PDA

View Full Version : Any News in the National Press re: Margaret C?

Jan Bell
12th October 2008, 11:06 AM
Has anybody got hold of a Sunday Telegraph yet?

Graham is out walking Toby and Rufus (as I stil can't for another couple of weeks) but I am going to send him out to get a paper.

Just wondered if anybody knew if the article was printed or not.

Jan Bell
12th October 2008, 12:02 PM
:p Got it! Page 16 Sunday Telegraph. Very good picture of Margaret and three gorgeous Cavaliers - now going to sit down an read it properly!

sins
12th October 2008, 12:13 PM
The headline is
"Hounded out,The woman who exposed the "cruelty of breeders".
'Spaniel Club members turned vicious' after show revealed damaging practices.
It's a very matter of fact article and Margaret and the dogs look wonderful in the picture.
Sins

Brian M
12th October 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi
I wonder if i can buy a colour print off the DT and get Margaret to autograph it ,shes a famous lady now ,we could also send a copy to another person North of The Border :)

frecklesmom
12th October 2008, 02:23 PM
Anyone found this on the web? Hunting but haven't got it yet .

Jan Bell
12th October 2008, 02:28 PM
Anyone found this on the web? Hunting but haven't got it yet .

I tried this morning but couldn't find it. Hopefully it will appear, but if it doesn't turn up on the internet and anybody overseas wants a photocopy of the article I would be quite happy to copy and post it out to them. PM me with address if you need to.

pippa
12th October 2008, 02:56 PM
I was searching for it too doesn't seem to be available yet. If anyone finds it maybe they can post a link?

sins
12th October 2008, 02:56 PM
For overseas members who want to view the article,
Follow this link.
http://dailytelegraph.newspaperdirect.com/screenprint/viewer.aspx#
Take a trial one day subscription (free) and then click on the sunday telegraph.
Margaret's article is on page 16.
Sins

frecklesmom
12th October 2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Sins. Perfect. Nice article and picture. Article to the point and so very timely. Good afternoon's work, Margaret C :thmbsup:

Karlin
12th October 2008, 03:57 PM
There's no version of the story available online.

However here is a scan (http://cavaliertalk.com/margaret.pdf).

*Pauline*
12th October 2008, 04:06 PM
I just got a copy :D

Aileen
12th October 2008, 04:20 PM
I just read in on the internet love the photo and very well writen
--Aileen and the gang (Barney--Jazzie---Jake)

Shelli
12th October 2008, 04:21 PM
Just got my copy...and boy was it hard to find!! Great photo of Margaret and her dogs and a very matter-of-fact article. Hopefully this will raise even more awareness of what has been going on.

Lisa_T
12th October 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm glad to see this. I was surprised last week when no paper took up the story - I was half contemplating dropping a line to the Daily Mail to prod them in Margaret's direction!

Maxxs_Mummy
13th October 2008, 12:04 AM
Just a shame it appeared in one of the 'better' newspapers rather than the Daily scum (The Sun) as those are the people more likely to be going out buying cavaliers from so called 'reputable breeders'. :(

Good article though and Margaret will come out on top. I think it also exposes what a lot of us already know. That the show world is full of bad breeders who only care about rosettes and once the dogs stop winning or are no longer making them money from breeding then they rehome them to 'pet homes'.

I actually bought Maxx to show but when it transpired that due to a health problem I couldn't, I didn't care. He was and always will be my very special baby. I've offered to take one of his breeder's older dogs on more than one occasion but she, like me loves them too much and won't part with any of them.

*Pauline*
13th October 2008, 12:21 AM
Just a shame it appeared in one of the 'better' newspapers rather than the Daily scum (The Sun) as those are the people more likely to be going out buying cavaliers from so called 'reputable breeders'. :(

I understand you are upset, I am too, but this can happen to anyone regardless. Many people never heard of SM before the documentary was aired. I feel the fault lies with the breeders, the public are ignorant of the facts as it's hushed up.

Maxxs_Mummy
13th October 2008, 08:44 AM
I understand you are upset, I am too, but this can happen to anyone regardless. Many people never heard of SM before the documentary was aired. I feel the fault lies with the breeders, the public are ignorant of the facts as it's hushed up.

