• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weird problem...

iLikeCavs

This isn't the first time it's happened, but it's kind of bothering me. Mya has always been a little shy. I mean, she's fine around my family, my grandparents but when we have company, the problem starts. Mya has her way of greeting everyone, and its the same every time. When she meets someone new, she rolls over on her belly. For example today, She rolled over for a friend of ours, he rubbed her belly and she yelped! There can't be something wrong, i rub her belly everyday. This has happened several times. Then she'll be a little timid but still fine. She will lick their hand, etc. But is this just a phase? Is it cause she's shy? is there something wrong? Basic summary, she yelps when strangers rub her belly, and not with my family, and/or people she knows well.

I find that Maisy is a yelper. Sometimes if I reach out and pull her over when my hand presses in on her tummy a bit she yelps as if I've hurt her but I know I haven't. I think she yelps ' in anticipation' of even more pressure on her tummy. Maybe your dog, because she is shy of strangers, yelps because she is unsure if they will be gentle?? Cavaliers, on the average, seem to be a sensitive breed.

Any dog that is yelping for any reason needs to be vet checked to be sure the dog isn't actually feeling any pain or discomfort. A dog that is feeling pain may not indicate this to people the dog knows but cry out with those it doesn't know.

A vet can tell if a dog is showing discomfort.

Cavaliers are definitely not more sensitive to touch than other breeds -- I've handled lots of all types of dogs in general and my own rescue work and handled well over a hundred rescue cavaliers and they very definitely are not more sensitive or prone to hurting. But, and this is a very big BUT: they do have some health issues that can cause them more pain than some other breeds including syringomyelia. It is not normal for a dog to cry out when touched or startled and this really should be investigated further by a vet.

If a vet gives the all clear then I'd consider whether the way in which the dog is touched is startling it or unpleasant to the dog in other ways. For the situation where the dog cries out when strangers touch her -- I'd simply have strangers refrain from touching her. She isn't initiating contact by rolling over, she is showing how timid she is by this submissive gesture and touching her after she does this may be scary for her (dogs that are initiating belly rubs are far more outgoing and happy when they show their belly). Instead I'd have people refrain from touching her and ignore her and wait for her to actually come over and initiate an interaction herself. That will gradually allow her to build up confidence herself to seek interactions.

Thanks for the replies! I'll check it out with the vet just to be sure. Karlin I will only allow guests to pet her if she goes up to them. Thanks again.

A vet can tell if a dog is showing discomfort.

Cavaliers are definitely not more sensitive to touch than other breeds -- I've handled lots of all types of dogs in general and my own rescue work and handled well over a hundred rescue cavaliers and they very definitely are not more sensitive or prone to hurting. B

By sensitive I meant that perhaps they are more easily intimidated. My vet actually called Maisy 'a bit of a suke (sp?)'! :)

Back