• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diarrhea

My little dog has diarrhea. It started on Saturday morning after having a normal stool sample. We fed her later in the day (same food as always) and she had diarrhea all night and into Sunday. On Monday I phoned the vet and they suggested half a children's Bepto tablets and put her on rice and chicken food. They also said to bring in a stool sample if it didn't get better. Well, we were up again all night last night and I got a stool sample and dropped it off this morning. There was no sign of parasites and they said it should work through her system. If she was not cleared to bring her in on Thursday and they would look at her. We adopted Dakota (5yr. old) in May and have not had 1 problem with her. She has been on the same food and treats since day 1. We do not give her any food scraps. The only change is on Friday she went to the groomer and had her glands cleaned out. However, she goes to the same groomer every month and we haven't had a problem until now. Any suggestions? I'm a tired stressed out mom wanting the best for her baby. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

I think you'll have to wait for the test results. I would guess there could be a possible link to the groomer and have your dogs glands done at the vets next time.

Oh my! Charlie had problems with diahrrea too. This last time the doctor put him on an antibiotic (i can't remember the name of it at the moment), changed his food, and some other pill to stop the diahrrea. We first had him on the medicine for 2 weeks, but as soon as we stopped the medicine it came back. So the vet put him on it for a month. He's been great now. We never figured out what was causing it. The vet said he could have gotten some kind of virus or something. His stool samples kept coming back normal.

We now have Charlie on a new food, Life's Abundance. He loves it and he hasn't had any problems with it. Here's the link to where you can order the food if you want.
http://www.healthfoodforpets.com/BentleyBoyer/Dogs.htm

Good luck with your baby. It's so sad when they are sick. Oh and I also gave Charlie some Pepto Bismol the day before we took him to the vet. That really didn't help him much, but you may want to try it.

My breeder swears by canned pumpkin and baby food chicken for diarrhea - nothing else. It's worked for my dogs twice before. And one of them had really liquid stools. Worth a try.

Ours had diarrea when we came back from vacation.. I boiled rice (a LOT of rice) and in the same water I boiled chicken breast as well so they have been on rice and chicken for a few days.. only Qwick still had diarrea then and so he stayed on rice and chicken a few days more and I added some Enterol on his food.. after a few more days they were all fine again :)

Good luck and I really hope it gets better soon!
I boil the rice and chicken with (lol here goes a try-to-translate) chicken bouillon (herbs for soup? :p)
Dutch talking people will probably know what I mean.. This way it has at least a nice smell and a little extra taste without making it too spicy ;)

Perhaps Dakota has eaten something nasty or caught a bug whilst shes been on her walks? Sally had a few epsiodes of diarrhoea when she was younger and she was given antibiotics and fed chicken and rice and it cleared. Hopefully it'll pass. Is she drinking well? Otherwise she might get dehydrated. Hope she's better soon

Bev,

the canned pumpkin and baby chicken food, do you mix that together? I'll have to try that next time. I wonder if we could mix it all in with a little bit of rice too. Sometimes I wonder if Charlie likes getting sick to his tummy cause he gets yummy food for a few days! LOL! Although for now, Charlie has been doing really good on his food.

oh I remembered the name of the antibiotic the vet put him on, it's called Flagyl.

I think the baby food chicken is to make it more palatable than just the pumpkin (although my four eat anything and everything you put in front of them!), but yes, I just mix them all up together. Rice would be a great addition. As far as the flagyl, make sure you get the generic form - metronidazole - it is much cheaper. I mistakenly asked specifically for Flagyl once and was shocked at how much it was. The vet then said that I could have the generic instead at a fraction of the cost.

Oh good to know about the Flagyl!

Yes, my Charlie is a finicky eater. I practically have to beg him to eat. Lately, I've been putting a little cheese in his kibble and its enough for him to at least go to the bowl and start eating. He can go days without eating. It was worse when he was younger. Now that he's a little older he's a little better at eating. Thank God!

I hope Dakota gets better soon. I have more experience with diarrhea in dogs than I care to admit (and it's much worse when it's bloody diarrhea in a 14 year old dog ...).

My little rescue Sparky has had bouts of it recently, but again the stool sample is negative.

