• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do Cavs Get Asthma?

margot

Our tri-colored female is almost three years old and a joy. We've almost gotten used to her extremely loud snoring. (Who knew that such a little thing could snore so loudly?) But here's what I'm worried about: every so often she starts gasping deep in her throat -- it almost sounds like asthma. She runs to me and I rub her back and her chest until she calms down. It usually passes within a minute or so. It happened once when we were at the vet, but he was out of the room at the time, and she didn't do it again while he was there. He didn't seem too concerned but he was a new doctor. Does anyone have similar experiences? Is this "normal" in the breed? We've only had her since earlier this year and I'm still learning. I read about four pages of threads in this section and didn't see anything similar. I appreciate your thoughts!
Thanks,
Margot

Snorting is something the breed does. You are supposed to place your hand over the nostrils briefly to stop it, I have been told, though I've never had either of mine do it, so I can't speak from experience. As far as asthma goes, I have a friend whose cat has it, and even needs breathing treatments, so I know animals can have asthma.

Snorting or snoring?

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you mean snoring is something the breed does or snorting? She does both! :)
Thanks,
Margot

Snorting is something the breed does. You are supposed to place your hand over the nostrils briefly to stop it,
More importantly, gently tip her nose/face down towards her chest; this will change the position of her soft palate in her throat which is causing the snorting/breathing problem.(y)

Thank you!

Thanks, I shall definitely try that. We've gotten used to her snoring, but I get scared when she has breathing problems and wasn't sure what to do. Thank you so much!
Margot

They both snort and snore. The cavalier snort is resolved usually as noted above. :) I have two quiet dogs and two snorers. Jaspar (who is perfect :lol:) never has snored and also never pees on his own leg hair or belly so is an exceptional cavalier boy! :rotfl:

Holly snores just like hubby, sometimes I cannot tell who's the loudest. Someone I know suggested putting a telephone directory under holly's head while she is asleep and it works. She also snorts alot and I just hold her muzzle downwards towards her chest and although it might take a couple of goes it works well.
For any one wondering if I have tried the telephone directory with hubby the answer is no not underneath his head.:rotfl:

That's hilarious

I am laughing so loudly that I interrupted her snoring! That is a wonderful suggestion. I shall try the phone book on both Jewel and hubby!

Thanks everyone - I feel much better now.
Cheers,
Margot

The telephone directory sounds like an interesting idea. Pixie snored and so does Bandit. Both of them loudly! I actually had Bandit snort today after I posted that none of mine ever had!He only did a couple or three snorts and stopped.

Back