PDA

View Full Version : How to let a Cav run w/o ingestion of "junk?"

MishathePooh
19th October 2008, 12:57 PM
It seems if I let my boy off leash lately, he is eating intestinally bad (read diarrhea inducing) items. Since he runs in a dog park or near the lake in my complex, I'm assuming he's eating bunny pellets or maybe deer pellets of some sort; he apparently ignores goose droppings. I can't always tell if he's sniffing something intently or eating it. I love to let him run around, but the diarrhea must stop! It usually lasts about a day and then he's back to normal. He also did get clostridium once which had to be treated with antibiotics :-( Any safe ways to let him run?

inca
19th October 2008, 01:19 PM
I think i would keep my dog on a lead unless the NO recall command was 100% effective

:)

AT
19th October 2008, 02:09 PM
a basket muzzle to stop him picking things up ? ( not one of those nylon ones that holds their mouth shut)

Cathy Moon
19th October 2008, 02:15 PM
Have you taken obedience training classes with him? If you really focus on obedience with him, meaning several brief practice sessions per day with good rewards, he will have a stronger partnership with you and want to obey.

If you can, take him to obedience classes leading to a canine good citizen certificate. He will learn to keep his focus on you, and he'll learn 'leave it' and 'come' to pass up food and toys in order to obey you. And if you choose to take the CGC test you will be so proud when you both pass it!

In the meantime I would keep in on a lead, because every time he gets away with ignoring your calls and eating whatever he wants, the behavior will become more and more ingrained.

MishathePooh
19th October 2008, 07:40 PM
He's 12 years old and deaf, but he does follow me everywhere and the park is fenced in. He did obedience including CGC back in the day, but the "leave it" command is not effective with a deaf dog! He's actually obedient, just I never bothered to work with commands when I give him free running time. If I ask him to heal off leash, he will - but then he doesn't get the exercise!

brotymo
19th October 2008, 08:04 PM
It sounds like the basket muzzle might be the ticket since he can't hear you give the command! Otherwise, a long lead that you can use to "reel him in" if he gets into something. I'd worry about him eating a sick animal's poo, or something really toxic.

JessicaK
19th October 2008, 10:45 PM
I sympathize with your problem, but I'm afraid I don't have any advice. Our puppy, Charlie, recently became very ill with what the vet termed a "massive bacterial infection." The vet thinks it was due to something he ate, so now that he has recovered, I am super cautious, to the point of not even wanting him to run around in our backyard.

Mom of Jato
20th October 2008, 04:12 PM
I also have this problem. We have a nice fenced in back yard that the dogs should be able to run and play in, but......every time I allow them to just run "free" all they want to do is eat the mulch in the flower beds, and sniff out the rabbit poop to eat. :eek: I have to keep chasing them down to pull yucky stuff out of their mouths. I mostly take them out on lead to potty, and then just walk them around the yard. I've tried taking all kinds of different toys outside, but they have no interest. :( Don't know what else to do, it's a bummer.

Mom of Jato
13th March 2009, 12:58 AM
I just wanted to open up this thread again to see if anyone has more advice on how to stop the dogs from eating the wood mulch from the flower beds. The snow has melted away, and I really would like the dogs to be able to run and play in the back yard...I ALWAYS take them out on lead to potty, and I wish I didn't have to. If I were to remove the mulch, what else would I use? (not rocks or stones) :confused:

Karlin
13th March 2009, 01:50 AM
Just be sure it isn't cocoa mulch which can be lethal to dogs. :thmbsup:

It would be much easier to select a different mulch or not use one at all. Why not talk to your local garden centre about options? It is very hard to stop dogs from eating things if they are inclined to eat stuff like mulch.

Mom of Jato
13th March 2009, 11:48 PM
Nope, not cocoa mulch- just plain old wood bark mulch. What do all of you use in your flower beds and around your trees?

Cathy Moon
14th March 2009, 12:15 PM
We use this type of border fencing:
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/80-506-decorative-garden-fencing/round-folding-fence-border-104824.aspx

Green looks better than white IMO, and you need at least 18 inches tall. If the openings are too wide, the dogs will walk right through, so you may have to stagger two layers of the fencing - we had to. Also, if you put the mulch right up to the edge of the border fencing, they will stick their paws through and pull pieces of mulch out:rolleyes:, so you'll need to work with them on that.

Occasionally Geordie will jump the little fence, but he respects our wishes most of the time.

We have one section of landscaping that had mulch, and we put in rocks. That works well for the dogs (except a rabbit nested in the rocks the first year), but one of the pine trees died:(, so I think the rocks may have changed the pH of the soil underneath.