• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Star at vets this morning

sugarkane74

Just dropped here off and she's not in season so she's being spayed and having her umbilical hernia fixed at the same time. I do worry about the general anesthetic though but am sure she'll be fine.

The house seems really empty now without her :(. Going to go shopping and keep busy til they call me to pick her up.

Thinking of you and Star today :flwr:. My Gabby had her spay a few weeks ago, I was amazed how well she was afterwards, when I brought her home later that day she slept mostly, but the next day she was back to herself :). You'll find the hardest part will be keeping her calm for the next 10 days :).
She'll soon be back home with you :hug:.

Sat - Lots of Hugs

We are all thinking of you and Star - and once she sees you- lots of hugs will be waiting for you:luv:

I'm sure you have a photo to hand - and give a kiss - every moment :luv:

She will be safely back with you soon. But is always a relief when you make that phone call to the vet and get confirmation that they are awake and ok! Good idea to do a bit of shopping to fill in that time.

Thank you everyone. They said they'd phone me between 12-3 pm to let me know how she is and to arrange to pick her up but I've not had a phone call yet. Am assuming no news is good news... but if I've not heard by 2.30 will give them a quick call.

Might have to bring her crate back in the living room tonight in case our other dog tries to entice her to play.

Star's home

I've got back from picking her up and she was pleased to see me, little tail was wagging but very subdued, groggy and a bit wobbly. Got all the bits from the vets and she's settled asleep in her basket now at my feet. Will see what happens when hubby gets home with Vinnie (our other dog) as to where or not we need the crate. She's also got one of those bucket things to wear when we're not in the room with her or if she starts licking at her stitches.

She's trembling a bit but am putting that down to the trauma/effects of the anasthetic wearing off. I'm just glad to have her home with me now. Not planning on going anywhere tomorrow so will be able to keep an eye on her and make lots of fuss. :lotsaluv:

Lots of people put their Cavaliers in little human "onesies" with a hole for the tail instead of using the collar. The stitches are covered so they can not be licked and the onesies is a lot more cmfortable. Might think about running out for a couple if she is unhappy in the collar. She will be fine in a day or two!

Lots of people put their Cavaliers in little human "onesies" with a hole for the tail instead of using the collar. The stitches are covered so they can not be licked and the onesies is a lot more cmfortable. Might think about running out for a couple if she is unhappy in the collar. She will be fine in a day or two!

Sorry, being a bit thick here but what are onesies?? Is that like a babygro or something?? :confused:

Thanks.. my heart goes out to my little darling. She looks very bewildered and yelps if she moves too quickly in her bed. The stitches do look a little tight though.

Going to try to feed her a little in half hour.

Poor babe, she sound in pain, how many stitches did Star have? Gabby only had 2 and she was great, but then Star had a hernia repair also.
Gabby was starving the evening of her spay, the vet gave a special food (can't remember what it was called) and she wolfed it down.
I am sure Star will be okay soon, it is awful to see then in pain :hug:

She's got about 4-5 stitches and as I said it looks as though they've stitched her very tight but maybe that was necessary coz of the hernia. The skin is like 2 little lumps not smooth like I thought it would be.. dont know if that makes sense?!!

She's had some of the special food the vet provided although I did have to hand feed it and she's settled in her bed again but the poor little girl really doesn't know why she's in pain. I've also boiled some chicken and rice for the morning which I'll put her Metacalm on.

Just wish I could give her a big cuddle but dont want to hurt her

Sorry, being a bit thick here but what are onesies?? Is that like a babygro or something?? :confused:

Yes, they work great and look cute in them. Those cones are so uncomfortable looking. We picked up a multi pack at Target of cotton "Onesie" type baby outfits for less than $10.00. Dottie is 16lbs and she wore a 12 month old size comfortably. Just pull it on over the head and put the legs in the arm and leg holes. The bottom area has snaps, so you can either cut a hole for the tail or unsnap one of the snaps and run the tail through, whichever fits your dog better. When it is time to go out for potty, just unsnap the bottom area and roll up to the neck until she is done. Then pull it down and resnap. Works great, and we never had any issues with scratching or licking the covered area.(y)

Thanks guys.. I can't get one now so will see how she gets on with the collar on, she's gonna be sleeping with us in the bedroom so can keep an eye/ear out for her.. if it's a no go though will get one tomorrow. x

Back