was almost 30 years ago:eek:)With modern surgical techniques I'm sure Andy will do just fine.
You must be so relieved after such a prolonged ordeal.
Sins

Karlin
13th October 2008, 09:19 PM
That's great news; glad he is out and OK. :flwr:

Jpup
13th October 2008, 09:26 PM
Glad to hear Andy is doing well after surgery. :xfngr: that he continues to improve. Bless him he looks so terrible in the photos and so sorry for himself. J sends lots of get well soon kisses and licks xxx

*Pauline*
13th October 2008, 09:38 PM
Poor little fella, he looks so tiny and cute. You must be so worried. My dad was in a very bad car crash once, he had to be cut out of the car. He has pins and springs in his knee and all sorts, he broke bones from his jaw to his feet. He limps a little but has no pain at all. I also had a cat who was shot or bitten by a fox in the leg (the vet couldn't work out what one hold in the leg could be). He had a pin in his leg and was fine. Animals recover better I think because they are not frightened to put pressure on the leg and they build up the muscle soon. Just keep an eye on infection. Hot patches, swelling, weeping, keep an eye out for these.

Cathy T
13th October 2008, 09:39 PM
What excellent news!!! We always get happy about a good poop around here :D I'm so glad he's doing so well. Bet you can't wait to get him home. Give him a little hug for me....little trooper.

frecklesmom
13th October 2008, 10:03 PM
I dreaded opening this and then it was such good news for you. Keeping:xfngr: that the worst is over.

Elaine 2
13th October 2008, 10:22 PM
Pleased to hear he's through his surgery and you might get him home soon, we'll keep the good vibes coming his way for a full recovery :xfngr:

Jasperxxgabby
13th October 2008, 10:40 PM
Brilliant news to hear Andy has pooped, and his waterworks are working:rah: you must be so relieved. Sending you and Andy :luv::flwr::flwr:. I hope he does come home Wednesday :xfngr:.

Shelli
13th October 2008, 10:43 PM
Brilliant news, you must be so relieved :flwr:
:xfngr: he makes a full recovery and is home with you very soon.

pippa
13th October 2008, 10:50 PM
I was so worried opening this thread but eager to see how Andy was doing...so glad the news is good. Give Andy a gentle hug from me and I really hope he recovers with no further problems.

Cathy Moon
14th October 2008, 02:33 AM
We're sending all of our positive healing thoughts to Andy. I'm glad to hear his surgery went well and he had a poop. I can't wait to hear how he's doing tomorrow! :flwr::flwr::flwr:

brotymo
14th October 2008, 03:17 AM
Great news! Poor little fella. That first photo, you can see the pain and fear in his eyes. He actually looks better in the second one, at least psychologically!

mellie
14th October 2008, 05:43 AM
I am so glad to hear that Andy is doing ok. I will keep him in my prayers for full recovery. He is precious. I know you are anxious to get him home to give him lots of love and kisses! :xfngr:

ourempire
14th October 2008, 08:01 AM
Really good news. It is such a relief to hear, and keep my fingers crossed for a quick and good recovery.

Dublin
14th October 2008, 09:41 AM
So pleased you have good news - you must be very relieved. I hope all goes well & Andy can come home to you tomorrow xxxxxx

Louise1823
14th October 2008, 09:45 AM
So sorry to hear about Andy's accident. He has such a beautiful little face :lotsaluv: I have my fingers crossed that he will make a full recovery and that you will get some more good news from the vets and be able to take him home tomorrow.
Big :hug: from us all :flwr:

Thelly
14th October 2008, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear Andy is doing well. Poor fella. They really are little soliders when things happen. Bailey broke his leg and pelvis last year and had an external fixation device fitted but recoverd in no time - and he's 7! Physio really really helped him too.

Big hugs for him as he recovers :flwr:

diddy
14th October 2008, 11:08 AM
Really pleased to see hes recovering nicely. Please post as soon as you get him back home.

Sandrac
14th October 2008, 11:21 AM
Was so pleased to see that Andy has come through his surgery and that he has started the road to recovery. Sending him lots of get well wishes :flwr::flwr::flwr:

amanda L
14th October 2008, 12:35 PM
So glad to hear little Andy is doing better, sending gentle cuddles to Andy from all of us:hug:

Claire L
14th October 2008, 01:18 PM
Although I haven't posted (been up to my eyes) I've been praying for Andy and thank God he's come through the surgery. I can only imagine all the worry and stress you're going through right now - I'd be in bits!
I hope he comes home to you on Wednesday; I'm sure he will recover quicker when he is surrounded by his family :hug::hug:

Sue.k
14th October 2008, 01:26 PM
Just read this thread now, I am so glad Andy is going to be ok xx

merlinsmum
14th October 2008, 01:31 PM
Great news! Glad Andy is feeling better.

