• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Oral Hygiene

cecily

Looking for some oral hygiene advice...
Who brushes their dogs teeth??!

Dora has very bad teeth. The vet chose not to clean them when she was being spayed because of the risk of releasing bacteria. She said to try using rawhide sticks etc and also a special dental kibble and bring her back in a little while for another checkup to see if they've improved any.

HI! When I adopted Stella 3 years ago (she's 7 years old now), one of the stipulations was she have a dental (believe me she needed it). Her breath and teeth were horrible! She also had to have some teeth extracted! She has had one dental since. I brush her teeth twice a week (I probably should do it more). I have found that the dental wipes wrapped around my finger work well with her. I also like petzlife (spelling?) spray or gel. She should probably have a dental at least once a year (probably needs one twice a year). But I'm doing the best I can!:) She's due in Dec. to have her checkup and we make an appt. for another dental then.

Hi,
I brush Leo's teeth with a dog toothpaste once or twice a week. He also has rawhides and the occasional dentastick. He doesnt like his teeth being done and sometimes its like a wrestling match but worth it Im sure.

Mel:rah:

Dylan loves having his teeth brushed. I alternate between Logic and Virbac dog toothpaste. I used a rubber finger brush and sometimes try a soft children's brush.(y)

I use Virbac toothpaste and a child's soft toothbrush.

Virbac also makes thin rawhide squares that are coated with chlorhexidine - these work great for cleaning their teeth, but you have to keep a close eye on the dogs for choking hazard.

I brush mine, but not as often as I should. They also get Greenies and other dental treats and flat sheet rawhides or cigar rawhides --these are hard for them to bits chunks off of and I take them away when they get small. Bad teeth tend to be part due to what they have been fed (or not fed) and what care thy have been given, and genetics. I have two five year old dogs in rescue at the moment with great teeth, and another that just had a bunch of extractions. Jaspar and Leo are the same age with the same father and fed the same and Leo has bad teeth, Jaspar good teeth.

HI

I brush my three every night first wit a dog toothpaste then again with logic gel then I give them a small logic gel tooth cleaning chew to finish off with .I also put plaque off on their food and add aquadent to their water

HI! I have used plaque off and aquadent, too, but found that it didn't really help mine all that much...they do get dental chews (one of their favorites and mine, too, is Fresh Sticks from Health Pro...all natural and easily digestible). I don't use rawhide, but I do like to use these pork hide chew called "porkchomps". My 3 do really well with them.:)

Joey has fairly good teeth, just a bit of staining. Sadie has bad teeth, in spite of brushing her teeth daily. They are both fed the same diet and treats, so I guess it must be genetics. I tried various toothpaste's, products the vet recommended, dental chews, plaque off, etc. but nothing helped. And she's food motivated and thinks the dental stuff are good things and loves to get her teeth brushed. Sadie went in for a dental last spring and two months later the vet was looking her over and noticed that her teeth were getting bad again in spite of all the hard work of cleaning her teeth daily! So I tried PetzLife gel and spray and its working!! Her teeth are all shiney clean again! I'm not affiliated with the company, just a very happy customer! :) Good luck!

(y)Hi Teri

Thanks for the advise re the Petzlife products ,for a change I can get some of the US goods in the UK so have just ordered some spray and Gel ,by the time I will have finished fussing over the girls at night time its gonna be 2 Pm by the time I get to bed.

Best wishes and thank you

Brian (y)

(y)Hi Teri

Thanks for the advise re the Petzlife products ,for a change I can get some of the US goods in the UK so have just ordered some spray and Gel ,by the time I will have finished fussing over the girls at night time its gonna be 2 Pm by the time I get to bed.

Best wishes and thank you

Brian (y)

Back