Maxx was diagnosed over three years ago. Luckily, I had the support of his wonderful breeder who was as horrified as I was. She had kept 2 of his brothers but as they hadn't sired any pups at that point, she wasn't going to let them, just in case.

My point was that it was a shame that the article wasn't in a paper like the Sun as more of the general public buy that sort of paper rather than the 'middle class' papers like the Times, Telegraph etc. To my mind, it is more likely to be a member of this group of people (nothing personal meant here to anyone) ie: 'the man in the street' who are going to go and buy a Cavalier from a so called reputable breeder who will then deny all knowledge of SM being in their line etc, etc, etc.

I've heard it and dealt with it time and time again when people have emailed me to try and find out how to cope with these poor babies and help to manage their pain. I have seen and heard of far too many cavaliers being lost to this disease over the last 3 years that it mortifies me :( I can now see why a lot of really good breeders won't have anything to do with the Cavalier club & don't have a lot of confidence in the KC either. Both organisations will just close ranks and put up brick walls when asked to do something. I was therefore astounded when the KC made the announcement backing Margaret last week.

I have a feeling that I will again be dealing with them this week, over another sensitive issue.

Alison_Leighfield
13th October 2008, 09:52 AM
won't we both....a very sensitive issue... :(

Alison.

Jan Bell
13th October 2008, 10:18 AM
I can now see why a lot of really good breeders won't have anything to do with the Cavalier club & don't have a lot of confidence in the KC either. Both organisations will just close ranks and put up brick walls when asked to do something. I was therefore astounded when the KC made the announcement backing Margaret last week.

As were a lot of us!

But I wonder if by not joining the CKCS Club the responsible breeders were really doing the breed much of a favour. Ditto pet owners (myself included) who may have joined but never watched what was going on. Surely this leaves the Club to those 200+ members who voted Margaret out? Either more people have to become involved, or we need a new Club! The good breeders need to be supported.

I do agree with your point about the more widely circulated papers. The more people who read about this the better. The CKCS Club members who voted Margaret out are kidding themselves if they think that their recent behaviour has done anything to endear them to the average pet owner (or responsible breeder). On the other hand, the very factual report in the Telegraph did avoid the charge of sensationalism.

As for the Kennel Club, well, I can't say I have been impressed with them in the past, but lets see what happens now. I don't see how they can stay a viable organisation without change, and assume that they have realised that, hence last weeks's press release.

I don't for one moment think that their change of heart is going to be the end of the matter, it's just the beginning. But there are enough people now who are watching closely their next move, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and tentative support. I assume that any legislative powers would be in the hands of DEFRA (or that they would oversee the KC in this). But too early to speculate on these things at the moment. I will wait to see what happens next.

I actually bought Maxx to show but when it transpired that due to a health problem I couldn't, I didn't care.

Absolutely how it should be! And your breeder sounds like a true Cavalier person too. I will never understand how some breeders can dispense with their pets so easily.

PS I hope that Maxx is doing ok.

Karlin
13th October 2008, 12:20 PM
People of all backgrounds, all incomes, all interests make bad puppy buying decisions. I don't think there's one jot of difference -- I know wealthy intelligent people who opt for mail order internet puppies and people of lower income who do it the right way and who who save and save to get the cavalier they want from a health focused breeder. The difference is not background, the difference is how much time people put into doing research, what is important to them, and how adept they are at asking questions of breeders.

Income and education are no barrier to stupid or underinformed purchases. I can understand the underinformed who believed they were making good choices and then learn better; what I don't understand are the people who spend time on this board or others, ask for advice on getting a puppy, receive it, then go ahead and buy off the internet, a newspaper, from a BYB, a petshop or just some breeder whose number they get. Just as important as BREEDING for health is BUYING for health.

I still am baffled as to who the reputable wonderful breeders are that avoid the clubs completely. I must have missed all of these -- but it is important for all sorts of reasons to be part of the club and voting for change, and just what are they doing that makes their breeding programmes so reputable? Are they not just breeding for income then? If people breed on the outside :eek: -- and cannot be bothered to argue for change and VOTE for it within the one place they can have some real effect -- then I am sorry but they are doing the breed no favours at all.