Sending big & gentle hugs across the irish sea:paw:

Dublin
15th October 2008, 12:03 PM
Did Andy come home yet?:flwr:

Paddy n Tobys Mum
15th October 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm new here. Hope he is home today!!:lotsaluv:

Poor little baby.

LovesCavaliers
15th October 2008, 01:23 PM
So glad to hear that Andy is recovering. :) What a fighter!

This has been very traumatic for you all and you're in my prayers.

Take good care of each other.

Mary

Sydney
15th October 2008, 01:50 PM
We just saw your posting and we are so sorry to hear about Andy's accident. All three of us are so very happy that the surgery turned out okay and Andy is now on the road to recovery. Give him a big hug for the three of us to help speed his recovery. And give yourself a big hug from the three of us for the love and compassion you've shown Andy. Hopefully it will provide a little comfort and know that you and Andy are in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Ruby and Sydney and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

qwickkertje
15th October 2008, 02:26 PM
I just saw this post and I'm crossing my fingers that you can take your little boy home today!!!

I really hope he's doing good. I can imagine what a wreck you have been.. I know how I was when Qwick needed his surgery...

Andy's mum
15th October 2008, 06:02 PM
Andy is home!! I'm so happy and relieved, that the surgery went well and he could come home with us... The scar looks really scary, it's big, he can't move too much, but he's trying to stand up and even though it hurts him, he's brave and cries only a little... For some reason he seems smaller and his eyes are huge, but you should see him right now - he is playing with Roman, barking and growling:p His nose is warm and his leg as well, but he is on antibiotics, so it should be fine. And he is really happy to be home! I'll post some pictures later, today is his day... Thank you all so much for your support!!!:)

hbmama
15th October 2008, 07:39 PM
Just catching up on this thread. What a horrific experience for all of you! So glad your little one came through like a champ and is on the mend. That is fantastic news!

Dublin
15th October 2008, 07:55 PM
sooooooo glad andy is home, he'll recover well being arround those that love him to bits.

Get well soon andy
:flwr::flwr::flwr::flwr::flwr::flwr:

shippers
15th October 2008, 08:19 PM
Glad Andy is home and the op was a success. Take good care of him and spoil him rotten - I think he deserves it. Looking forward to hearing more about Andy's recovery.

Chelle & Rex
15th October 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm only catching up on this now. Poor Andy. I'm so glad he is home and on the road to recovery, what a relief. He's got such a cute little face :luv:
:hug: from me and Rexy

Shelli
15th October 2008, 11:33 PM
So glad to hear Andy is home. :xfngr: for a speedy recovery.

pippa
16th October 2008, 12:40 AM
So glad to hear Andy is home with you.

Cathy T
16th October 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm sooo glad your little man is home with you!!

Laura&Lia
16th October 2008, 01:42 PM
I just read the whole thread, and I'm very glad that Andy is home with you with the best outcome possible.
My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

cosmic81
17th October 2008, 07:06 AM
poor baby!
I am so glad that he is home with you.
he must be so happy to be with his Mommy.
I look forward to witness Andy to his recovery!

Andy's mum
17th October 2008, 11:31 AM
So, Andy is home for two days now,he is doing quite well, and I must say that I am really proud of him! He is such a brave boy,you can see it's hurting him, but he's happy anyway and enjoying to be home. He's standing up and did few steps already:) He dosn't eat very much, but he was always picky eater, so I hope it's just that. And he still didn't do the poo at home, but the vet thinks it's alright, that we should give him more time. The scar seems to be healing nicely, he dosn't have a feever, only thing that wories me now is the bladder, I'm not entirely sure if he really controls it, because he pees when he's asleep... And he's really ashamed afterwards... But he's home with his mum and that's the main thing;) The pictures next time, I promise!

BostonGirl
17th October 2008, 04:56 PM
I can't believe I am just seeing this thread now. Poor little Andy - my heart was breaking and I was tearing up reading this thread - my biggest fear is something like that happening to Bella. I am SOO glad to hear Andy is doing better - he is such a sweet looking little guy. Keep us posted with some happy pics of him to cheer us up!

