• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What are you feeding your

ice-cavi

Cavaliers? And Are they getting anything additional besides their doggiefoods ?
Mine are both on RC(minipup& cavalier) and also I give them Solid Gold flaxseed oil and seameal powder everyday.
I occationally cook them some meats like ground beef,lambhearts and seldom liver. They will get this as a topping on the kibble.
Elja also sometimes gets raw carrots(loves them) and raw beefbones as a treat.
A coupple of times a week they get AB milk,wich is sugarfree sour milk with some healthy bacteria in it.

Last edited:
Feeding

My lot are currently on Royal Canin dry food, they get fish oils capsules 3/4 times a week and are also given some live yogurt (fat free of course!) every so often (or if one of them has an upset belly). For treats we feed them little bits of carrot, some dog biscuits and they all love raw hide bones/sticks so they get these a few times a week. Oh, and of course pig ears - but only on very special occasions!

Pretty boring really :rolleyes:

Mine are on a raw diet, so besides their meat (which they eat for dinner) they are fed, on a daily basis, cottage cheese or yogurt (made with goat's milk), pumpkin, tripe, olive oil, salmon oil, seaweed, brewer's yeast (not during winter), flaked barley, oats, colostrum and Transfer Factor. Yes, their breakfast takes a while to prepare! :rolleyes: They have organ meat for about 20% of their meat and also get veggies like carrots, broccoli and beans for snacks/treats. For additional goodies they have freeze-dried tripe or fish, dried lamb or other small treats. They both LOVE bully sticks, cow/lamb ears, moo chews and those swirly cork-screw chews, I forget what they're called...

WOW cy that is very impressing:) I´d love to go raw sometime...but I imagine its very time consuming and with three kids I allready spent alot of time in the kitchen,haha.......But your boys are lucky to have a great chef like you:)

WOW cy that is very impressing:smile: I´d love to go raw sometime...but I imagine its very time consuming

Thanks, it's not the raw meat part that's time consuming it's the rest of it, which is their breakfast. When they eat their meat I just out their snoods on them, put down a clean towel, and put the meat on the towel and they start working on it. I guess bagging it all takes a bit of time though (I buy enough food for about a month or 2 and put each meal in a separate baggie in the freezer and thaw it the night before), but it's not that bad, I'm used to it! We have 2 dogs and 2 cats but no kids yet, so I only have to prepare food for the animals! ;)

cy1266 where do you get clostrum? Do you have a farm?

:lol: That made me laugh since I live in a very urban area! No, I don't have a farm (although I would LOVE to have a farm someday!!!), I got the colostrum from my breeder. I can look at the container tonight and let you know what brand it is and if there's a phone number to call...I think it was $100 but it's a HUGE container, and I've had it for 1 1/2 years and still have about half of it left. If the dogs ever look like they're not feeling well I give them a bunch of it, mixed with water, and it's helped within minutes. They get about 1/4 teaspoon daily.

My breeder also gave me a HUGE container of colostrum. The container label says "Symbiotics - Colostrum Plus powder". My jar is 21 ounces in size. It is distributed by Naturade, Inc. in the US. The website is www.Naturade.com. Hopefully they'll ship overseas. Couldn't find a phone number. Like Cy said, it was expensive, around $100, but I've got 4 dogs and I've had it since I got Oz (15 months) and still have some left.

I'm amazed I've never heard of colostum coming in powder form. I'm studying agricultural science as part if my leaving cert and I've learned how calves drink colostrum for their first 3-4 days to build up their immune system, clear their intestines and raise their body temperature. Your dogs must be so healthy!

My breeder recommended Burns mini bites. But to add extra fibre to help stop anal glands blocking I add some Hi Bran. They also have a slice of ham with their tea as Paddy is fussy if he just has dry food!!

Feeding

I have never even thought of feeding colostrum to an animal that isn't unwell - learn something new everyday! The must love it!

I tend to give my lot a "Weetabix" biscuit 3/4 times a week to get the glands drained, sometimes everyday for a while if they have been scooting. It's great for heloing them drain and prevents any discomfort or trips to the vet to get them drained! (y)

"Weetabix"

Bit of a brain fart there! I didn't mean Weetabix but SHREDDED WHEAT. I give the original ones to them dry - they love it! Or a few of the bitesize ones. I have never had a need to wet them, they gobble them right up (and leave a bit of a mess behind them :rolleyes:) but I have found it really helps with the anal gland problems. I def recommend it (y)

Oh I'm so glad you clarified that--I was trying to figure out if Weetabix was in the states! I'm definitely going to try the shredded wheat for anal glands.

