• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal gland pain

meljoy

Hi Leo is being treated for an infected anal gland at the moment, he's on antibiotics but last night he was chewing at his backside so hard he made it bleed. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to soothe him. I put him in the bath today and gently washed his rear end which has helped alittle, although he wasnt very happy with me! How long will the pain last? I have to take him back to the vet on friday for a check up.....I presume she'll try and empty them then when the infections cleared.
I was just hoping someone could tell me how to make it easier for him.....he's going through a lot at the moment what with one thing and another.

Thanks

Mel:confused:

I think a buster collar should have been given by the vet to stop him from getting round there , not much you can do to ease the pain about from give painkillers
one of my girls used to suffer with inpacked glands she eventually had them removed

Hi mel,
We've been through this a few weeks ago.I'm afraid there's little you can do other than let the antibiotics take their course.It takes approx 48 hours for them to kick in fully and you'll see a fast recovery from then on.The vet can express them very easily once the infection is treated and it'll be a bit oozy for a day or two after that.
Sins

Thanks Sins,

He's actually much better today....only having the occasional nip! Im due to take him back this week. As long as I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel I feel better. Many thanks again.

Mel:rah:

Back