Jasperxxgabby
17th October 2008, 10:23 PM
Ahh, poor little fella, he's been through a lot and it sounds like he is being so brave, it must be a relief to have him home again. Wishing Andy a very speedy recovery, I hope you see improvements in him each day. :flwr::flwr:

vikki
18th October 2008, 12:41 AM
hugs and well wishes

Andy's mum
18th October 2008, 02:46 PM
Andy is sleeping on my belly now so I have some time to write:) He's trying very hard to stand up and walk, but I'm trying to keep him calm. But because he needs some entertaiment, we watched telly today, there were some horses and I couldn't stop him growling and barking for 10 minutes:p I was working all day yesterday and Roman was looking after Andy and my boy didn't sleep for one minute, but the moment he put his head on my lap when I came home he fell asleep... And he is snoring REALLY loudly now:p Still no poo, but I've seen him pushing hard, so I hope, it will come soon...
Here are some pictures...
Feeling VERY SORY for himself... You can see how big the scar is...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07438-1.jpg

And this is today, he feels and looks better...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07439.jpg

Thanks again to all of you...

LovesCavaliers
18th October 2008, 03:32 PM
God Bless You Andy. What a brave boy you have been.

Get well soon.

Hugs & Cuddles sent
Mary xx

sins
18th October 2008, 05:01 PM
Oh Gosh, the poor boy really looks like he's been in the wars!
When do you go back for checkups and getting stitches out?
Sins

Cathy T
18th October 2008, 05:42 PM
Oh sweet boy!! I'm so glad he's able to relax and snooze when his momma is home with him. And praying he has a complete recovery.

Cathy Moon
18th October 2008, 06:17 PM
He looks so sweet in his photos! :lotsaluv:
Did the vet mention giving him a fish oil caplet daily to help soften his poo? Also drinking water, and some canned food mixed in with dry should help.

Elaine 2
18th October 2008, 08:03 PM
Sending gentle hugs for Andy brave little lad, I'm so pleased he's on the mend

ttsabin
18th October 2008, 09:48 PM
poor little lad get well soon

diddy
18th October 2008, 10:47 PM
Dear little Andy, he does look as though he's starting to feel better now doesn't he? Glad he is on the mend now.Those cuddles from mum will help of course :).

cb2u
18th October 2008, 11:59 PM
Just saw the thread and I'm so glad to hear Andy is on the road to recovery. He is the sweetest looking boy! I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. This must be so hard on you; I can't even imagine.

*Pauline*
19th October 2008, 12:45 AM
Oh my, poor fella. he is very sweet looking. I imagine I know just how you feel when you come to cuddle him, it's hard to know where isn't sore. Bless him. he's a brave little thing. :hug: :hug:

brotymo
19th October 2008, 01:54 AM
poor baby. I know, as bad as this is, that you are thankful to be able to post about this at all. Getting hit by a car is not something small dogs walk away from too often.
I hope he is himself again, soon!

Jan Bell
19th October 2008, 09:09 AM
Glad Andy is feeling better and up to barking at those horses. Must be a good sign!

Andy's mum
19th October 2008, 11:45 AM
Andy had his best day after the accident yesterday!!! It was quite nice weather, so I took him out to the garden to enjoy the sun and the moment I wasn't looking he did his first poo since monday! He really was just too shy to do it in front of us:) But I was still worried, because he didn't pee the night before and the whole day, so I wasn't sure if there isn't some blockage. It all changed before he went to sleep yesterday, I took him out and he did his thing there. So it's the same story, he just didn't want to do it inside and when we were looking. I think he is most ashamed of doing it the baby way and not like big boy like he was used to:p And he is much more playful, he dosn't want to rest and he's trying to walk (he looks like he's REALLY drunk:D) and what is the best thing, he is using the broken leg as support, not just hop on three.... So everything is good here, I hope it will stay this way. The stitches are coming out on thursday, I'm taking him to our vet on monday just to show him, because he really helped me when it happened (did I tell you, that he drove 50 km at midnight so he could help him?) and the big check-up in clinic is the following week on wednesday... Have a nice sunday, everybody!!!

*Pauline*
19th October 2008, 01:05 PM
Very happy to hear this. What a great vet.:D

Cathy Moon
19th October 2008, 01:22 PM
Wonderful news! So many good signs show how well he's healing. Keep it up Andy! :flwr::flwr::flwr:

sins
19th October 2008, 01:41 PM
That really is good progress and looks very much like he'll make a great
recovery.Who did his surgery? Thank goodness for some excellent vets.
Sins

Andy's mum
19th October 2008, 02:37 PM
That really is good progress and looks very much like he'll make a great
recovery.Who did his surgery? Thank goodness for some excellent vets.
Sins
It was Tom Brosnan from Ark Veterinary Clinic in Killarney. He was recommended to me by three vets independently and I think he did very good job:)

Cathy T
19th October 2008, 04:26 PM
It was so good to hear that Andy is recovering so well!!