I hope Dakota gets better soon. If not, you might want to see about getting some flagyl. Not all parasites are easily detected in stool samples. Hopefully it's just a little bug though that goes away. I hate giving meds (to me or the dogs) unnecessarily. :)

Quick question - is there any particular type of rice (brown or white etc) that's better to feed a sick dog? Our little one has had diarrhea all night, and I've no idea what's wrong with her. She's in fine form otherwise... Will bring her to the vet tomorrow if it hasn't cleared up.

when bailey was on rice & chicken, we just used regular white rice. we put the chicken in with this and she did fine. Just make sure she is drinking plenty as these little ones will dehydrate very quickly.

She seems to be drinking normally, and she's in grand form otherwise - so am hoping she just ate something dodgy on her walk. Made the chicken and rice, and she loved it - I didn't give her too much, in case her tummy is still a bit delicate. Will keep her on in for the next few days, and see how she gets on. But if she's still having bouts of it when we get home from work tomorrow, it's straight to the vet for her...

Diahorroea

Often it takes a few days for it to clear up - if she doesn't have a temperature and seems ok in herself that she may only need a probiotic to help settle the belly (something like procolin is great). I mix a bit of live bacteria yogurt in with their food for a few days after they have had a bad bout to get the belly working properly again. And keep them on the chicken and rice (boring white rice) for a few days too.

If she seems a bit sluggish or not herself, or if it contines for more than a day or two, a trip to the vet is called for as she may have gastroenteritis or another bug, thus might need some antibiotics. As long as she is drinking and keeping food down there is no need for big worry - just keep a good eye on her (y)

Often it takes a few days for it to clear up - if she doesn't have a temperature and seems ok in herself that she may only need a probiotic to help settle the belly (something like procolin is great). I mix a bit of live bacteria yogurt in with their food for a few days after they have had a bad bout to get the belly working properly again. And keep them on the chicken and rice (boring white rice) for a few days too.

If she seems a bit sluggish or not herself, or if it contines for more than a day or two, a trip to the vet is called for as she may have gastroenteritis or another bug, thus might need some antibiotics. As long as she is drinking and keeping food down there is no need for big worry - just keep a good eye on her (y)

We haven't had any recurrance of it yet since we got up this morning, so fingers crossed she just ate something yesterday that didn't agree with her. She was in great form on her walk just now, and is waiting impatiently for her dinner (she keeps going to her bowl to check if it's appeared yet), so I'm taking that as a good sign.

What's procolin - and where can I get it? And I probably sound like an idiot - but how can I check her temp - and what should it be? I'm not as worried about her as I was this morning, as she seems happy enough in herself... am hoping she'll have a normal "evacuation" on her walk before bed, and I can relax a bit more...

Procolin is a probiotic for dogs - you can get it in the vets! I find live barteria yogurt to do the same job though, just need to be careful how much you give because it can have the opposite effect to what you want if they get too much :eek:, a tablespoon twice a say should do the job.

A thremometer is the only way to take the dogs temp beause a few degrees (or less) change can't really be taken by feel. It should be between 101.5 and 102.5 Fahrenheit (or 38 to 39 Celcius), usually taken in the ears or rectally (lovely! :rolleyes:). If she seems ok though it can nearly be presumed that she doesn't have a temperature - most dogs get very under the weather if they have any sort of temperature (except if they are in heat!)

If she still has runny poo tonight I wouldn't be too concerned - leave some newspaper down just in case, but everything should settle down by tomorrow.

Well she pooed on the floor again last night - seems to be firming up though, but still not great. The thing is, she also peed inside (despite peeing plenty on her walk at 11pm) - is this normal when they have a tummy upset? Am a bit concerned, so I think we'll probably bring her to the vet tonight... She still seems in grand form, and was delighted with her freshly cooked breakfast...

I had a Yorkie as a child (years and years ago) and it had the same problem. Turned out the little sod was eating something he shouldn't in the garden and only doing it when we weren't looking (as he had been corrected).

We then attacked the plant with a shovel and no more issues.

Well we got home this evening to find that:
a) looks like she peed twice
b) there was more runny poo
c) there was a small bit of blood in it
d) she'd also thrown up some of her breakfast
...so we brought her straight to the vet, who admitted her straight away. She got an antibiotic shot, and she's being put on a drip. They said she'll more than likely have to stay in tomorrow night too. They think it's gastroenteritis - they've had quite a few cases of it over the last two weeks. I'm in bits. Our poor golden retriever seems really confused - he misses her already :(

Dont worry too much. Drips always look worse than they really are. Its just a foolproof way of replacing fluids shes lost during the sickness/runs and to keep fluids going in for a few hours as they often wont drink when they really should. Its just to stop her getting dehydrated. Let us know how she gets on. Hope shes better very soon.

Back