• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

static-y cavs?

Maggles

It's our first Autumn with Maggie and just this week she has started picking up an electric charge. I guess the weather has changed just enough to dry everything out in southern CA.

Our apartment is carpeted and with those little feathered feet, it's like she's walking around in socks and touching doorknobs all the time. We have to remember to touch her back leg before getting a kiss.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any advice on how to stop the zapping? I think we're going to have to cover all her bedding with a pillowcase, she was miserable and complaining (she is always so good!) when she had to go to bed last night.

~lorna

:confused::confused:

Well, I wish I could send some of our humidity your way but soon we'll be heavy into the heating season and drying out. Only solution that I know is to add moisture to your inside air with some type of humidifier-there are large size and room size ones. You can boil water on the stove as a stopgap but that gets old on a daily basis. Leaving the bathroom door open when showering can add some nice moisture, also. Most humidifiers for babies are cold air ones so is it possible to borrow one to see if that works for you? My son lives in Phoenix and they use 2 humidifiers when the air dries out. If you buy a humidifier always check on cost of filters for the unit you like-some filters are very expensive to change and they do need changing at least annually. Good luck in your efforts at keeping the "charges" down :).

It IS very dry here in So Calif right now, I agree! When I brush Dottie's ears they floof up with static cling too, but I haven't had the shock effect yet and she is happy and could care less.

Today when I brushed her I took an unscented "Bounce" dryer sheet and lightly ran it over her coat. That seemed to do the trick and eliminated her static cling. (y)

Today when I brushed her I took an unscented "Bounce" dryer sheet and lightly ran it over her coat. That seemed to do the trick and eliminated her static cling. (y)

I do that for my childrens' hair when it is full of static. I rub the fabric softener sheet on the brush before I brush their hair with it. It works great.

I live in Wisconsin and Maverick loves to roll around in the back seat of my car before I buckle him and always fluffs up. Maybe try some doggie leave in conditioner.

this is really good advice, thanks!! (y)

a humidifier and scent-free dryer sheets....... great ideas, i will try both.

oooh.. and leave-in conditioner! i'll have to look for this.

Ouch.....I felt that shock over here :p the air has been so dry lately I am constantly getting a shock. The first time I touched one of the dogs and we shocked each other they looked at me like "now why did you do that??!!" I've learned to touch a piece of furniture first ;) And grooming absolutely needs to be done with a grooming spray.....I tried to do a quick brush on Jake yesterday and his hair just stood up all over.

Back