Andy's mum
23rd October 2008, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, Andy has got the stitches out today and it looks that he won't even have scar on his head, the vet did great job! Once the hair will grow back, nobody would ever say that he had hole in his head;) It's different story with his leg, the scar is big, but dosn't look that scary without the stitches. It's healing nicely, it's still little bit raw at one place, but vet said it's fine. Andy didn't have very good day yesterday, was crying a lot, it still hurts him very much, but if there are no complications, he'll be fine soon:) He dosn't eat much, just small bit of dry food, but would eat all the treets we have in house if I'd let him.. Pee and poo is alright:-p So next is check on clinic next wednesday and then we will know more... And I have a question. Dos any of you know what physio would be good for him? What exercise to do with him? I don't want to do too much, but he's getting really bored and would love to run and catch and play... Thaks for help and support:)

brotymo
23rd October 2008, 07:40 PM
I am so glad he is recuperating. Sorry he is still in pain. :(
I don't know much except for what I've seen on TV or been told by others about physical therapy with animals, but isn't water exercise supposed to be good? Is that even a possibility for you?

Jasperxxgabby
23rd October 2008, 07:50 PM
That's great news to hear Andy is recovering steadily.
I have no advice on physio, only that I would ask your vet what he thinks. :hug: to you and Andy and I hope the pain will settle down and he'll be more comfortable :flwr:.

shippers
23rd October 2008, 07:57 PM
Glad to hear Andy is making steady progress. It's probably best to ask your vet about physio. They might recommend some hydrotherapy for him and advise you on where to take him or do a referral for you. Keep us updated on how Andy is getting on. Good luck with the rest of his recovery

pippa
23rd October 2008, 08:17 PM
So pleased to hear Andy is doing so well. Maybe as others have said the best one to advise about physio would be your vet.

Andy's mum
14th November 2008, 06:36 PM
Hello, I'm sorry I didn't post for a while, I'm thinking about it every day, but we're moving house and working a lot and it's sooo busy:rolleyes: Andy is doing well, still is the sweetest boy. Scars are already gone, if you didn't see the shaved places, you wouldn't know. But he's still limping, and I think it will stay like this, because one of his hips is more up then the other, I think because of the steel plate. But he's not in pain most of the time, only when he's very tired after his walk. His surgeon was very impresed how quickly he's recovering, but it's still long way to go... Now we have to build muscles, so we're walking a lot, unfortunately we don't have any swimming pool for dogs anywhere close, so the physio is only walking. But Andy is scared of water anyway...:wink: We've had few troubles and had to go to our vet because he was in really big pain one night as he couldn't make a poo... He was crying more than after the accident! The vet told us, that the healing bone of pelvis is not straight how it should be and is blocking his rectum a little bit so we have to keep Andy on some diet that keeps his poo soft... Any ideas what to feed him? He's very picky and dosn't really want any dog food, but loves chicken with rice and so... The vet gave us Liquid Paraffin for emergency, but I don't want to use it too much.. But otherwise news are very good, Andy is happy and loves his new house because of the underfloor heating:biggrin:

hbmama
14th November 2008, 07:16 PM
Oh, you and poor little Andy have been through so much. I was just thinking about him and wondering the update. It sounds like he is a little trooper and coming along well. Please keep posting on his progress. :hug:

frecklesmom
14th November 2008, 07:26 PM
How nice to hear that Andy is progressing so well. Water therapy is so good,building muscles without wt bearing, but you can't make it appear by magic - it would be the same here. About softening the poo-the only occasions I see that always have softer poo is when I add salmon oil. Maybe there is something like that the Vet can recommend. :hug:to Andy.

Cathy Moon
14th November 2008, 10:50 PM
You can give Andy a human grade fish oil softgel every day. I buy them at the pharmacy; they are 1000 mg. This will help keep his stools soft. Also, make sure he drinks water whenever he wants it, and perhaps mix canned food in with his dry food. If his stools are too soft, try giving him the fish oil every other day.

With the softer stools, you'll need to watch that his anal glands don't fill up and become infected. One way to check is to feel back there every day, and if he wants to guard his bum, then he may be feeling discomfort and need to have the vet express them.

We're thinking of Andy and you every day. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

Rosewoodsteel
15th November 2008, 12:40 AM
Andy is such a sweet little guy.
I can't imagine how truamatic this was to little Andy and your family.
Charlie says hi to Andy and wishes him well. :)
How did the accident happen?

brotymo
15th November 2008, 02:47 AM
Oh, poor little guy. I do hope he heals up okay. Will this be something you have to deal with for the rest of his life (the poop problem)?

pippa
15th November 2008, 12:55 PM
Glad to hear Andy is coming on well after his injuries...Not sure about the poop problem but my boys get quite soft if they have salmon..even a little bit softens them up,as others have said if his poop needs to be soft all the time,keep an eye on the anal glands.