I had my guys on Canidae until they changed the formula and started having Diamond manufacture their food :mad:.
Going through a 40 lb. bag of dogfood every two weeks gets expensive, and Canidae was very reasonable.
I am now trying out Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb and Rice with Oatmeal formula. It seems to be doing them well. I also feed local raw venison as part of their meal a couple times a week and add a few veggies (green beans, carrots, some tomato occasionally) and a small amount of fruit (apple slices/peels, blackberries, blueberries, etc).

Right now am giving Solid Gold Just a wee bit, will alternate with the Royal Canin and the Wellness both small bit. Cannot get the Cavalier version in the states(at least not yet) Add a tablespoon of caned food at night, the same brand as dry. Chelsea needs to trim down some, last weight 18.8 but think she is down some more. Put at least half of dry food in a cube for her to chase around.

Will be adding the seameal and vitamin C from Solid gold based on a breeders recomemdation.

Treats are dried chicken, edeable nylabones,carrots, and Nutro biscuts for sensitive stomachs. She does not digest any rawhide (2 vet visits and 1000$ plus and I figured it out on my own).

We are traing for agility so treats vary from chicken, cheese, dried cheese buttons, Solid Gold turky jerky or just dried food pieces.:p

Hi everyone!:) Right now, I am feeding my 3 dogs Eagle Pack Holistic Select dry (rotating between Anchovy, Senior, Lamb, and Duck formulas) combined with Eagle Pack Holistic can food (rotating between chicken, lamb, beef, and fish formulas). All is mixed with a small amount of water and Solid Gold Seameal. They gobble it up! And they are doing great on this! They are fed twice a day. Also, after each meal, they receive a glucosamine supplement.

Mine are on a raw diet, so besides their meat (which they eat for dinner) they are fed, on a daily basis, cottage cheese or yogurt (made with goat's milk), pumpkin, tripe, olive oil, salmon oil, seaweed, brewer's yeast (not during winter), flaked barley, oats, colostrum and Transfer Factor. Yes, their breakfast takes a while to prepare! :rolleyes: They have organ meat for about 20% of their meat and also get veggies like carrots, broccoli and beans for snacks/treats. For additional goodies they have freeze-dried tripe or fish, dried lamb or other small treats. They both LOVE bully sticks, cow/lamb ears, moo chews and those swirly cork-screw chews, I forget what they're called...

Oh my gosh!!! Now I feel like a neglectful mom. Dottie only gets Primal Raw complete for her breakfast and dinner, and raw vegies/carrots, beans/broccoli, occasional teenie greenie, dehydrated yams, and maybe a piece of Canidae biscuit for treat. Sometimes she gets those Merricks sticks when she needs a good chew. That's it, thats all she wrote....Should I be adding supplements too?

Ive had to change foods with my two recently for a couple of reasons.

At the mo they are each having
Breakfast
1/8 pack of naturediet
25g burns chicken & rice
1 garlic & fenugreek tab
1/2 tsp yumega
1/2 glucosamine & chondritin tablet

Dinner
1/8 pach naturediet
30g burns chicken & rice

Treats
Any of -
dried green tripe, paddywack, raw hide sticks, boneo (mini).

Hi

My threes list of ingredients

Poppy

Burns High Oats 20 gr
Green Beans )
Carrot ) As a Filler
Broccoli )

Small pce Dried Banana
Plaque Off
Keepers Mix
Spoon Of Bran
Squirt of Kronch Salmon Oil
Teaspoon of Protexin Pro Fibre

All x 2 IE Breakfast and Evening Meal
Daisy and Rosie have the same except for Burns which varies from their range Potato and Salmon or Chicken or Venison and as they are not on a diet they have 25 grammes.
Then their nighttime supplements of 1 cod liver oil capsule ,1 evening primrose capsule ,1 Garlic and Fenugreek tablet.

And then I clean their teeth with a doogy tooth paste and clean them again with Logic Gel and to finish a half of small size Logic dog chew for their teeth.

And then we all go to bed.

Back