• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo's got to have surgery

meljoy

HI.
Took Leo to the vet again re; his anal glands, the vet tried again unsuccessfully to clear them so....he's back on the antibiotics and she said he'll have to go in for a general anaestetic on Tuesday so they can clear them and wash them out while he's alseep.
Does anyone know what the recovery time is like and what I can expect?
Im really hoping this sorts it out for him. The vet also suggested I give him profibre to help clear them.....anyone else use this or is something else I can try to help keep them clear.
Thanks....
Mel:(

Just wanted to wish you and Leo all the best.
A friend of mine had her dog in for the same reason and she was her usual self again after 2 days;)

Cinders had to have an operation on her anal glands about 5 years ago.They had become impacted and one side had ulcerated - poor love she wasn'tshowing any symptoms apart from an occasional worried look at her rear end:(
Anyway the day after the surgery she was running around as normal with no after effects whatsover.
To date she has had no further problems, the vet always checks them and maybe does a manual clear out once or twice a year. She is now 9.

I am sure Leo will feel much better after his operation - wishing him good luck for Tuesday.:xfngr:

Poor Leo. I know it's a soft food but Chappie is full of fiber and is the only thing to keep Dylan solid, worth a try.

Give Leo a kiss from his Auntie Pauline. :hug:

Thanks everyone,
I know I'll be worried on Tuesday but I really hope it makes him feel better. Its nice to hear other dogs with simular surgery were up and running around the next day.

Mel XX:xfngr:

You can also do things like add a bit of crumbled Weetabix and raw veggies like frozen green beans to help add in fibre.

I hope Leo is in and out quickly and back playing again! I'd say he will wake up a lot more comfortable than he is now.

Peaches used to have trouble with her glands. The vet suggested bran and as far as i could tell it was going straight through her. Chappie original is the only thing i have found that will help. 100% firm all the time. i feed half and half with james wellbeloved AND i clean her teeth.

Back