Best wishes for continuing recovery.

Sandrac
18th November 2008, 04:40 PM
Glad to hear that Andy is making steady progress. My two have a tablespoon of natural bio yoghurt with their dinner every day and that keeps their poop at a softer constituency.

Andy's mum
18th November 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all your advises! Andy is having a little bit of bio yogurt every morning (sharing my breakfast:rolleyes:) and I'll definitelly try the fish or salmon oil, it can't hurt:) He didn't have any problems since the last visit to the vet, but we're keeping eye on his diet now so I think it's helping.. Even it's still quite difficult to make him eat what he should be eating... And yes, it seems that it would be whole life problem (the poo thing..:(). But with the right diet...
About the accident. We lived in really quite gated estate, there were just few other residents, some of them even didn't have a car and everybody knew Andy so he could be wandering around free. There were maybe three cars passing per day... And it still happened. It had to be somebody who lived there! The vet said the car run over Andy, so they had to know about it and they still left him on the side of the road without help!!!:mad: I'm still really upset about it and this was actually the main reason we've moved to our new house... Now Andy has got his own big gated garden and is safe:)
Now, few photos from today, really tired after long (muscle building;)) walk...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07821.jpg

No signs about scars!!! Just the groving fur on his head and leg...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07819.jpg

What a difference, isn't it? This is my baby after the accident and surgery, just to remind you how badit was and let you admire his progress;)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07603.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07438.jpg

Thanks very much for everything!!!

Princess Buttercup
18th November 2008, 08:24 PM
Oh dear god.... the poor baby. Fingers crossed he continues to improve...:xfngr:

Rosewoodsteel
18th November 2008, 08:28 PM
What a beautiful little guy!
God bless him.
He will be in my prayers.

Jpup
18th November 2008, 08:29 PM
My heart just melts when i look at them before and after pictures.

Sending big kisses to Andy (and licks from J) and hope he continues to inmprove x:flwr:

Andy's mum
6th December 2008, 03:25 PM
Hi everybody, just wanted to let you know that Andy is doing great, his progress is steady and he is nearly like he was before accident. The last two things he couldn't do was walk up and down the stairs and jump up the sofa or bed. And quess what? He can do it now:rah: Our bedroom is upstairs and sometimes, when I was just going to change or for quick shover, I left him downstairs with OH. Andy loves him to bits, but when I'm home, he is my shadow all the time, so he HAD TO try and climb up the stairs... He looks quite funny, very carefull like 80 years old granny, one step at time, but he is getting better and better every time he do's it. And nobody can stop him now!:rolleyes: We're getting the stairs covered with carpet soon, because they quite slipery now, so it would be even easier for him them... And you should see him climb up to sofa:D It takes some time to do it, lot of barking and steps back and front, but in the end he gathers the courage and jumps! O.K., he dosn't jump, but with his energy he will. And very soon;) He is so happy that he can do it and I'm so proud of him...
Now... I told you about our new house and this Andy enjoying the underfloor heating and new sofa:)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07731.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/petroch/DSC07798.jpg

sins
6th December 2008, 05:07 PM
Your new home is beautiful! Andy seems to have taken over the couch.It's good to know he's doing so well
Sins

*Pauline*
6th December 2008, 06:56 PM
I love this picture, isn't he beautiful.:lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

pippa
6th December 2008, 07:00 PM
He looks great, so glad to see him so well!

diddy
6th December 2008, 10:29 PM
Ahh bless him, hes looking great.

Cathy T
7th December 2008, 03:20 AM
I'm so happy to hear he is doing so well!!! Way to go little man!!

Sabby
7th December 2008, 10:09 AM
Ahh bless him. He is a sweet little guy. :luv: I am glad he is doing so much better.

Andy's mum
7th December 2008, 11:15 PM
:lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv:
I love this picture, isn't he beautiful.:lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv:
Yes, he is breathtaking!!!:D

Mom of Jato
7th December 2008, 11:43 PM
He is such a beautiful boy. I'm glad he is well on the way to recovery- he looks soooo good. :rah:

Dublin
8th December 2008, 10:20 AM
SO pleased to see Andy looking so well. Looks like he got loads of TLC!! :lotsaluv:

Sandrac
8th December 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for updating on Andy's progress - great to hear he is doing well.