Ciren
13th October 2008, 12:49 PM
thank you for the scan Karlin

Maxxs_Mummy
13th October 2008, 02:55 PM
[removed by admin]

Karlin
13th October 2008, 03:33 PM
I have already had to edit a few of your posts today and now I am removing this last one entirely. These may be personal opinions about the club and individuals and breeders but better to discuss them offline or elsewhere please.

Alison_Leighfield
13th October 2008, 04:17 PM
[deleted as well]

Karlin
13th October 2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry folks, but I have been clear on this topic before: I will not even consider giving any form of public support to people who breed away outside of any club framework and I do not care whether they MRI every darn dog they own and breed. If they don't care to have a VOTE at important times such as the recent SGM, if they don't bother to elect the national reps to give a real voice for these dogs, if they cut themselves off from news and activities that bring them into active contact with a broad range of breeders and cavaliers -- well, what is the point? Just breeding to make puppy money? What else are they contributing to any broader effort except a few scans to research? You can do that without breeding dogs. :mad:

And if these folks are so committed, why weren't they at any of the SM conferences? Oh -- maybe they didn't know about them because they aren't in the club?

I do not accept that because some people in the clubs do things some do not like, that it follows on that anyone should ever support people who decide to just go off and breed whatever they want for the pet market. How is that different from the oh so nice pet market breeders who say they test this and that? So do all these puppies then get homed with absolutely no ability to keep people from breeding them either? Not even a limited registration? Breeding like this also does nothing to put good genes in circulation. None of the health focused breeders I know will use unregistered dogs regardless of grade so they are lost to the breed as a whole, aren't they?

Can we return to a discussion of the article or related topics please. :thmbsup:

Margaret C
13th October 2008, 06:44 PM
Can we return to a discussion of the article or related topics please. :thmbsup:

Well, as Karlin has requested......

I have just had a phone call from someone from BBC Three Counties Radio, our Beds, Herts, and Bucks Local Radio. They saw the Sunday Telegraph article & they would like me to talk to their Breakfast Time presenter, Stephen Rhodes.

It seems the programme has already had discussions on the film, but they have only just realised they have someone who was involved living within their area.

It means getting up early ( for me ) as the programme goes out between 7-8am.

At least nobody will know if I am still in my dressing gown.

Margaret C

Aileen
13th October 2008, 06:55 PM
Good luck Margaret I would love to listen to it I think you are one very special lady
---Aileen and the gang (Barney--Jazzie--Jake)

*Pauline*
13th October 2008, 07:01 PM
This is great Margaret, the more people who hear about this the better. You never complain about getting nervous, I couldn't do what you do. :thmbsup:

Jasperxxgabby
13th October 2008, 07:02 PM
Thats great news to hear Margaret, good luck, I echo what Aileen says you are one special (and brave) lady:flwr::flwr:

Shelli
13th October 2008, 07:11 PM
Great news Margaret :rah::rah:

team bella
13th October 2008, 07:12 PM
Good Luck Margaret. I will be listening on the internet, in my dressing gown and slippers!!:)

Here's the link to listen http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/local_radio/

frecklesmom
13th October 2008, 07:32 PM
Terrific, Margaret, the more that hear the better. Hope you function well in am-not like me who sometimes has to enter password 3 times :eek:

Jan Bell
13th October 2008, 07:34 PM
:thmbsup: Wonderful! Any idea when?

Karlin
13th October 2008, 07:54 PM
Good, you will be broadcast into lots and lots of homes over breakfast! :)

Brian M
13th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Hi

Do the BBC have any method that you can tune in at a later time to listen as i go to work about 7.30 AM and also not in the catchment area.:(

littlelady
13th October 2008, 08:37 PM
Great news!:thmbsup:

Margaret C
13th October 2008, 09:23 PM
:thmbsup: Wonderful! Any idea when?

No, just told between 7-8am.

Now, I am getting nervous at the thought of all of you listening in!

Margaret C

*Pauline*
13th October 2008, 09:42 PM
Don't forget to take deep slow breaths, you can trick your body into being calm. Karlin should give you some tips, she has done this a lot. Write some notes to make sure you say what you want too.

