• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

No pull harness is hurting Lucy - suggestions

LucyDog

Hi there,
Well, I have now purchased my second no pull harness for Lucy (one was the Gentle Leader and the other Sensation) . Anyway, they both seem to be causing chafing on the underside of her belly (kind of near what would be her armpit). I don't know what type of harness to switch to or if there is a way to make sure these stop hurting her. I have adjusted the fit so that it matches the picture in the directions exactly. Lucy is a pretty awful puller....dog training hasn't helped much....she gets SO excited on her walk that she can't contain herself. Anyone had a similar problem w/ a no pull harness and if so, what type of harness did you end up with?

Thanks,
Aimee

Why do you think it is actually hurting her?

Any harness will cause a certain amount of chafing but properly fitted -- eg ot tight -- a no pull harness will not chafe.

If you have a serious puller it sounds like you need to address this with training in conjunction with harnesses though? Training to address the pulling is really the better answer. (y)

I had a no pull harness but it made a little scab under Dylan's arm. I think it would have been better if the straps were softer and wider. I use a step in harness now and a double ended lead. I attach one end to the back and one to the front, this works like a balance harness and stops some pulling.

Why do you think it is actually hurting her?

Any harness will cause a certain amount of chafing but properly fitted -- eg ot tight -- a no pull harness will not chafe.

If you have a serious puller it sounds like you need to address this with training in conjunction with harnesses though? Training to address the pulling is really the better answer. (y)

She isn't crying while she wears it but she seems sore where it is chafing her when I brush her after her walk. She doesn't want me to go near that spot. I have adjusted the harness several times, but it still seems to be chafing. I will try adjusting it again.

I do agree w/ working on the pulling and believe me I do but with the no pull harness she actually doesn't pull very much (hence the reason for using it) however, if she sees ANYTHING that moves...bird, squirrel, butterfly, airplaine....she just becomes unglued and feels the need to chase after it. We live on the bay surrounded by a wild game preserve, so there are birds, rabbits, squirrels etc... every few feet and Lucy just goes nuts for small animals. I haven't found a treat yet that can distract her when she has homed in on some small critter. Can you train this hunting instinct out of them?

Aimee

LOL, probably not. They are spaniels, after all. Some Cavs seem to have a really strong hunting/retrieving instinct, whereas others couldn't care less. Maybe try putting something soft and foamy around the straps where you think it's pulling to cushion - if she's still showing signs of pain I'd take her to the vet.

Is it possible to make a soft sleeve to slip on the strap that is bothering her? I'm thinking of something on the order of the ones they make for the car seatbelts or could you improvise one made out of soft flannel?

Back