• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby's sick

nursejess80

We had to take Ruby to the vet last Friday because she vomited 3 times in 30 minutes. She's always been a bit of a puker (not very often, though), and she had thrown up maybe 2 or 3 times throughout the week. She also wasn't urinating as often....maybe 2 times per day instead of the usual 5 or 6. She was still acting fine, though, and wasn't lethargic or anything. Anyway, we were concerned and were leaving her with my parents for the weekend and didn't want her to get sicker there. The vet said she had struvite and amorphous crystals in her urine and that she had a UTI. She's now on Simplicef antibiotics and some prescription food to I believe get rid of the crystals. She's doing very well and playful as usual, but I'm concerned that she may have to be on a special diet the rest of her life. Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? They said she could be at risk for bladder stones because of the crystals. I remember my dachshund having them when I was a child and having to have surgery to have them removed because they were so big. Ruby doesn't have any stones (yet), so I was hoping for some advice on what to do about her diet. She's been eating Wellness and seems to like it, but I want to make sure that the food I'm giving her isn't causing her problems. Oh, and on a side note, SOOOO glad we have insurance on our little girl!!

I had similar problems with India in the past. Could you find out from your vet if her urine pH is too acidic or not acidic enough? Then I will tell you what we did.

I don't have any advice, but wanted to say I hope Ruby is better soon. It is so worrisome when they are not well.

:dogwlk:

Oh poor Ruby. Hope she is better soon. I'm sure she will be once the antibiotics kick in. Just out of interest how did you catch the urine sample from Ruby? I dread the day I have to catch one from Sally.

Ruby's doing great on her food and meds....she's peeing a whole lot more because her food has so much water in it, so that's kind of driving me crazy. But other than that, things are going well. I'll have to ask them about the acidity of her urine. As far as collecting her urine went, they did an ultrasound-guided urinalysis. Not too sure how that worked, but they didn't seem to have a problem doing it. I would hate to have to catch it myself! They are getting another sample once she finishes her meds, so hopefully everything will turn out great.

Glad Ruby is feeling better. Bella had UTI when I first got her. Luckily she hasn't had one since. May I ask what Insurance you have on her? I am looking in to getting some for my cav and my mixed breed. I want comprehensive to cover ANYTHING that can come up!!! (I am considering Embrace) Thanks for info!:)

Back