Karlin
13th October 2008, 09:44 PM
Oh no, I wouldn't dare give Margaret advice after she remained calm at that SGM! :rotfl:

There is a playback feature on the link for the site noted previously.

*Pauline*
13th October 2008, 09:45 PM
Oh no, I wouldn't dare give Margaret advice after she remained calm at that SGM! :rotfl:

There is a playback feature on the link for the site noted previously.

Well it can't be as bad as the SGM.

Nicki
13th October 2008, 10:20 PM
Good luck with this Margaret - let us know when it's going out so we can listen again on the Internet :D

keep calm, I'm sure you will be terrific as you are speaking from the heart. :xfngr:

Margaret C
14th October 2008, 08:21 AM
Well, I have just finished speaking. Hope I did not make a fool of myself. I felt very nervous to start with, worse than the SGM.
They did not phone until just after 8am, by that time I had presumed it just was not going to happen.

Now taking the dogs out & then I have a dentist appointment.

What a fun day!

Margaret C

*Pauline*
14th October 2008, 09:29 AM
What a bad day indeed. My son didn't come home last night, the workmen knocked down my front wall post and we have the neurologist tomorrow. We can be a bag of nerves together! I'm going to try and listen to the recording on the website now. Well done :thmbsup:

Karlin
14th October 2008, 09:49 AM
I think it is often easier to be in the studio -- harder when you cannot see the face of the person you are talking to. I usually make a little list of key points as it is so easy to forget or for the conversation to get sidetracked. I love radio though -- I like the banter of it, both presenting and as a guest, either way.

CavCross
14th October 2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/three.shtml here is a link - well done just had a listen.

Jan Bell
14th October 2008, 10:43 AM
Well, I have just finished speaking. Hope I did not make a fool of myself.

Margaret you certainly did not! I thought you did really well, getting the main points across without any unnecessary comments about the people who voted you out. The facts speak for themselves.

I think it is noticable that you and Carol Fowler can make a case for Cavalier Health without resorting to underhand tactics, unlike certain members of the CKCS Club.

All this talk about Animal Activists for instance. A tactic of diversion if ever I saw one.

Well done. :thmbsup:

Ste
14th October 2008, 10:49 AM
My son didn't come home last night,

Hope everything is ok Pauline :flwr:

Sandrac
14th October 2008, 11:07 AM
Margaret
Just listened to the interview - excellent job, well done.:rah:

Karlin
14th October 2008, 11:19 AM
The link for the archived show is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/three/aod.shtml?three/breakfast_three_counties_tue

And it starts about 2 hours in, at justafter 2:00 if you fast forward, and runs to 2:14.

The broadcaster cannot believe other members of the committee didn't resign over the situation.

Good job, "whistleblower and rebel, Margaret Carter"!!

Cathy Moon
14th October 2008, 12:29 PM
The link for the archived show is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/three/aod.shtml?three/breakfast_three_counties_tue

And it starts about 2 hours in, at justafter 2:00 if you fast forward, and runs to 2:14.

The broadcaster cannot believe other members of the committee didn't resign over the situation.

Good job, "whistleblower and rebel, Margaret Carter"!!
We just listened to the show - Great job Margaret! :thmbsup:

team bella
14th October 2008, 01:13 PM
Margaret you were excellent.:thmbsup: You put the case across very well and the presenter obviously loved. You're the best whistleblower in town. :rah:
Now we need to get you back on the committee.

Barbara
14th October 2008, 06:01 PM
Just listened to the program Margaret. You did extremely well, very factual. Now just to make you smile and see what a divy I am, my husband had to point out that I could fast forward to your bit because I thought I would have to listen to the previous two hours !!!! :sl*p:

frecklesmom
14th October 2008, 06:45 PM
That was good :blabla: , Margaret, and really quite positive I thought. You have a nice voice-so calm and thoughtful :thmbsup:

neves
14th October 2008, 08:43 PM
is there some way I could listen to this online?

:o --- found it - sorry for the unnecessary post

Jasperxxgabby
14th October 2008, 09:14 PM
You were great Margaret, well done:D