• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does your cavalier talk to you?

ice-cavi

Apparently my little Kia is a little chitchatter :)
She "speaks" all day long,everthing from deep-throat-growling-moaning(in a happy-way) to high pitched catlike cries.
Whenever she wants something or needs help(to get down from the sofa,reach a toy etc) she starts speaking.
When a family member comes home from school or work or simply taking the trash out she will greet him/her in a crying whining sound...sometimes she gets so exited it´s sounds like someone is torturing her:eek: She is not a barker (yet:xfngr:) and will never growl as in growling but is this common with cavalirs? I know her daddy is quite a carackter and also speaks alot.
It may sound like she is very insecure but she is not ,on the contrary Kia is a tough little cookie with lots of spunk.

Last edited:
Yes Jaspar is a bit like that. He has perfected a special shriek too, reserved for when he wants something or I disappear out of sight. :rolleyes:

My tricolor Dudley (at the bridge) :( was like that. He'd "talk" nonstop, especially to my husband. I miss that so much. Jasper doesn't do it, at least not yet, but he communicates a lot with his eyes. :lotsaluv:

Lori

India has become very verbal since her hearing loss. She reminds me of "Lassie", where she whines to get our attention.

Bandit is a major "talker" and I am learning to decode his special yips, woofs, growl-whines, "purrs" etc. I know what you mean!

Molly is a chatterbox, too: Whining for attention from guests and people we meet on the street (a bit embarassing sometimes), growling/howling sounds like Chewbacca from Star Wars, when she is playing, a high pitched bark if she wants something, a grunt if she is happy etc.... It is so funny to identify all those sounds :D

Gus and Pippin do this 'talking' too..Pippin's is a kind of whining/shrieking when he wants something, but Gus sounds like he is trying to actually talk and he gets up in your face when he does it and looks straight in your eyes!

I've found the opposite & they dont "talk" very much compared to my kcs & my papillon.
I remember a few years ago driving home with a rescue cav & thinking how silent she was.

Our first cavalier used to sneeze when she wanted something

My three will make a polite little sneezing sounds to get our attention so we'll open the door to let them outside. :)

Both of my previous dogs did the same thing!

My Cav Mindy has become much more verbal since our Golden, Zeus passed away. She whines desperately when I come home at lunch until we've had a bit of a cuddle and whines with excitement when it's time to go out for our walk.

Oliver makes little harumphing noises when he wants to go out - almost like a little sneeze except he adds a little throaty sound to it. Oz is such a talker. He's always making some type of noises like little Kia, whereas both of my girls are pretty silent unless an animal is on television. Then they all makes soft whines, yips, growls, etc. Pretty funny.

Jake is a talk too he does a gowl noise not a nasty gowl but when he is asking for something a bark when we go out and a bark if I go out without him when I come back Jazzie my old dog also bark when I come back has well
Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Rex 'sings' to me when I give him cuddles :rotfl:
Its the cutest thing ever and I think he's even starting to recognise the phrase 'sing me a song' because when I say this he whimpers/cries even more - it melts me every time..

Goodness yes!!! My breeder informed me at about 6 weeks that I had a talker. And boy do I!! Jake is very vocal. Shelby completely the opposite. She's as quiet as a mouse but will "speak up" when Jake starts talking. And boy is he demanding!! And persistent :cool:

Haha ,it´s lovely to hear that mine is not the only one using her mouth:D
they are so funny and its´really sweet:)

I agree that they have the cutest vocalizations. All my dogs are real talkers, but there is just something about the way cavs do it.

Around here, Bandit will "say something" and all of us in a chorus will go "awwww, how cute!" and then, of course Bandit gets what he wants....:rolleyes:

Dottie is quiet as a mouse. She saves her short set of barkies for the neighbor cat that taunts her from the top of the fence. When she is inside with me and she wants something, she just does the paw thing, then sits and STARES at me and waits for me to go through the list of things she might be interested in at the moment. Such as, cookie time, tummy rub or tug-of-war with her halloween bat toy.

My sisters Aussie terrier on the other hand could have a full dog conversation with us and you can just imagine what he is trying to tell you!

If Scarlett is looking at you and you say something to her she barks at you as if shes frustrated you cant understand her! and sometimes if you bark at her she copies the bark your doing its amazing!:eek:

OMG! So funny! Charlie likes to talk too. He especially does it with my husband. He does a little jump and does this bark (woo,woo, woo sound) and stares at you while doing it. My husband copies him and they go at it for a while, it's hysterical to watch them.

And this coming from a man who didn't want a dog in the first place! LOL!!!

Back