• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Been up half the night with Harley

Sabby

I was up most of the night with Harley my10 week old pup, he had an upset tummy. I finally got some sleep about 5 o’clock this morning. I really don’t know what could have upset his tummy. I haven’t changed his food the only thing I gave him different are some James Beloved Treat Biscuits. Is he to young to have them? I have made an appointment at 11 o clock this morning to see the vet. The thing is, he is now hungry and he is playing with the other dogs like nothing was wrong with him. I hope the vet doesn’t think I am an overprotective mum as I taken an emergency appointment.

Sabby

Don't worry about vet. If you were up half the night then you have good reason to take him this morning. Good luck and let us know.

Just got back from the vet. He felt Harleys tummy and checked his temperature and that all seems ok. The vet thinks that it could have been the biscuits I gave him. He gave Harley an injection, and said to just feed him little and often with chicken and rice.
Sabby

You were right to make an appointment, especially if you had a bad night. Diarrhea can be very serious in a young pup! Chicken and rice which is nice and bland, is often recommended to get them back on track.

When you say 'some' biscuits, I'd guess he just had to much to eat perhaps too. Remember that little kids can get upset tummies from eating too much or eating new foods too so moderation is always a good idea and pups can quickly go way past their daily food ration with treats -- so treats should be sparingly given. Break up a single biscuit and instead just give a few tiny pieces to a pup. (y)

I hope Harley is past his illness. I know when Pixie was small she was very sensitive to anything new in her diet, even a small treat. She had scary bloody diarrhea one time that took $450.00 in vet bills and tests to figure out absolutely nothing. In time I realized she just had a real sensitive tummy. As she got older (5 or 6 months) she was able to handle a bigger variety of treats.
Bandit had his tummy get messed up over some treats once, too, but it lasted about half a day.
You might want to limit anything different in his diet and wait until he is older.
For Pixie, with training, I just used her dogfood as treats to keep from messing up her tummy.

Thank you all for your replies. Fingers crossed Harley is on his way to recovery. He is his usual happy hyper self. He had a little chicken and rice and is fast asleep now. He has only been once, but I guess that is the injection. So I hope I will get some sleep tonight.
Regarding the treat biscuits, they are very small and he had three. And I thought he be ok with them because they are James Well Beloved and Harley eats their kibble. I know I have to be careful with the puppy pedigree mackies. They don’t seem to agree with him, but I thought James Well Beloved is good quality food. Maybe it’s to rich for him; I will give them a miss.
Sabby

I'm glad he's improving and that you got him in to the vet so quickly. (y) Whenever a 10 week old puppy is ill I consider that an emergency. They can go downhill very quickly, so it's really good that you got him an emergency appointment. I'm sure the vet agrees it was an emergency!

I had a good night sleep, and Harley is fine. I will keep him on Chicken & Rice for a few more days. My two girls think its Christmas being feed Chicken every day. I recently changed vets and they are lovely. Don’t know why I thought they would think I am an overprotective mum.
Sabby

Back